R&L | Hey Wilmington...I have a suggestion for you...

braceface

TB Regular
Credits
At least two or three times a week this happens...

I had a shipment of 5 skids of cigarettes that came out of Miami, going to East Tennessee...The freight bill said the whole shipment weighted 391 pounds...Obviously this was wrong...I had the girl in the office pull up the OBOL, and what had happened, was when the driver scanned the bill, it left off the last digit of the total weight...The correct weight was 3910 pounds....The revenue was $98.00 for the 391 pounds, I don't know yet what it will be when it is finally correctly billed...

The next printing of BOL's need to change so that the weight is not all the way on the right side where the digits in the weight can be left off when scanned...

My point is, I see frieght all the time, that the weight or class is way off..I see oversize skids, that are being billed for the size of a normal skid...

I point this out to my termiinal manager or a dock supervisor and we get pictures, re-weigh and get the billing corrected...I know for a fact that I personally have brought the company many extra thousands of dollars over the years that they would have not gotten had I not pointed out the errors..

I think Wilmington ought to put into effect an incentive plan for employee's to find these kinds of mistakes, so the company can get the proper revenue they deserve for this freight...

My suggestion is this...Say I find a shipment like the one stated above with the cigarettes...Say the bills says it weighs 391 pounds, and pays $100.00. The correct weight is 3910 pounds and the correct revenue is $600.00
The company is getting $500.00 more because I was dilligent, and found the mistake...I think it would be fair to give the employee 20% of this extra revenue, or $100...

Now this is just my suggestion, and I am going to point out these mistakes regardless if I ever get anything extra out of it...I believe it is my job to point these mistakes out when I see them.But think about it, look how many extra eyes would you have looking for these mistakes if the R&L employee's knew there might be something extra for them...

IMO, its a win win situation....I know this is a problem, and the company is losing a lot of revenue... Just my 2 cents worth...:1036316054:

lol....great suggestion. however at my term. it would not work. some of us have been pointing things out like that for a while now and we are told to just hit the streets, its not our problem. tm accuses us of being dumb/lazy and we are just trying to get out of work if they take del off us in the a.m. he has already said we are overpaid and don't deserve what we make. it is soooo much easier correcting a problem b4 leaving the yard than at the customers but all we get is dirty looks and accusations, so why bother.

lol....great suggestion. however at my term. it would not work. some of us have been pointing things out like that for a while now and we are told to just hit the streets, its not our problem. tm accuses us of being dumb/lazy and we are just trying to get out of work if they take del off us in the a.m. he has already said we are overpaid and don't deserve what we make. it is soooo much easier correcting a problem b4 leaving the yard than at the customers but all we get is dirty looks and accusations, so why bother.

Sounds like a TM isn't getting their bonus'... also means top rate guys are making more than him,,,like it's your fault he works cheap.:hysterical::hysterical:

I work in the scranton terminal and when i was doing p&d i pointed out many under weight mistakes. one regular for instance is the large jasper trannys for city buses, i think coming from jersey, that weigh around 1000 pounds and the bol says 250 pounds. i agree braceface, if wilmington would correct these mistakes, we would all be better off.

Sounds like a real A-hole.

I would imagine that EVERY trucking company has that problem, but you have to keep in mind the class of drivers that tend to inhabit certain terminals, especially the big city barns. Most of these guys will do only the bare minmium, and some don't even want to do that.

I keep a measuring tape handy for oversize stuff, so hopefully when someone gets hit with the extra charges they'll decide to give that junk to somebody else.

How about the percentage guy who only got paid for the $100 revenue? Could it be a billing problem being that is done overseas now?

I've had a similar situation a few years ago. We use to have a T/M that didn't like that I looked threw my trailer in the morning. He always would say that I am wasting time looking for a problem. Same attitude with the weights on the bills, never made time to fix a bill in the morning. So one day I had a delivery that consisted of 6 pallets of ceramic parts for an electric company. The bill read 851lbs. I could barely jack the first skid up with my pallet jack. I called my T/M right away on the phone, he said there is nothing we can do now but deliver it. I told him nevermind I'm taking this freight to another customer that I know has a scale. Make a long story short it all came out to a little over 8500lbs. I called Wilmigton and explained what I did, she fixed the bill and told me thank you. Someone must have called the stuffed shirt @ my barn because he waaaaaaaaass pissed @ what I did & got corp. involved.:funky:

Another Problem of having incorrect weights is Overweight Tickets , I run line haul and my terminal and couple others that feed us DO NOT have Scales. About a month again i hauled a set to a meet that the meet driver scaled out when he got back and it was 87,500. According to the manifest i only had 37,000 in the boxes which should have put my gross at 74 to 75,000

i had heard recently they were going to expand the w+i team to more terminals to fix the weight issues, as well as shippers classifying freight incorrectly. i am sure system wide we move freight that does not have accurate weights. i would suggest that if your tm has a deaf ear to a driver bringing something like this to their attention, call directly into the w+i department at corp.

I would suggest Wilmington put some kinda driver incentive program into place. Safety bonus is the cheapest I have ever seen. There needs to be some kind of incentive for the driver to get money.For example- one month no returns, perfect attendance,new accounts,most stops per hour, something to get morale up and put R&L back up to the most desirable LTL company to work for.

Well here is one for Wilmington,How do you figure that we are saving fuel when if we have enough frieght for one pup.You tell us we have to take a set and bring the empty back that we take.Tell me were we are saving fuel?With only taking one pup you reduce the drag on the trailers becouse you have one pup and not 2.So you save fuel who ever thought of this new ::shit:: here is one for you have you ever driven a truck before no so you don't know how the truck runs with a set or a single pup or even a van.You wont to save fuel I see that but you need to see how everyone is routed and you fix that you will save a ::shit:: load of fuel.....This is my oppion

I agree 2nd shift. Wilmington needs to open their eyes as to what's going on to save fuel. Last night a fellow co-worker and I went to Lebanon from Scranton. My co-worker took down a full pup and empty tail and brought back a full pup and empty tail. Communucation is extremely poor with this company!:duh:

I agree 2nd shift. Wilmington needs to open their eyes as to what's going on to save fuel. Last night a fellow co-worker and I went to Lebanon from Scranton. My co-worker took down a full pup and empty tail and brought back a full pup and empty tail. Communucation is extremely poor with this company!:duh:

If they would look at my getting super single on the trucks and mesh mud there alone would save not having us P/D drivers pass one another well you know that would save fuel,O wait I'm a truck driver what do I know about fuel economics. I like to read up on what is good for the environment don't get me wrong I am not a tree hugger.But it is what it is.:chairshot:

Whoever high up in the company thinks that attaching an mty pup to a loaded one to run down the road with is good business is a dope! The company can talk about getting drop & hook pay put the drivers don't...at least in Jersey anyway. They want to save fuel yet want you to drag another 12,500lbs behind you with an mty and the dolly. Along with paying for the extra axles and just everyday wear & tear. I don't see how this move is a smart one anyway you look at it in a saving money aspect? Although my lead-man just got his two year raise of .18 per hour. That's where their saving money. JOKE!!

Ir you're pulling an empty tail both ways then yes, it is stupid and a waste or money.

But if you pull an empty tail one way, and have both trailers loaded going back, than that's a necessary evil due to having to keep the trailer pool balanced.

I would suggest Wilmington put some kinda driver incentive program into place. Safety bonus is the cheapest I have ever seen. There needs to be some kind of incentive for the driver to get money.For example- one month no returns,

This is a laugh. How can we have no returns for a month when they keep sending out residential deliveries with no appointments? That's practically a guaranteed return. Then there's the bogus appointments that lazy dispatchers make. That B/S needs to stop. That's a big way for the company to save money, by only having to go to the place once, especially if it's 20 miles out of the way.

Otherwise I'd be all for that idea.

perfect attendance,

There's a good one...

new accounts,

This wouldn't be good, because those of us that do rural areas would end up getting the shaft.

most stops per hour,

Ditto... Those of use whose stops are 20 miles apart would get screwed here.

something to get morale up and put R&L back up to the most desirable LTL company to work for.

I'm definetly not one to blow the company horn, but whenever I start feeling like that I just remember Fed-Ex and Con-Way and how miserable they are.

Nope, I ain't in no hurry to jump ship unless it's to go back to hauling heavy equipment, and that just doesn't pay what this pays.