XPO | High Tech Drivecam

Do you honestly believe that's not what they want? We are overstaffed according to upper management. How many drivers have you seen leave your terminal in the past year? How many have been replaced? Exactly. Yes there is an industry-wide driver shortage, but our freight volume has dropped so much in the past 18 months that there is no need. Of course our industry is a volatile one, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Four more drivers gone this week. Likely they will just shuffle the bids at the bottom a bit and continue. We ain't hiring, probably because that don't help EBITDA. Other carriers are hiring. UPS is looking for feeders. FedEx is growing it's LTL business. Amazon has pressure on the LTL industry. And a year ago we all thought that Jacobs had some inside track on that business. That we would be swimming in freight. Well, where is it ? Not here. And there isn't a drive cam in the world that can sell freight so they probably aren't going to help fill the lanes which would leave these fancy gizmos sitting in the windows of trucks that ain't running. Ironic or moronic ? Tough call.

Four more drivers gone this week. Likely they will just shuffle the bids at the bottom a bit and continue. We ain't hiring, probably because that don't help EBITDA. Other carriers are hiring. UPS is looking for feeders. FedEx is growing it's LTL business. Amazon has pressure on the LTL industry. And a year ago we all thought that Jacobs had some inside track on that business. That we would be swimming in freight. Well, where is it ? Not here. And there isn't a drive cam in the world that can sell freight so they probably aren't going to help fill the lanes which would leave these fancy gizmos sitting in the windows of trucks that ain't running. Ironic or moronic ? Tough call.
We are swamped in the upper Midwest. Saturday and Sunday runs. It's regional.

Everyone is running at my barn, but I'd say 3-4 vias/night to cover others freight, our inbound and outbound aren't that busy.

In what possible scenario would the driver be at fault and the company not liable?

Personally, I'm not bothered by the current drive cams. I get called in about twice a year for video reviews. Not that big of a deal and I think that indicates I'm a pretty safe driver. If they were to start monitoring us while on break, I would have a problem with it. That being said, I don't think they will.

Are not those 30 minutes your time? Not company time. They take it from you. Cover that stupid thing. If it becomes a problem, park habitually in a non-descript area and get the away from the dumb drive cam. Do they really want 30 minutes of a wall at Kohl's and an empty cab?