ODFL | Got an interview at OD for P&d

Drake L.

TB Lurker
Credits
I applied a few days ago to OD for P & D, they emailed me, I called them and they want me to come see them. I was wondering what is it like working there, what are the benefits like, what's the pay and just general things I might not know about the position and Company. Thank you.

1 year 4 months OTR with Averitt Express. 25 years old. Not lazy.

I applied a few days ago to OD for P & D, they emailed me, I called them and they want me to come see them. I was wondering what is it like working there, what are the benefits like, what's the pay and just general things I might not know about the position and Company. Thank you.

1 year 4 months OTR with Averitt Express. 25 years old. Not lazy.
I can't speak much for P&D. I left AVRT after 23 yrs 9 months for line haul at OD. Best decision I ever made. Leave the sinking ship while you can and don't look back.

I can't speak much for P&D. I left AVRT after 23 yrs 9 months for line haul at OD. Best decision I ever made. Leave the sinking ship while you can and don't look back.
You been with averitt that long I'll definitely take your word for it. I feel Averitt is good for beginners and training Imo but as for the long run I just don't see it. Did you take your retirement with you? And what made you want to leave?

You been with averitt that long I'll definitely take your word for it. I feel Averitt is good for beginners and training Imo but as for the long run I just don't see it. Did you take your retirement with you? And what made you want to leave?
You are able to take your contributions and your vested amount with you. I moved everything to Vanguard.
As for leaving, I list several reasons I will list below.

1) Averitt's loss of focus on the core business (LTL).

2) Too much focus on PODS, 3PL, hauling Drake around and other frivolous ventures that require multi levels of management ($$$).

3) Fake operations numbers. When privately held, they can pencil whip the OR. Which effects profit sharing given to the associates. Why do Averitt service centers pay rent to Averitt properties, which by the way made $16m in revenue with only 2 employees in 2015 (most recent year for numbers). Google it.

4) Averitt has become the JB Hunt of the 2000's. 100% plus turn over. How much is spent in rewards bonus and hiring that could be put forth in salary increases for retention?

I could name many more. Take my advice, move on and don't sweat it. I did... Lost 4 weeks of PTO, 8 holiday and 24 years of so call security.

Are the hours good? What's the average in a week?

Talk to the men, not these line ladies. Where are you applying at? Hours are good everywhere right now and you'll make 28.73 top out. This is a job where if you show them what you're made of you'll be hitting 45-50 hrs a week even during the slow time.

I'd honestly only work P&D to get my foot in the door. City guys work longer, harder and make significantly less then us linehaul guys. At my terminal, we haven't hired a new linehaul guy in years. City guys are fighting each other to be at the bottom of the extra board.

Talk to the men, not these line ladies. Where are you applying at? Hours are good everywhere right now and you'll make 28.73 top out. This is a job where if you show them what you're made of you'll be hitting 45-50 hrs a week even during the slow time.
I completely agree. It will benefit you to show them they can count on you. You will move freight here. A lot of tail off loads, liftgate and residential deliveries. You won't just be bumping docks all day. Depending on your area there could be A lot of tight spots to back into. All while being under pressure to get it done quickly and stay out until the job gets done. You said you did otr so just preparing you for p&d here.

Little Rock, Ar is we're I'm at. What will I start at? How long will it take to hit top. I seen a few tight spots myself and I was on the dollar General account for a week. Backing from the road wasn't too bad but I'd be lying if I sad I wasn't nervous

I'd honestly only work P&D to get my foot in the door. City guys work longer, harder and make significantly less then us linehaul guys. At my terminal, we haven't hired a new linehaul guy in years. City guys are fighting each other to be at the bottom of the extra board.
How long would it take to get a line haul position at a small OD terminal

Are planning to chicken out already? We need real men that plan to move our freight and
not just hold a wheel.
lol no im planning my future. What better way than to ask people that has been there and done it. I want to move up of course. I know it can take years. I'd just like to know what you guys got to say

Are planning to chicken out already? We need real men that plan to move our freight and
not just hold a wheel.
I unload pet co and pet smart myself and I rather enjoy it because I get out my truck and talk to people. I enjoy all aspects of being a truck driver except being gone

I unload pet co and pet smart myself and I rather enjoy it because I get out my truck and talk to people. I enjoy all aspects of being a truck driver except being gone
Pet Supermarket on Battleground is a good delivery. PJ on LG to ground and store Manager and crew wheel it in.

I completely agree. It will benefit you to show them they can count on you. You will move freight here. A lot of tail off loads, liftgate and residential deliveries. You won't just be bumping docks all day. Depending on your area there could be A lot of tight spots to back into. All while being under pressure to get it done quickly and stay out until the job gets done. You said you did otr so just preparing you for p&d here.
How do they deliver residential, with a Lift gate Pup 26' ??

How do they deliver residential, with a Lift gate Pup 26' ??
We do residential deliveries in everything from pups to 48s.
I agree, work on getting line haul. We definitely work harder for less.

In your area top wage is a bit lower billy lo is on the left cost were cost of living is outrageous. You should expect a top out of 26 and some change I believe. Linehaul is were the money is at! Little Rock probably a couple years to get a schedule run. Really just depends on what you want to do. But we can all agree OD is the best place to work!! Make sure you jump into that 401k asap especially as young as you are.