ABF | Health care and pension

BradBear

TB Lurker
Credits
I am a new teamster. Still lots of questions. If central states pension goes belly up like it is predicted to do, will this affect our health and welfare. Is the pension tied in with our heathcare. This is a very informative site and I know someone could answer this. Thank you

Pension and healthcare are separate.
Not really. In order to get health coverage through team care central states you MUST HAVE PAID INTO THE PENSION for twenty years and 7 of your last ten years or 5 of last seven.

Without the pension fund there will be no retiree health insurance in central states. They are two seperate funds but you need the years in the pension to get the health care.

Not really. In order to get health coverage through team care central states you MUST HAVE PAID INTO THE PENSION for twenty years and 7 of your last ten years or 5 of last seven.

Without the pension fund there will be no retiree health insurance in central states. They are two seperate funds but you need the years in the pension to get the health care.
Don’t through in the towel yet bud It ain’t over.Ranting and raving just gets your blood pressure high.Take a big deep breath and relax .

Don’t through in the towel yet bud It ain’t over.Ranting and raving just gets your blood pressure high.Take a big deep breath and relax .

Why don't you think before posting such a smart ass comment about something and someone you know nothing about there bud? Do you consider yourself some kind of internet guru or something?

The OP stated that he is a new teamster, I assumed he was more concerned with healthcare during his working life than retirement healthcare.

I am a new teamster. Still lots of questions. If central states pension goes belly up like it is predicted to do, will this affect our health and welfare. Is the pension tied in with our heathcare. This is a very informative site and I know someone could answer this. Thank you

Welcome, Brother! You are part of the 10% of the private sector that gets to retain their First Amendment rights even after you've punched the timeclock...........

Bro. Muler is correct for Central States .......Other Joint Council areas don't offer TeamCare beyond retirement,...so there is a clearer "firewall" between pension and H & W benefits.

In practice, for active employees in all Funds,........the Health and Welfare benefits are separate from each other........Do not forget that the Affordable Care Act requires employers to maintain Health Care benefits,......so it is in the employer's best interests to support those H & W funds......

If you are concerned about the stability of your Health care plan,........you have every right under ERISA law to request a "Form 5500" from your Health care plan provider. Usually, employees ask pension plans for "Form 5500",...but it is a little-known fact that you can make the same request to a health care provider.

A "Form 5500" is the long form of a Summary Annual Report that every pension plan ,AND health care plan,....must provide their employees. Essentially, it is the Plan's Income Tax filing,...which, as a Participant,....you have every right to request. They must list every expense, including salaries of office staff,...investments,....and real estate holdings. You may have to pay an actuary to....decipher...some of the legalese,........but, basically,.....you can get a very clear view of the Health Care Plan's long-term projected survival.

The Local Union can give you a contact number for the Attorneys all Local Unions have on retainer,.....and that Attorney can explain exactly how to file a "Form 5500".....It's actually easy,......I did it for years with the Joint Council #40 Pension Fund,.......The rank-and-file there had an ad hoc Pension Improvement Committee for years.

Once you get it,....make sure you share the information with your Brothers in your Local at a monthly meeting,.......for good or ill.....Information Is Power, Brother!

Many MEPFs are in poor financial standing,.......but in the same Supplemental/Joint Council area,.........the H & W is doing extremely well.

Sweet taste of victory for Peeps union workers as judges rule against candymaker

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit ruled that Just Born Quality Confections, the firm in Bethlehem, Pa., that makes the candy known as Peeps, could not unilaterally stop enrolling new employees in a pension without paying a penalty, something it had tried to do since 2015.

Why don't you think before posting such a smart ass comment about something and someone you know nothing about there bud? Do you consider yourself some kind of internet guru or something?
I make my living as a smart ass and wise guy What effects you will eventually effect me .I don’t worry about ::shit:: I can’t change.

I make my living as a smart ass and wise guy What effects you will eventually effect me .I don’t worry about :::shit::: I can’t change.

And just what in the hell does this reply have to do with the comment you made to Muler?

Now just what in the hell was he ranting and raving about in his post?

And while your at it bud... how about explaining what you mean by... "what effects you will eventually effect me"?

And just what in the hell does this reply have to do with the comment you made to Muler?

Now just what in the hell was he ranting and raving about in his post?

And while your at it bud... how about explaining what you mean by... "what effects you will eventually effect me"?
The pension issue! At this stage of the game we’re not doing this job for the money. Insurance and retirement period.The young are not concerned about insurance or pension they could care less.If your concerned about the contract and still working put your boots on the street and stand out side a break bulk and tell them why they should and have to reject the IBT offer.Old School ::shit:: works best.The internet and D Board only goes so far.

The pension issue! At this stage of the game we’re not doing this job for the money. Insurance and retirement period.The young are not concerned about insurance or pension they could care less.If your concerned about the contract and still working put your boots on the street and stand out side a break bulk and tell them why they should and have to reject the IBT offer.Old School :::shit::: works best.The internet and D Board only goes so far.

Interesting... which I agree... so let's use your own philosophy... why aren't you on the street and standing outside a break bulk and telling them why they should and must reject the IBT offer... seeing how you said everything that effects us will eventually effect you?

Now... let's insert your smart ass comment to Muler here... if Old School :::shit::: works best and the internet and D Board only goes so far... why are you now ranting and raving about it here? After all... you said it yourself... ranting and raving just gets your blood pressure high so why don't you take your own advice and take a big deep breath and relax?

And I hope that you don't take me wrong here because I'm not trying to be a smart ass about it... I just wanted to let you know why I thought your comment to Muler was out of line because I think we are on the same side here.

Interesting... which I agree... so let's use your own philosophy... why aren't you on the street and standing outside a break bulk and telling them why they should and must reject the IBT offer... seeing how you said everything that effects us will eventually effect you?

Now... let's insert your smart ass comment to Muler here... if Old School ::::shit:::: works best and the internet and D Board only goes so far... why are you now ranting and raving about it here? After all... you said it yourself... ranting and raving just gets your blood pressure high so why don't you take your own advice and take a big deep breath and relax?

And I hope that you don't take me wrong here because I'm not trying to be a smart ass about it... I just wanted to let you know why I thought your comment to Muler was out of line because I think we are on the same side here.
You guys are livid .I get it .start the letter writing campaign to the IBT and post there reply’s here You know the policy and procedure for corresponding to the IBT just like I do .Get it done. Iam ready to retire and what I get I get.The YRC deal is over in 11months .The ::shit:: will hit the fan .Ill be retired..My retiree association needs me LOL Keep up your efforts. Good luck brother .

You guys are livid .I get it .start the letter writing campaign to the IBT and post there reply’s here You know the policy and procedure for corresponding to the IBT just like I do .Get it done. Iam ready to retire and what I get I get.The YRC deal is over in 11months .The :::shit::: will hit the fan .Ill be retired..My retiree association needs me LOL Keep up your efforts. Good luck brother .

Good luck with that letter writing campaign to the IBT because I wouldn't even waste a stamp seeing that I had a hard time even getting them to return my call when I was active... usually had to leave around three messages and get a little rude (like in Ernie's case) before they did call back. But now that I'm retired... I don't even get that consideration so I know where that letter will end up.

And thanks for wishing us good luck because I have a feeling we will be needing it and it's greatly appreciated. I also wish you the best of luck come next year because I feel that you guys will be needing it too. And good luck and wishes with your upcoming retirement... may it be long... healthy and enjoyable!

The pension issue! At this stage of the game we’re not doing this job for the money. Insurance and retirement period.The young are not concerned about insurance or pension they could care less.If your concerned about the contract and still working put your boots on the street and stand out side a break bulk and tell them why they should and have to reject the IBT offer.Old School :::shit::: works best.The internet and D Board only goes so far.
What do you know about old school. 1994 was a joke. The union and the companies blew a chance to make big strides and didn't. As for striking you have never seen one first hand if you think the 1994 strike was like in the past. Did it cost Brothers money YES but in the past people died.

People died fighting for a better future and today we can pick up our phones and vote from a bass boat on the water.

No we have lost our identity and we will be wondering around lost until we get it back. I advocate being strong and moving forward. Some think I want abf to go broke. Nothing could be further from the truth. At abf we are battling a ceo that seems to hate us and wishes to inflict as much despair on us as she can. And I drew the line in the sand a long time ago but many others haven't. I come on here to speak my side and some of you don't like it. TOUGH it is my side and i will not be swayed by those that don't like my opinion.

What do you know about old school. 1994 was a joke. The union and the companies blew a chance to make big strides and didn't. As for striking you have never seen one first hand if you think the 1994 strike was like in the past. Did it cost Brothers money YES but in the past people died.

People died fighting for a better future and today we can pick up our phones and vote from a bass boat on the water.

No we have lost our identity and we will be wondering around lost until we get it back. I advocate being strong and moving forward. Some think I want abf to go broke. Nothing could be further from the truth. At abf we are battling a ceo that seems to hate us and wishes to inflict as much despair on us as she can. And I drew the line in the sand a long time ago but many others haven't. I come on here to speak my side and some of you don't like it. TOUGH it is my side and i will not be swayed by those that don't like my opinion.
Times are changing for us old dogs.Thers no strides without sacrifice .The younger guys won’t strike let alone take a day off for a man that’s laid off.They want there money in there pockets and not in others.I don’t see the IBT doing much more for the freight industry.There main goal keep us working longer.The government has the same plan.

Now... let's insert your smart ass comment to Muler here... if Old School ::::shit:::: works best and the internet and D Board only goes so far... why are you now ranting and raving about it here? After all... you said it yourself... ranting and raving just gets your blood pressure high so why don't you take your own advice and take a big deep breath and relax?

We have no break bulks up here There are less than 300 ABF employees in my area .The nearest is Carlisle .Iam not the one ranting and raving .And my blood pressure is fine.No worries here .My friends and fellow coworkers got lots to worry about and Iam concerned that there pension contributions will not be enough for future accruals.Iam not the one voting They are.Its there choice and future as well as yours.Theres only so much you can do.Good Luck!!!

We have no break bulks up here There are less than 300 ABF employees in my area .The nearest is Carlisle .Iam not the one ranting and raving .And my blood pressure is fine.No worries here .My friends and fellow coworkers got lots to worry about and Iam concerned that there pension contributions will not be enough for future accruals.Iam not the one voting They are.Its there choice and future as well as yours.Theres only so much you can do.Good Luck!!!

Who are you trying to BS... that's exactly what you are you're doing... ranting and raving... but yet you have the audacity to accuse Muler of doing it when he was only stating a fact. So out with it... just exactly what are you trying to get accomplished here?