FedEx Freight | getting heavy into purchase trucks again

sharpshooter said:
BTW when did fedex become a sponsor on TB? Anybody notice that?

Sponsor and advertise are different things. TruckingBoards is sponsored by Jeff and only Jeff

Our larger customers get delivery reports and smaller shippers track their shipments and get feed back from their customers. If the price is right and the freight is on time with minimum claims they don't care how it gets there. A truck driver is a truck driver in their minds. If FedEx using contractors keeps their shipping costs down, so be it. Don't bother e-mailing or calling our customers they know exactly what is going on.

From what I've seen from many of the purchase Drviers the Customer late freight is 9 times out of 10 due to the ineptness of these Drivers of purchase trailers.
If the weather is even remotetly bad, most shut down. That is if they grab the right trailer from their yards to begin with. Twice in the last 3 months a purchase trailer has been brought to our hub without our freight. Drivers grabbed the wrong trailer from their relay yard 295 miles away. The first time it happened the Driver actually had a empty and did not seem to notice it was pulling a little light..
They are consitently late if they get there at all before Hub Drivers have to leave.
There is a reason they get the inept people they get. How many Customers do we lose just due to these azzclowns who could give a crap less about our Customers? It's really another case of tripping over a dollar to save a nickel. Sounds like a way to cut costs, but is it?

From what I've seen from many of the purchase Drviers the Customer late freight is 9 times out of 10 due to the ineptness of these Drivers of purchase trailers.
If the weather is even remotetly bad, most shut down. That is if they grab the right trailer from their yards to begin with. Twice in the last 3 months a purchase trailer has been brought to our hub without our freight. Drivers grabbed the wrong trailer from their relay yard 295 miles away. The first time it happened the Driver actually had a empty and did not seem to notice it was pulling a little light..
They are consitently late if they get there at all before Hub Drivers have to leave.
There is a reason they get the inept people they get. How many Customers do we lose just due to these azzclowns who could give a crap less about our Customers? It's really another case of tripping over a dollar to save a nickel. Sounds like a way to cut costs, but is it?

HaHa now that $hit is funny

I'm doing my best to get my hands on the travel copies of the next purchase trailer that I have to load/unload. I will contact each customer and let them know that the 'premium service' that they're paying for is bullshit. I bet when they start to figure out that they're paying big money for the lowest class of trucking service, they will find another company to haul their freight.

Way to support the company. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Are you related to Varnco?

It's like me going to the Mercedes Benz dealer and paying for a brand new CL600 Coupe but, at delivery, they only gave me a Volkswagen Beetle. Different cars, different classes, different brands. I truly feel full of new knowlege that only Hillbilly can teach.

No, that would be getting a different product than what you pay for. If a customer hires FedEx to ship a pallet of freight from point A to point B, it doesn't matter about the logistics. As long as that pallet of freight gets picked up as promised and delivered to the place promised by the time promised, we fulfilled our side of the agreement. It doesn't matter if it went via FedEx truck, Hill Bros, or BNSF rail.

No, that would be getting a different product than what you pay for. If a customer hires FedEx to ship a pallet of freight from point A to point B, it doesn't matter about the logistics. As long as that pallet of freight gets picked up as promised and delivered to the place promised by the time promised, we fulfilled our side of the agreement. It doesn't matter if it went via FedEx truck, Hill Bros, or BNSF rail.

Yeah, who cares that there's men sitting at home with families to feed and shiny wheels are moving the freight?
As long as it doesn't happen to YOU.

Yeah, who cares that there's men sitting at home with families to feed and shiny wheels are moving the freight?
As long as it doesn't happen to YOU.

I do care. I was just pointing out the incorrect comparison Haynow made. I don't think the customer cares as long as the freight gets there on time.

I hate loading the pigs knowing that it's taking road drivers off the road. But I also want FedEx to be as profitable as possible to secure my future employment here. Do I agree with the use of PT? Nope, but that wasn't the reason I posted.

You don't agree with PT, and yet you want FedEx to be as "profitable as possible"?!?!?!?
Gotta pick one, driver.
You can't play both sides of the fence.
For FedEx to be "as profitable as possible", they are gonna use more PT, more rails, more contractors, etc and put more and more guys out of work.
Maybe it won't affect you...maybe it will only affect the guys below you.
But remember....those bottom guys with families to feed could have been YOU if things worked out differently.
And it may wind up being you someday...

If my gig at FedEx ends, so be it. You all act like FedEx is the only trucking company out there. I've had profitable jobs before this one and will have them after. If you would stop acting like everything Fred does is directed toward you personally, you'd be a lot better off. It's just a job. There are plenty of other jobs out there.

it says sponsor above the advertisement.....must be a mistake. Anyway, I remember one PT got a load that was suppose to run overnight but, he didn't drive at night, pulled out the gate, then took his 10..lol lol. Free freight for the customer since it was a day late. I dought that's the only time it has happened

Last edited by a moderator:
...and to the Moderators. I want to express the fact that I now feel threatened by this member's post. He is doing his best effort to eliminate jobs which may include mine. I take this as a verbal threat and asked that it be reviewed and the member be acknowledge as a threat to all in the same position as myself. My well being along with others that this threat may effect must go against Terms Of Service that this board holds to their standards. A follow up will be appreciated
LMAO...that explains the name "Buttercup"

sharpshooter said:
it says sponsor above the advertisement.....must be a mistake. Anyway, I remember one PT got a load that was suppose to run overnight but, he didn't drive at night, pulled out the gate, then took his 10..lol lol. Free freight for the customer since it was a day late. I dought that's the only time it has happened

You know what it prob does I can't see it I use forum runner. I know none of our advertisers or sponsors don't do anything but help pay the bills. Jeff is the only say into what goes on here. I just didn't want anyone to think different. You know how some guys think lol

Purchase transport rates vary in different parts of the country. 1.65 on the low end to 2.60 on the high end. Fuel surcharge is added to that.

It is cheaper for company drivers to haul the freight.

Don't know this for a fact, but I think at the moment the influx of PT is to compensate for the understaffed centers to supplement their boards until drivers can be hired or freight lanes can be reconfigured to bring our freight and staffing into balance. It isn't about unbalanced lanes at the moment.

Some centers in my srea are very short on drivers. Here at CMH we have to cancel a ton of runs every night and use those drivers on the extra board. Noone is sitting home here. I understand CLE has been blown out as well. Several of the shuttle drivers that run to CMH have been forced to do double turns and other centers have been via'ing in there to help every night, and they have more PT than ever up there.

It will take some time to get the work force back into balance with the freight levels. Then you will see the level of PT return to normal.

It is cheaper for company drivers to haul the freight.

PT is cheaper for one-way freight in unbalanced lanes.
But railroads are cheaper than company drivers.
As will be the truckload outfit they eventually buy (like CFI/Conway Truckload).
Or for going to a contractor model.
Otherwise, FedEx Ground would save $$$ by going to all company drivers, then?