FedEx Freight | getting heavy into purchase trucks again

sharpshooter

TB Veteran
Credits
looks like fedex contracted everybody they could to haul our freight!! I ran 500mi mty behind a contractor going the same direction. Looks like that's how they've decided to move economy afterall:17113:

fuel going up wonder how purchase power will do but then again fxf dont have to buy equiptment no maintenance (none now) no 401 k match no pension no benifits profit before people

they all make more money with high fuel, including fedex. Word is, they are gonna cut out relay points between economy hubs and use natl's old contractors that pulled sets. More layoffs to come soon

Was instructed to back-strip a perfectly loaded, 21 bill pup destined for Phoenix, Group, Proper. Had to wait for the purchase trailer (PIGs as we call them) to back into the door beside the pup...ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz. Holy schmoly, football fields worth of space and this guy couldn't hit a watermelon with a snow shovel let alone the dock. Once the freight was back-stripped to the dock the red shirt told me to "floor" load the PIG. Nothing was/got stacked. Easy,cheesy,squeezy. All so the PIG could go to Phoenix with a load.. The pup would never of had to been touched all the way to the Valley Of The Sun. I got an extra hour on the dock but it "cut the grass" of a FXF driver(s).

I've been on the "pig" side before coming to FXF. Not with Fedex though. I pulled for Estes under their dispatch. I basically walked in with 10 hours to drive and they asked which way I wanted to go. It wasn't all year though. Just their busy times. They do that so they don't have to hire guys to drive during the busy months to turn around and have to lay them off. It amazes me to read how so many think that FXF is out to get them.

If ya don't work here you wouldn't know. 2 years ago I was told to take a layoff or transfer so they could elimate my position to save 7 miles each way so don't come to my board thinking you have all the answers.

Gee, and we were all told that PT was only used to fill dead lanes, where it is not profitable to run an empty set. Must be alot of dead lanes in both diretions coming to the Pac NW daily!! from all points!!

I've been on the "pig" side before coming to FXF. Not with Fedex though. I pulled for Estes under their dispatch. I basically walked in with 10 hours to drive and they asked which way I wanted to go. It wasn't all year though. Just their busy times. They do that so they don't have to hire guys to drive during the busy months to turn around and have to lay them off. It amazes me to read how so many think that FXF is out to get them.
the difference is, this is not the "busy" time and plenty of people sitting home ( I made 0 last week) Plus we are pulling mty's right behind them. Does that make sense?

BTW when did fedex become a sponsor on TB? Anybody notice that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing my best to get my hands on the travel copies of the next purchase trailer that I have to load/unload. I will contact each customer and let them know that the 'premium service' that they're paying for is bullshit. I bet when they start to figure out that they're paying big money for the lowest class of trucking service, they will find another company to haul their freight.

heynow said:
I'm doing my best to get my hands on the travel copies of the next purchase trailer that I have to load/unload. I will contact each customer and let them know that the 'premium service' that they're paying for is bullshit. I bet when they start to figure out that they're paying big money for the lowest class of trucking service, they will find another company to haul their freight.

Every company does this. Customers don't care how it gets there as long as it gets there when is supposed to. Also hope you don't have many bills because unemployment doest pay all that much. Also purposely trying to get customers to leave is not a good idea. Hopefully your the first person to get let go.

Did you ever think the Great Railroad has not delivered what they said they could ?
I have had a lot of dealings with the UP over the years and their Motto "We Deliver " is true. Just not when you want them too

If ya don't work here you wouldn't know. 2 years ago I was told to take a layoff or transfer so they could elimate my position to save 7 miles each way so don't come to my board thinking you have all the answers.

I do work here Clandestin. It was when I was an owner operator. Woke up from that nightmare about 2 years ago. Not saying that is whats going on here at FXF though, I was just trying to shine the light on what could be the other side.

I honestly don't think FXF is out to get us.

I can't even believe I'm taking the time to respond to this.There have been some really asinine statements here but you sir, get the award for being incredibly delusional. You're going to "dial" yourself and others out of a job. I'm sure the companies you call have some real whiners working for them also. They'll figure you out. You should hook up with Mr. "I'll stab a skid of hazmat" and become a team. Plenty of sleeper trucks in the backyard in CLT.

Every company does this. Customers don't care how it gets there as long as it gets there when is supposed to. Also hope you don't have many bills because unemployment doest pay all that much. Also purposely trying to get customers to leave is not a good idea. Hopefully your the first person to get let go.

You don't really believe your own horseshit, do you, Hillbilly? Let me make sure that I understand you, correctly. EVERY company does this? So, Barr-Nunn, which is a major carrier for purchased transportation, has other companies that they use to haul their freight, too? So, in essence, nobody really trucks their own goods. Hmmm, interesting. I've only been trucking for 23 years and I'm learning so much from you, Hillbilly.
2nd item I've learned from you...
'Customers do not care how it gets there as long as it gets there when is (sic) supposed to" Are you SURE about that comment, too, Hillbilly? See, that's where your horseshit really gets deep because, again, although I've only been trucking for 23+ years, I DO think the customers care about how and where their money goes. It's like me going to the Mercedes Benz dealer and paying for a brand new CL600 Coupe but, at delivery, they only gave me a Volkswagen Beetle. Different cars, different classes, different brands. I truly feel full of new knowlege that only Hillbilly can teach.
No, I don't have many bills...
Informing customers that they're being lied to IS a good idea and it shows the exact integrity (look up the definition, you might learn something) that this company doesn't possess.
Oh, and I'm still here and I doubt I'll be let go. If I am, it's only because the 60+ below me were 'let go' first. I'll let them know that you are hoping for just that. Did you work for Massengill with leemcabee before FXF? Taste testers, right?

I can't even believe I'm taking the time to respond to this.There have been some really asinine statements here but you sir, get the award for being incredibly delusional. You're going to "dial" yourself and others out of a job. I'm sure the companies you call have some real whiners working for them also. They'll figure you out. You should hook up with Mr. "I'll stab a skid of hazmat" and become a team. Plenty of sleeper trucks in the backyard in CLT.

I don't 'dial', ButtCup. I email. 21st century, 10-4? You should hook up with leemcabee and hillbilly at Massengill Douche. Now, THAT is a team!
You can thank me later for saving jobs here at FXF. It's allll about youuuuuuuu, clown.

Ohhh, E-mail...That is a convenient way to "hide" behind the computer instead of stepping out into the light,climbing up on your soapbox and letting them know there is a REAL person trying to save the economic world. Are you going to go knocking on the doors of everyone who has a residential delivery? You said all customers and they too are customers. At Least we know that while you are busy contacting all the customers that have freight on a PIG (I've seen 50+ bills on one) you won't be here stinking up the place. It's pretty easy to get your hands on the travel copies. Just walk up to an empty dock stand, put in the info needed and hit print. There is your bundle of joy just for your entertainment purposes. Better yet, Tell a Red Shirt your intentions and ask if they will print off a new set of travel copies for you. If your so adamant about your quest, you should have the fortitude to be up front and not feel challenged.

...and to the Moderators. I want to express the fact that I now feel threatened by this member's post. He is doing his best effort to eliminate jobs which may include mine. I take this as a verbal threat and asked that it be reviewed and the member be acknowledge as a threat to all in the same position as myself. My well being along with others that this threat may effect must go against Terms Of Service that this board holds to their standards. A follow up will be appreciated.

Heynow, if you are so concerned with the customer knowing the truth that they could care less about as long as it gets there when FDX says they will, then you need to step up and tell the truth to ie, Your Real name address and where you are domiciled! I know that wont happen so take a stand down and be a good little trucker and enjoy your pay and be glad you have a job. By the way I ain't scared my handle is just that and I'm out of Day. And I don't believe you have the guts to do what you say so there I'm calling you out brother MAN UP OR SHUT UP!!! Your talking crap dude!

Customers don't care how it gets there as long as it gets there when is supposed to.

How long have you been in this business?
No , it doesn't matter to some customers, but others use FedEx because of our so-called "seamless" network.
FedEx sells that they (supposedly) don't "interline"...or hand-off freight like other outfits do.
Look at some of the other LTL's service maps and they use "partner carriers" to deliver freight to areas they don't have a presence in.
There are customers who pay-up to use FedEX because the salesperson sells them on the benefits of our "seamless" FedEx-only network.
The benefits of which are more security, less handling & damages (of course the salesperson doesn't bother to mention part-time dock), and the peace-of-mind that one carrier is handling their freight.
I know for a fact that if some customers found out FedEx was putting their freight on an outside carrier without their knowledge, they wouldn't use us.
Especially at alot of OTR outfits with drivers making .25 cpm, barely speak English, running over curbs, etc.
But what do you care that ScumEx is a bunch of liars and they're taking work away from your fellow drivers and giving it to these road outfits?
Maybe when it happens to YOU, you'll understand...but by then it'll be too late...