R&L | Hey Wilmington...I have a suggestion for you...

This is a laugh. How can we have no returns for a month when they keep sending out residential deliveries with no appointments? That's practically a guaranteed return. Then there's the bogus appointments that lazy dispatchers make. That B/S needs to stop. That's a big way for the company to save money, by only having to go to the place once, especially if it's 20 miles out of the way.

Otherwise I'd be all for that idea.

There's a good one...

This wouldn't be good, because those of us that do rural areas would end up getting the shaft.

Ditto... Those of use whose stops are 20 miles apart would get screwed here.

I'm definetly not one to blow the company horn, but whenever I start feeling like that I just remember Fed-Ex and Con-Way and how miserable they are.

Nope, I ain't in no hurry to jump ship unless it's to go back to hauling heavy equipment, and that just doesn't pay what this pays.

O hell sling look at what is going on with roadway thing do look good here from time to time.But if I can't vent here were should I vent?We all have some grips some more then others but that is the nature of the beast.

I am one to blow the company horn and I love working here. I just think the Roberts are losing touch with the people who do the real work and the customer relations in his company.

Well, I got the billing changed, and I got the Company an extra $500.00...I have done this over and over again....Someone at CORPORATE needs to wake up and see we are losing money daily with thse types of situations...I could have very easily just delivered the 5 pallets of cigarettes, and said nothing, and the company would have got a $100.00 in revenue. Did I get anything out of getting the company an extra $500.00 ????? A Thank You???? The company needs to have some type of "INCENTIVE" for employee's to find these types of mistakes...It would generate R&L "THOUSANDS" a day in revenue they lose, because a lot of drivers will just say the hell with it, if they don't even get a "THANKS"...

Well, I got the billing changed, and I got the Company an extra $500.00...I have done this over and over again....Someone at CORPORATE needs to wake up and see we are losing money daily with thse types of situations...I could have very easily just delivered the 5 pallets of cigarettes, and said nothing, and the company would have got a $100.00 in revenue. Did I get anything out of getting the company an extra $500.00 ????? A Thank You???? The company needs to have some type of "INCENTIVE" for employee's to find these types of mistakes...It would generate R&L "THOUSANDS" a day in revenue they lose, because a lot of drivers will just say the hell with it, if they don't even get a "THANKS"...

Actually it is your job to make sure shipments are correct that you pick up or deliver. Let your supervisor know if you think there is a decrepancy(sp). You get paid well for your job and a "Thank You" is sometimes better than being paid for what is your job in the first place.

Help your company stay in buisness and report these things so they in return are able to continue to pay you for your services.

Actually it is your job to make sure shipments are correct that you pick up or deliver. Let your supervisor know if you think there is a decrepancy(sp). You get paid well for your job and a "Thank You" is sometimes better than being paid for what is your job in the first place.

Help your company stay in buisness and report these things so they in return are able to continue to pay you for your services.

Top Flight: If you read what I have said in this thread, you would know that "I KNOW" it is my job!!! I have said I will continue to point out these mistakes regardless if I get anything "EXTRA" out of this or not...My point is, that a lot of drivers won't and don't!!!! Yes, I know I get paid well, but if the company would be proactive, knowing this happens many times daily, the company could be more successful, witout cutting hours or hiring "Lease Drivers" Again, if your read my posts, you will see I have been pointing out these mistakes for years....I see a lot of drivers who just don't care, and maybe they would help the company get fix these mistakes if their was an incentive for them...Maybe they would even point out these mistakes to the company, if there was a meeting asking the drivers to point out these discrepencies....

Your dock workers should be required to do so many reweights per night to catch and correct these mistakes. just my opinion

Ir you're pulling an empty tail both ways then yes, it is stupid and a waste or money.

But if you pull an empty tail one way, and have both trailers loaded going back, than that's a necessary evil due to having to keep the trailer pool balanced.

Sling make a very good point. If equipment is not matched there will be a horrible inbalance. However, this should be reviewed before you are dispatched.

Braceface, This was not directed totally towards you sir, actually ALL employees that touch freight needs to be aware and use some common sence if a pallet weighs 100 pounds or 500 pounds.

In tough times we are in the shipper may try to "cheat" on weight to spend less and the employee's need to make sure their company is getting paid what they are due. THAT is how a company will be able to survive this economy and still be there when is changes for the better.

No pun intended towards anyone directly.

The big thing that we may be forgetting is it needs to start in all terms and on all the docks.Just because it is are job to see this stuff and help get it fixed. The forklifts have scales on them it takes 2 seconds to look at the manifest to look at the weights to see if they jive.This will help us become a bigger and better company.We can bill the right way.But this is what I think maybe I'm wrong.

Braceface, This was not directed totally towards you sir, actually ALL employees that touch freight needs to be aware and use some common sence if a pallet weighs 100 pounds or 500 pounds.

In tough times we are in the shipper may try to "cheat" on weight to spend less and the employee's need to make sure their company is getting paid what they are due. THAT is how a company will be able to survive this economy and still be there when is changes for the better.

No pun intended towards anyone directly.

And its not always shipper trying to cheat......It the case with cigarettes, it was the scanner in our truck cutting the last digit in the weight off...I think there needs be to be a way to re-scan when we know something like this has happened...

All of my regular customers are usually dead on with weights because most have scales and put pallets on them before weight is written on the bill. If I pick up from an irregular customer and I have suspicions about the weight I write on the BOL "Reweigh At Terminal" So my butt is covered. Won't be long before we start getting written up for incorrect weights,

ODFL and some of your other competitors have very aggressive re weight programs .Every dock worker gets incentives such as meals, gift certificates,t shirts etc. our terminal gets anywhere from 20 to 40 thousand$ a month from this program ,as far as I know wev'e never lost any customers from this program.

About the mty trailers, I understand that if you have a full dispatch say in Balitmore and I only have a single load in Philly then yes of course snap a set together and head on down the road. What we have more often then not is say a pup of overflow frt that you are moving to Bal, Leb, etc and the other terminal might have the same for us. Makes sense to run one for one. The only reason I can see them wanting drivers to hook up an mty and I haven't heard about this at our barn is a driver getting dispatched in mid-run to go to another terminal and pick up overflow frt or whatever. That way if they do they can drop the mty and pick up a load with messing up the trl pool.
Again, in this part of the north-east that doesn't happen. From what I see we are the busiest non-break terminal and the others in the north-east usually run out with one & an mty on their last runs of the night or the day slips.

All of my regular customers are usually dead on with weights because most have scales and put pallets on them before weight is written on the bill. If I pick up from an irregular customer and I have suspicions about the weight I write on the BOL "Reweigh At Terminal" So my butt is covered. Won't be long before we start getting written up for incorrect weights,

The errors I have found lately have been billing errors on our part, or the scanner cutting the last number of the weight off... Every now and then, I find a shipper trying to cheat us...

lol....great suggestion. however at my term. it would not work. some of us have been pointing things out like that for a while now and we are told to just hit the streets, its not our problem. tm accuses us of being dumb/lazy and we are just trying to get out of work if they take del off us in the a.m. he has already said we are overpaid and don't deserve what we make. it is soooo much easier correcting a problem b4 leaving the yard than at the customers but all we get is dirty looks and accusations, so why bother.

Sounds like your TM is an ***, I would not go out of my way to do anything for him. Screw him!!