ODFL | Haz Mat Enforcer

kbigdog said:
I think the reason the company bought a program like this is the reason that is happening even on this board. People have different interpretations of the laws, and lets be honest, its downright confusing at times. Like I said before I double check myself with the orange book and go with what I think it tells me to do, but sometimes I cant understand it, so I ask dispatch, but who knows if they know either. The bottom line is if you get stopped its on you. Say someone rear ends you(its not your fault) and law enforcement want to check you out anyway you can get thousands of dollars worth of fines if your not placarded right.

We were having sooo many problems with haz-mat I was finding problems with almost every load. I kept a log for months of all the problems and would turn them in every month to my linehoul mgr. with manifest,trailer and pro numbers. Some of the problems went all the way back to P&D picking up haz-mat with bad paper work or even haz-mat we shouldn't be hauling.
There's a story about OD hauling haz-mat they weren't licensed for and everyone involved from the salesman to the drivers getting fired.
The one saving grace about haz-mat is that law enforcement many times knows less than we do about it.

Telling of the untruth

The HAZ / MAT labeling,placarding,and billing have been made so hard to understand over the years .Anyone that tells you he knows it all is a teller of the untrue.Now we have got the HAZ / MAT ENFORCER that is better but its only works if you pay attention and make the right entrys.A couple years ago when this first came out I asked someone about it.Their reply was I was suposed to now HAZ/MATS.My reply was ,O.K.,why do you use a calculator ??

Thanks beeman you think I read that stuff I pass the hazmat on the CDL and skate on the rest. Yeah i will be the first one to admit not knowing it all, think I know more than many about it though, Have had MO dot man check on dual placard load and he had to ask another guy.

It's just become a habit now but we open every folder and look at every bill. we open the haz-mat envelope and check the actual bill to be sure everything is right. You will be amazed if you start doing this how much you will find wrong or questionable. You will also start to learn and understand it more.

This is important for protecting your haz-mat endorsement and avoiding fines. Just think how important it is for OD to get all of this straightened out and keep it correct. Could you imagine the amount of business it could cost them if they show a high rate of haz-mat citations, or worse yet a loss of rights to carry haz-mat?

Have you ever been involved in a wreck and called 911? The first question the 911 operator asks you is if you are hauling haz-mat.

Sparky,
Don't forget the haz-mat test tells you to check for overheated tires every 100 miles and to remove the overheated tire if you find one. Just goes to show you how up to date everyone is on haz-mat.

I was pretty up to date on the old system mostly because I was a jack of all trades supervisor / driver. Or do I have that backwards. Anyway still made mistakes one of which was desegregating hazmat on a overseas international bound skid that could not be loaded in the same trailer. In that case their was a footnote in the regs that covered this one specific circumstance. This resulted in a one day delay and the D*** freight missed the boat. The customer than demanded a letter explaining to some Japanese customer that some undereducated person (me) screwed up their shipment. Never felt guilty about trying to do the right thing but still do not like my name going on a apology letter going to Japan.

Anyway I am pretty familiar with the regs and often find mistakes will continue to look but learned one thing that I can be wrong to

This all that's been going on around the OD nation?? How about some of that crap freight you guys been picking up and sending my way!

Easy

Easy BillyLo from Cowtown,I feel the love leaving your heart.You know O.D. would haul watermelons if the pro stickers would stay on.

And you know the dock workers would think nothing wrong with unloading the watermelons via forking each one seperately! I'm getting pretty tired showing up to customers with damaged freight due to neglect from the docks. Hopefully more action will begin to take place so this doesn't happen as often. Anyone know what terminal has the highest of OSD claims currently?

Do not

I believe the lowest is MGM or MAR.The highest,well I do not want to hurt anybodys feeling,their 3 letter code starts with a big A.That said,I don't want any grief from anybody.

Lukes Back

Skywalkers back in.Only driver I know that runs a schedule and stays gone a month.Has to show his I.D. when he gets home.