TForce | Here's what the teamsters have done for me !

nightprowler

TB Lurker
Credits
Let's talk real numbers here , black and white , no " I heard we're gonna get this " or management promising ' better things to com " .

Back in '97 I was not present in Washington , sitting at the barganing table with UPS , but I have to say my TEAMSTER brothers got me a pretty good deal :

Right now I make $26.43 an hour , add $.70 for doubles , add $.75 for double 40's , add $80 for triples . GUARANTEED
Aug 1 '06 I get a $.90 raise . Aug 1 '07 I get a $1.00 raise . GUARANTEED

Vacations :
1 year service = 1 week , 2 years = 2 weeks plus an option week (time off or paid ) , 5 years = 3 plus 1 option week , 15years = 4 plus 1 option week , 20 years = 5 plus option week , 25 years = 6 plus option week . GUARANTEED

6 paid sick days plus a floating holiday ( use whenever or get paid overtime for all hours worked plus 8 hrs ! ) GUARANTEED

Senority GUARANTEED . No harassment over performance , or refusal to pull bad equipment GUARANTEED .

My wife wears glasses , two of my kids have braces , my out of pocket cost zero . I have not paid for 1 prescription in the last 18 years .

My average week is 40 hrs with 5-7 hrs overtime . I put 8% into my 401k every week and my wife does NOT have to work .

Do you honestly think UPS is going to match that for you guys out of the kindness of their hearts ?

You got a great gig. But I highly doubt we would get that. We would probably get the NMFA. Which would be an improvement.

nightprowler said:
Let's talk real numbers here , black and white , no " I heard we're gonna get this " or management promising ' better things to com " .

Back in '97 I was not present in Washington , sitting at the barganing table with UPS , but I have to say my TEAMSTER brothers got me a pretty good deal :

Right now I make $26.43 an hour , add $.70 for doubles , add $.75 for double 40's , add $80 for triples . GUARANTEED
Aug 1 '06 I get a $.90 raise . Aug 1 '07 I get a $1.00 raise . GUARANTEED

Vacations :
1 year service = 1 week , 2 years = 2 weeks plus an option week (time off or paid ) , 5 years = 3 plus 1 option week , 15years = 4 plus 1 option week , 20 years = 5 plus option week , 25 years = 6 plus option week . GUARANTEED

6 paid sick days plus a floating holiday ( use whenever or get paid overtime for all hours worked plus 8 hrs ! ) GUARANTEED

Senority GUARANTEED . No harassment over performance , or refusal to pull bad equipment GUARANTEED .

My wife wears glasses , two of my kids have braces , my out of pocket cost zero . I have not paid for 1 prescription in the last 18 years .

My average week is 40 hrs with 5-7 hrs overtime . I put 8% into my 401k every week and my wife does NOT have to work .

Do you honestly think UPS is going to match that for you guys out of the kindness of their hearts ?

So what's your point. I do my run in 8 hours. Sometimes a hair less. Take that and divide it by 8 I average a little over 30 dollars an hour. The rest sounds pretty close to ours to. So why do we need to go union?

Skeeter I think you are one of those guys who are just never going to get it. I could talk to you until I am blue in the face and show you all the facts but it would be a waste of time. However I respect your opinion, but I do not understand it.

Cityman said:
Skeeter I think you are one of those guys who are just never going to get it. I could talk to you until I am blue in the face and show you all the facts but it would be a waste of time. However I respect your opinion, but I do not understand it.
First, booooo Buffalo.
second I agree with you. Lets all sit at the terminal and wait 2 hrs for our load, but hey your not getting paid! Screw it , its part of the job. Don't worry, you make up for it down the road, hammer down big dog... OH wait the road is closed, another hour.... Oh well things happen. OK, hump the freight in the trailer, and WE promise you you'll be done and have a good night. !5 an hr later and a sh*tty night, get some rest, sorry about the bad day, see you tomorrow.:duh: :bgroovy: :smilie_132:

Cityman said:

Thank you I'm glad you respect my opinion I also respect yours. And I do understand it. However, I don't think the LTL master freight is the way to go.

We get tied to UPS then that would be different.

So what's your point. I do my run in 8 hours. Sometimes a hair less. Take that and divide it by 8 I average a little over 30 dollars an hour. The rest sounds pretty close to ours to. So why do we need to go union?
30 an hour?? Are you saying your only at work for approx. 8 and you recv. 30 an hour?
Man, I need a job at UPSF

krash said:
30 an hour?? Are you saying your only at work for approx. 8 and you recv. 30 an hour?
Man, I need a job at UPSF

Do you think I'm not telling you the truth or what?

Skeeter said:
It takes me 8 1/2 hours to do my run driving time. Add in the 3-4 hours per night free delay time and divide that by 8 and I make minimum wage.

Hmmmm....I run to Ocala, FL...If I bust my butt and do it in 6.5 hours that gives me $31.96 per hour....if I go by the rules, take breaks and be safe and do it in 8 hours, I only get $25.97 per hour.....we as Union freight haulers are paid like piece work.....it pays the same.........why risk safety for the freight?

Has any of the Overnite Old Timers forgotten 1995 when the company CUT wages and reduced the hours and benefits of the workers, which got them involved in starting a union movement?
Yeah, you may be getting a better deal now with UPS, but when it comes time to cut for the bottomline, whom do you think they will come to to do the cutting? The Non-Union part would be my guess because there is not a contract to violate!.........KK

Skeeter said:

Skeeter,

I used to have a fast turn run of 411 miles. Including one hour for drops and hooks the best time I could do was 8 hours. That also meant getting turned as soon as I arrived without any delays. And no delays in travel.

411 miles = $205.50
1 hour D & H =20.00

divide by 8 hours = $28.18 per hour

Mind you this was with a unit that was able to run 70mph. Maximum speed limit on this run was 65, so unless you drive in areas with higher maximum speeds and have a fast truck, I have trouble accepting that you make over $30 per hour. I also have trouble accepting the fact that you do it legally.

Skeeter said:

Skeeter,

I used to have a fast turn run of 411 miles. Including one hour for drops and hooks the best time I could do was 7 1/2 hours. That also meant getting turned as soon as I arrived without any delays. And no delays in travel.

411 miles = $205.50
1 hour D & H =20.00

divide by 7 1/2 hours = $30.06 per hour

Most of our road units averaged between 58 -63 mph. Mind you this was with a unit that was able to run 70mph. However, according to my company you needed to have 10 hours available because this is what the run required. I usually averaged 4 hours each way (with short breaks) because I didn't want them to figure out I had a fast truck which they would turn down if they did. Add in one more hour for finding my pups, drop and hook and my average was 9 hours.

divide by 9 hours = $25.05

Maximum speed limit on this run was 65, so unless you drive in areas with higher maximum speeds and have a fast truck, I have trouble accepting that you make over $30 per hour. I also have trouble accepting the fact that you do it legally.

BusterNite said:
It takes me 8 1/2 hours to do my run driving time. Add in the 3-4 hours per night free delay time and divide that by 8 and I make minimum wage.

Sounds like you have a pretty bad run are you at the bottom of seniority? Or are you a new hire? Sounds like a disgruntled MC driver.

Just hang on you will get better pay and mileage. You sound like you don't believe that is what I average. If so just say it and I will put some figures out there if you can't figure it out.

It's pretty easy if you do the math. This is one of the lower mileage runs also.

424 mileage= 424x53.13= 225.27
Drops & hooks for the night:

.1 for fuel.
.3 for hooking set.
.2 for swapping at meet point.
.4 for breaking set putting trailers up.

Total: 1.0= 21.00

Total for the night: 246.27

Do it in 8 hours:8 divided into 246.27

Total: 30.78

Just got another 118 added per night so do the same formula.

P.S. Made one mistake its 21.50 an hour not 21.00 don't feel like doing it over. But it wouldn't be much more. LOL!

That's running at 60 to 61 MPR just have to stay steady.

Animo916 said:
Skeeter,

I used to have a fast turn run of 411 miles. Including one hour for drops and hooks the best time I could do was 8 hours. That also meant getting turned as soon as I arrived without any delays. And no delays in travel.

411 miles = $205.50
1 hour D & H =20.00

divide by 8 hours = $28.18 per hour

Mind you this was with a unit that was able to run 70mph. Maximum speed limit on this run was 65, so unless you drive in areas with higher maximum speeds and have a fast truck, I have trouble accepting that you make over $30 per hour. I also have trouble accepting the fact that you do it legally.

You must not be at top pay...

Skeeter said:
Sounds like you have a pretty bad run are you at the bottom of seniority? Or are you a new hire? Sounds like a disgruntled MC driver.

Just hang on you will get better pay and mileage. You sound like you don't believe that is what I average. If so just say it and I will put some figures out there if you can't figure it out.

It's pretty easy if you do the math. This is one of the lower mileage runs also.

424 mileage= 424x53.13= 225.27
Drops & hooks for the night:

.1 for fuel.
.3 for hooking set.
.2 for swapping at meet point.
.4 for breaking set putting trailers up.

Total: 1.0= 21.00

Total for the night: 246.27

Do it in 8 hours:8 divided into 246.27

Total: 30.78

Just got another 118 added per night so do the same formula.

Hey Skeet,

Is that a consistant 8 hours or are you just not counting the waiting for your trailers to close (.8) or your truck to come back from another run (.7), waiting for the meet to show (1.5), for the tow truck when your tire goes flat (2.0), the wreck that has traffic stopped (1.5), the snow storm that has the pass closed (4.0), etc............

I have a similar run and I have maybe had 2 perfect days since the Edge conversion when they started to take this all away from me. I think I made over $30 an hour those 2 days, but it sure not my average! So if you think I'm just another disgruntled MC driver then you are right:pessimist:

My estimate is that on an average, I am away from my family and on the UPSF clock 11 to 12 hours per day and I am being paid my mileage (7 hours driving) and 1.1 hours in work, fuel, etc per day. That averages to over 3 hours per day I give to the company. No----let me re-phrase. The Company takes from me. Do you wonder why this doesn't make me happy?

Maybe you guys at O never had delay and are used to this, but we at MC have seen a BIG cut and I don't see UPSF "giving" it back to us unless we all group together and ask for the same thing.:sour:

Oh, and PS: I am top scale at MC - .517 mileage and $19.08 hourly and $13.01 delay (We are told we need to wait before they can get us up to the O scale.)

WIGGLEWAGON said:
Hey Skeet,

Is that a consistant 8 hours or are you just not counting the waiting for your trailers to close (.8) or your truck to come back from another run (.7), waiting for the meet to show (1.5), for the tow truck when your tire goes flat (2.0), the wreck that has traffic stopped (1.5), the snow storm that has the pass closed (4.0), etc............

I have a similar run and I have maybe had 2 perfect days since the Edge conversion when they started to take this all away from me. I think I made over $30 an hour those 2 days, but it sure not my average! So if you think I'm just another disgruntled MC driver then you are right:pessimist:

My estimate is that on an average, I am away from my family and on the UPSF clock 11 to 12 hours per day and I am being paid my mileage (7 hours driving) and 1.1 hours in work, fuel, etc per day. That averages to over 3 hours per day I give to the company. No----let me re-phrase. The Company takes from me. Do you wonder why this doesn't make me happy?

Maybe you guys at O never had delay and are used to this, but we at MC have seen a BIG cut and I don't see UPSF "giving" it back to us unless we all group together and ask for the same thing.:sour:

No that is consistent running of course. There are times it won't happen.

I still say to early give UPSF a chance to change the things you are talking about. We only been UPSF for two months. I think we as a company need to make some improvements to.

I do understand what you are saying and agree. I am just not ready or think it is time to jump on the teamsters band wagon.

Skeeter said:
No that is consistent running of course. There are times it won't happen.

I still say to early give UPSF a chance to change the things you are talking about. We only been UPSF for two months. I think we as a company need to make some improvements to.

I do understand what you are saying and agree. I am just not ready or think it is time to jump on the teamsters band wagon.

You are more optimistic than I am in regards to what this company will do. I think the more we wait, the more they will take away, and the bigger the bonuses for the big guys. If they had any intention of giving us more, they wouldn't have taken all of this away.

WIGGLEWAGON said:
You are more optimistic than I am in regards to what this company will do. I think the more we wait, the more they will take away, and the bigger the bonuses for the big guys. If they had any intention of giving us more, they wouldn't have taken all of this away.

I don't think it will hurt to wait at least till the first of the year.

Skeeter said:
I don't think it will hurt to wait at least till the first of the year.
LOL! First it was "Let's wait until May, UPS will do the right thing"........now it's "Let's wait until the first of the yea, UPS will do the right thing"..........what will the timeline be after that?