ODFL | Here we go again

probably the same with the zero-turn jockeys
Mow 10 yards without chopping down shrubbery, you get a zero with your name on the fuel tank.
ufc 205 thank you GIF by UFC

I don’t have an Idea what the actual numbers are compared to last couple years, but we are all getting out and other terminal drivers are running through us again pretty regular in mwk.

Guys claim chi is light but what they seem to be missing is that the doors are all getting used now and there is the same number of trailers in the yard.

Green Bay is open now, and that had to have took a little pressure off of osh and wau.

When we are seeing loads heading to new locations, we need to remember that also takes a little pressure off the close terminals to it.

It is a presidential election year and the inflation rate is still up whether the govt admits it or not.

For what it is worth, I don’t think it’s worth worrying about just yet. November is coming and everyone from Marty down all know that.

What did you do before trucking Worked in an assembly plant as a parts person. Doing warehouse type work. A good job really, and i would have never left there. They left me. I didn't make a lot but the benefits were amazing. I was making $13 an hour when laid off, but at that time that was the most i had ever made per hour. I was climbing the ladder and was happy then they lied and crapped on 300 of us. When that happens it makes it hard to trust companies whole heartedly. The way i see it is we are just a number and i know i am replaceable at any given moment.

Never listen to a line driver,, they are the last people in the company management could care to talk with,, bunch of story tellers that think they own the trucks they drive
True! I have had some tell me bad information and made me look stupid in front of the dispatcher when i asked for more info on what id been told. Dispatcher didn't have a clue as to what i was talking about and nothing ever came of what the driver told me.

Everyone at my terminal is working. Even the extra board is running constantly. All the miles they want and even being pushed into running a 6th day some weeks. Our TM really embraces the hub driver model to keep the terminal flexible without hiring new drivers. I might have to eat my words at some point but it seems like after the over hiring 2 years ago we finally are pretty balanced when it comes to head count. As long as the locust (team drivers) don't show up too much we are holding our own.
sounds like your center is being ran well as far as staffing. unfortunately not the case in a lot of places. They hire and use drivers plus others and then discard like yesterday’s newspaper in a lot of cases. Can’t tell you how many times I heard people say “don’t go to Fedex they will lay you off”. Although more recently it seems starvation tactics are used more than layoffs…two cents take it for what it’s worth

sounds like your center is being ran well as far as staffing. unfortunately not the case in a lot of places. They hire and use drivers plus others and then discard like yesterday’s newspaper in a lot of cases. Can’t tell you how many times I heard people say “don’t go to Fedex they will lay you off”. Although more recently it seems starvation tactics are used more than layoffs…two cents take it for what it’s worth
My brother worked for O.D and said the exact same thing you did. He said if it was ever slow they started finding reasons to fire folks. Nit picking everything. He was with them over 10 years and a trainer and they canned him. These places don't care it comes down to one thing money. Ive heard dispatchers brag telling drivers you are replaceable. They could fire you this morning and by evening have another warm body in the seat.

My brother worked for O.D and said the exact same thing you did. He said if it was ever slow they started finding reasons to fire folks. Nit picking everything. He was with them over 10 years and a trainer and they canned him. These places don't care it comes down to one thing money. Ive heard dispatchers brag telling drivers you are replaceable. They could fire you this morning and by evening have another warm body in the seat.
Xpo use to tell us, “ we will make you available to the industry. “

Getting laid off is one thing, but economic termination is what really pisses me off. There’s no call for hiring someone, letting them build a little seniority and a hope for a long future, and then can them. Sure we can look at hiring you back but you start at the bottom again. That’s bs.

Getting laid off is one thing, but economic termination is what really pisses me off. There’s no call for hiring someone, letting them build a little seniority and a hope for a long future, and then can them. Sure we can look at hiring you back but you start at the bottom again. That’s bs.
That’s what happens when your an “at will employee”no protections!

It's called (At-Will Employer) :poke:

Kind of like Yellow no rights no voice and now no job. At the mercy of the company
However, when Yellow did layoff, the laid off employee maintained his/her seniority for five years before being removed from the seniority roster.
Therefore, when they returned from layoff, they did not lose their seniority or any of the other benefits they had already earned (vacation time, paid sick days, rate of pay, bidding by seniority date, etc……