TForce | Great article about the demise of the teamsters in trucking

For what reason? curious.
Look what the teacher's union has done to public education in our country. People notice things that affect them and their family. What private sector unions do, nobody cares except those involved.

I always love that smug answer from conservatives whenever someone points out inequality.

"IFFUN YORE GITTIN SCROOED OVER SO BAD, WHY DONTCHA JOIN THE GROUP THAT'S *finger gently brushes sphincter* DOIN THE ****IN?"

I own plenty of stock. That doesn't change the fact that businesses don't want to pay people to make an easier path to becoming a financial "top."

God, the lack of any real thought is ****ing astounding. Get taken from BOTH ENDS your entire lives, and then close your eyes and lean in for a kiss. Wtf.

With all due respect it's all cheap freight now and when the industry was regulated the driver was much better compensated. There was no good old days. The rigs didn't have AC or power steering. There were no 53's or doubles. You sound more like a company man than a guy that wants his fellow driver to succeed. You also sound anti union. All of the trucking companies lobbied their congressional representatives for deregulation especially the southern ones that were non union and anti union. As far as the special commodity division, right after deregulation a lot of folks got into the high, heavy and wide business and drove the price down. Insurance rates went sky high primarily because of damage and in a short time that part of the industry went back to the way it was however there were added tariffs to every load which drove those costs up. That's how you bought your house and paid for your kids to go to college. It was called the middle class. . I am sorry to say, my anti union friend, that unless you are working for UPS presently (a union company), in the freight industry you (generally) are not in that once well established middle class. Free market? There is no such thing. You probably think that Reaganomics actually worked or Trump's tax cuts(?) were a good thing for this economy. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer and the middle class slipped away.
Why do you categorize someone as anti-union just because they bring up a different viewpoint? How about just debating/refuting their comments if you disagree with them. By attacking the poster you just diminish the impact of your own point of view.

Joined in 72, so you are my age. Were you in Vietnam with the rest of us. Why do you think that public sector and private sector unions are not "friendly"? In my opinion Reagan firing the controllers was wrong. I disagreed with a lot of his policies although I still have a special permit that was signed by him that allowed me and a co-driver to operate around the clock with special emergency privileges to deliver a trident submarine propeller to Bremerton Washington.
The air traffic controllers had a no strike contract that included binding arbitration. They walked off the job. They didn't need to be fired, they quit.

With all due respect it's all cheap freight now and when the industry was regulated the driver was much better compensated. You also sound anti union. All of the trucking companies lobbied their congressional representatives for deregulation especially the southern ones that were non union and anti union. That's how you bought your house and paid for your kids to go to college. It was called the middle class. . I am sorry to say, my anti union friend, that unless you are working for UPS presently (a union company), in the freight industry you (generally) are not in that once well established middle class. Free market? There is no such thing. You probably think that Reaganomics actually worked or Trump's tax cuts(?) were a good thing for this economy. The rich got richer and the poor got poorer and the middle class slipped away.
No, it's not all cheap freight. It's market based pricing. It's no longer government set rates with government control of routes and territories. No more government picking winners and losers. LTL drivers, regardless of company, are very well compensated. The days are over, and never should have existed, where drivers only had to get 30 days in to be guaranteed lifetime income and free healthcare. Government has no place in the consumer based economy. A billion taxpayer dollars a year goes to farm subsidies. Price supports where government sets minimum prices for dairy products. The free market should determine which companies succeed and which fail. The government should not be subsidizing electric cars or private sector pension funds.
If the middle class is slipping away, it is their fault. I am living proof that anyone who takes personal responsibility can be wealthy. If you depend on an employer or a government to support you, you are doomed to fail. Stop complaining about corporations and rich people for holding you down. That is an excuse for lack of planning and personal responsibility. 401K plans and mutual funds can make anyone with a little self discipline a millionaire.
All this about Yellow taking you money and pensions is nonsense. They took nothing. You were paid according to your contract. If you thought your labor was worth more than that, you should have found another job that paid you your true worth. Again, personal responsibility.

Last edited: