R&L | Give us the info from the employee conference

Ok here's the story I heard from our member that was there, 1000 new trailers reserved for next couple months freight is expected to be falling off the docks, rl team trucks are being added when freight picks and also most team trucks will be updated soon. I heard a team talking our team member that attended conf. today. he said the attitude was teams are wanted and will a respected part of the team as always but rl will use all options without hurting us my feeling is this may save all of our jobs. He also said conway lost 43 million dollars last quarter and yrc lost close to a billion dollars last year and i think we held our own last quarter this is good for all of us if rl makes money teams city linehaul dock shop everyone. just a small minds thoughts. I never would have dreamed conway could loose 43 million one quarter.

Boss it seems like you think that City drivers jobs are more important than teams. Well at night when your in bed it's us teams that are out there away from home and our families moving that freight from state to state, and just like you we have families to provide for, so I think we all do equal share for the company and contribute in different ways, one without the other and the freight doesn't get moved. It does seem like the city drivers on here feel like as long as they have their jobs, then the rest of us need to just take what we can get and be satisfied to be working. Something doesn't sound fair here, I've been with the company for almost 10 years all as a team driver, and I feel like my job and all other team drivers deserve the same consideration as your job!!! And for the fact of the matter, just about everytime I go some where, wether it is on my time or R&L' s I look for and solicite future business. So we might only have 5 or 6 stops a week but it takes us 5000 or more miles to make them!!!!!
I can agree with you to a certain point. Lets not forget without the city drivers, L/H and teams don't exist. They have to p/u the freight to load our trl's.... It's a vicious circle we all have to work together.......

one huge problem with teams is the expense.....R&L has overpaid teams for years. Teams are only gone for a week at a time, they get weekends off and each member of the team makes over $1500.00 per week. Imagine if they only paid the team $2000.00 per week..still good money but more reasonable compensation.

before I get blasted by someone who cannot read the post above and understand what I typed I will spell it out....

a team used to run to the big house empty 1/2 of the time... no matter what was going on the team always ran to "WIL". There are more economical ways to move freight and R&L is exploring these options....and since the family owns the truckline they or their officers can make the rules...if you do not like the said rules either try and convince them to change them or change the company you work for. The company does not owe you anything more than a fair wage for your hours worked. Anything extra is bonus, quit whining about what you do not have and appreciate what you got.

Who do you think brings in the freight that you deliver? just because the teams make more money doesn't give the right for you to say our jobs aren't as important to the company. You don't hear the teams whining about your job, so don't whine about ours. You think $1500 is alot for a weeks (5 days @ 24 hrs is 120 hrs. $1500 divided by 120 appears to be $12.50 per hour) I don't think we are that over paid!!!!! I agree with not leaving your home terminal with empty trailers, we have even offered to leave our home terminal to go to the first area we can get loaded for free, I haven't heard you say you would work a whole day for free!! If you will look back at all my post (haven't been many) I have agreed that the Roberts has been fair the past 10 years I have been here, but if you want to hold it against me or any other team driver for worring about their job, then man you are one selfish person!

one huge problem with teams is the expense.....R&L has overpaid teams for years. Teams are only gone for a week at a time, they get weekends off and each member of the team makes over $1500.00 per week. Imagine if they only paid the team $2000.00 per week..still good money but more reasonable compensation.
They pay those wages to keep drivers in the seat. Lower the wages and the revolving door starts too spin....

Team drivers

Originally Posted by mailmantom

The question is...... Would you do what they do???? If so, you would already be doing it. I personally would not want to be away from my family for 5 days at a time, every week. R+L has always paid their teams the higher pay, and given them the dedicated routes so they can be the ELITE force of team drivers. Things have changed, and they obviously are looking at ways they can streamline this company, and pinch every penny. Sometimes that means making decisions that many people do not like, but it is what has to happen to keep you ahead of the competition.

To all of the team drivers: My heart goes out to each and every one of you. I have watched the teams slowly disapearing, and it is not a good thing. One thing to remember is you always have the option of calling 1001, 1002, or 1003 and they can give you the answers you are looking for.

The question is...... Would you do what they do???? If so, you would already be doing it. I personally would not want to be away from my family for 5 days at a time, every week. R+L has always paid their teams the higher pay, and given them the dedicated routes so they can be the ELITE force of team drivers. Things have changed, and they obviously are looking at ways they can streamline this company, and pinch every penny. Sometimes that means making decisions that many people do not like, but it is what has to happen to keep you ahead of the competition.

To all of the team drivers: My heart goes out to each and every one of you. I have watched the teams slowly disapearing, and it is not a good thing. One thing to remember is you always have the option of calling 1001, 1002, or 1003 and they can give you the answers you are looking for.
preferrably 1001

I never said to fire the teams but reassigning teams into the linehaul fleet would make better economic sense. Empty miles kills any kind of profit margin, I feel for teams that budgeted their lives on an inflated salary.....when a local linehaul job came available that paid similair or a local P&D job was available you should have applied for the transfer. Greed is good, but sometimes you got to know when to fold em, some times you can hold out but you might get caught up in the fall out.

$78,000 + is great money to hold a steering wheel and be gone 5 days a week
$60,000 + is great money to be home 5 days per week,

You ain't worth my time mr. mailman, most people on here is sympathetic with whats going on, and wishes everyone else the best. We all have families and consider most of us to be family. You don't know the circumstances of what goes on at other terminals, so you really should not judge. We don't really have much turn over in linehaul or city or the teams for that fact. Our newest team members have been running for 5 years, therefore no good runs have come available, if so I think myself or any of the other 12 team members that have been shut down would of already took them. If I was one to speculate by your post I would say it comes down to the fact that you are jealous of what we make, but are not willing to do what it takes to get it. I personnally chose that job so that my wife would not have to work and could stay home to take care of a grandson that is handicapped, his parents being young and just starting out can't afford not to work and be able to provide the health insurance needed for him. Fortunatly my job at R&L enabled me to help!!! Now I will do what ever it takes to continue this whether it is here or somewhere else and I didn't need you to spell it out for me. And I'm sure all the other teams that have ran hard and did their part to bring that freight for you do deliver really appreciates what you have to say.

And just for your info we aren't idiots. I understand the way it works, the Roberts are in business to make money, and will do what it takes to do it so they can provide for their family just as we are. I understand the way one way freight works, I know what it takes to run that truck. I know the economy is bad. But you will never convince me that O/O's will care about the time or condition of the freight like the company drivers do. I know the guys that ran with me took pride in getting the freight there to make service, and if we don't get it there on time then you can't! So again if you'll read my prior post on this and other threads I wish the Roberts well with whatever they do with the company I just needed answers not more questions or to be strung along with false hope of having my team put back together!!

i hear you i don't run teams but i do understand what you r saying teams job r not easy you r on the road all week sometime 6 day .p&d on the road 5 days but teams r move the frt 24 hour a day threw snow and ice , strong wind and never no where you r going next . p&d don't understand because they never did it and if they did do they wounld being saying the same thing you r saying right now.

Luvndriven
It is a shame that some here seem Jealous of what a Team driver makes when working a full week and that is a shame. I personally respect what you do i couldn't be out 5 days away from my family.
I also have been able to pick up on what you have been saying unlike some others. You understand that the Robert's need to do what they feel is in there best interest. The only thing you want to know is if TEAMS are a part of it or not so that you can make plans to move on or stay put.
I wish you the best of luck and hope they will continue to run TEAMS.

1st off not jealous of another mans success, just trying help someone out with an obvious answer......

And as bad as turnover is in a certain Ga terminal, one cannot hope for anyone to believe that there are no local jobs available.

Personal decisions are not always the best decisions for business

I commend you for taking care of your grandson but posting questions on this site will not get anything answered the way you hope.....If you want answers call the Big Guy on the 3rd floor. Being strung along sucks but not doing anything about it sucks worse. Be professional and have bullet points when you call. I guarantee you will get an answer, maybe not the one you want but at least you will know where you stand. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Tag and JCW appreciate the posts. As to you mr. mailman you are wrong I have made the call to the big man that being Sr. himself can even post his email on here if anyone needs it, that he gave me. (just in case I needed anything further) .I was told by him to call Mr. Copsey, and there was no answers given! The response was to hang in there if we can that they could not at this time tell us what was going to happen with any division, that they were making some changes and those changes could change if needed. So at this time there was nothing set in stone for anything. All they could tell me is that they are looking out for the best interest of the company. Now that has been a month or so ago. So what I was asking was if anyone that went to the empoyee confrence heard any mention of teams. Several of us have also talked to TW which does not seem to know much more than we do. TW is a great guy and I feel he is being honest with us when he says he don't really know whats going on!

You ain't worth my time mr. mailman, most people on here is sympathetic with whats going on, and wishes everyone else the best. We all have families and consider most of us to be family. You don't know the circumstances of what goes on at other terminals, so you really should not judge. We don't really have much turn over in linehaul or city or the teams for that fact. Our newest team members have been running for 5 years, therefore no good runs have come available, if so I think myself or any of the other 12 team members that have been shut down would of already took them. If I was one to speculate by your post I would say it comes down to the fact that you are jealous of what we make, but are not willing to do what it takes to get it. I personnally chose that job so that my wife would not have to work and could stay home to take care of a grandson that is handicapped, his parents being young and just starting out can't afford not to work and be able to provide the health insurance needed for him. Fortunatly my job at R&L enabled me to help!!! Now I will do what ever it takes to continue this whether it is here or somewhere else and I didn't need you to spell it out for me. And I'm sure all the other teams that have ran hard and did their part to bring that freight for you do deliver really appreciates what you have to say.

And just for your info we aren't idiots. I understand the way it works, the Roberts are in business to make money, and will do what it takes to do it so they can provide for their family just as we are. I understand the way one way freight works, I know what it takes to run that truck. I know the economy is bad. But you will never convince me that O/O's will care about the time or condition of the freight like the company drivers do. I know the guys that ran with me took pride in getting the freight there to make service, and if we don't get it there on time then you can't! So again if you'll read my prior post on this and other threads I wish the Roberts well with whatever they do with the company I just needed answers not more questions or to be strung along with false hope of having my team put back together!!

you should not have to explain your your reasons for doing what you do to anyone.teams are well paid for what they have to put up with ive been ther not with r/l but with other companys

luvndriven--

You should apply for the Decatur Al Terminal Manager's job. It's Monday- Friday, it pays about the same and since it's Alabama instead of sleeping in the cab of the tractor you can rent a cheap single wide trailer. On weekends you can go back to Ga and see your family.....CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site or R+L Carriers

Terminal Manager - View similar jobs
Job type: Full-Time Employee
...40 years of service, R+L CARRIERS has grown from one truck...owned and operated, R+L CARRIERS is...

View full job description Save to MyCareerBuilder Saved Job (View Saved Jobs) Email to a friend R & L Carriers AL - Decatur 3 Weeks Ago

Tag and JCW appreciate the posts. As to you mr. mailman you are wrong I have made the call to the big man that being Sr. himself can even post his email on here if anyone needs it, that he gave me. (just in case I needed anything further) .I was told by him to call Mr. Copsey, and there was no answers given! The response was to hang in there if we can that they could not at this time tell us what was going to happen with any division, that they were making some changes and those changes could change if needed. So at this time there was nothing set in stone for anything. All they could tell me is that they are looking out for the best interest of the company. Now that has been a month or so ago. So what I was asking was if anyone that went to the empoyee confrence heard any mention of teams. Several of us have also talked to TW which does not seem to know much more than we do. TW is a great guy and I feel he is being honest with us when he says he don't really know whats going on!

Having worked in the same office under TW, I can tell you that if he said he didn't know something, he is telling the truth. He gets information on teams on a "need to know" basis--and right now (with nothing set in stone) he doesn't need to know. If he were to give out info that is currently correct and then it changes, the teams would crucify him for lying. Next time you talk to TW, tell him "Big Cup" says hello. He'll know who you're talking about.