Hiring freeze

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by icuicp, Mar 27, 2016.

1. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Do more with less makes the bottom line look better.

highspeeds and troubleman84 like this.
  2. sucker666

Sad shape

3. Stand4afuture

Stand4afuture Well-Known Member

It's called EBITDA. Maximum production with less producers..

4. sportsman800

sportsman800 Active Member

There's no hiring freeze it's just they can't hire anyone know one wants to work here -30 temperatures in the winter and 110 in summer on a dock ya what a great job people are not gonna be beating down the door when there's plenty of heated and air-conditioned docks and warehouses around

5. sportsman800

sportsman800 Active Member

Same at our barn everyone is fed up

highspeeds and upnorth like this.
  6. micshol

micshol Member

Our barn has about 20 interviews this week. We're fixing to hire 5 to 8 dockworkers and 3 to 5 drivers.

highspeeds and icuicp like this.
  7. NMA

NMA Member

Just hired one driver here ...only because we had another one transfer out to NAT.
    We have a decent manager here now ... so not much to say in that department. I run linehaul and we have a bunch of grumpy senior drivers, but other than that, no complaints presently.

8. crossbow

crossbow New Member

Read the financial publications ebitda is a bogus scam alot of smoke and mirror accouting ,

Songremainsthesame likes this.
  9. smokin'joe

smokin'joe Well-Known Member

We are not only short on drivers, we have a major problem not having enough equipment...Trucks, trailers, and forklifts.

highspeeds likes this.
  10. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

I honestly don't think the MIT program is very successful. Of the FOS' I have met that came through it, very few of them are worth a crap. The best supervisors I've had are ex drivers. When I started almost all the FOS' were ex drivers. They were not great with public relations but they understood the ins and outs of the job.

icuicp likes this.
  11. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

You may be right but there does not seem to be a plan to feel the space left by the absence of the field management trainee program.

Also , with what is known about the way FOS's are put in F'ed up situations all the time for salary ( that's a pay cut for most drivers ) How do you convince good driver's to become good management? You don't. You get the scrubs , rejects , and do-nothings moving into management.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  12. sucker666

You think people would be knocking down the doors to be part of this... you know with the rising stock price. Wealth for all It's only a matter of time and it will rain down upon us all not just the executives.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    NMA likes this.
  13. dalesr

dalesr Well-Known Member

I think you are missing the "LOL" at the end of that post.

14. highspeeds

highspeeds ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY

Two years non compete for an entry level position paying peanuts ? Gee, I wonder. ( sarcasm )

icuicp likes this.
  15. highspeeds

Supposedly a bunch of barns near me have been authorized to hire drivers and dockhands. We are all very short on both in this region. They really need to hire an army of dockhands. As they are groomed to be both drivers and management. Just can't find enough of these people.

16. highspeeds

They opened an Amazon distribution near here. It's killing us. $16 an hour to start. 100% benefits first day. Closed heated dock.

17. highspeeds

If things don't start to look up there will be an unprecedented mass exodus when hiring season opens this spring. Already short drivers and dockhands about everywhere. Wages ain't keeping up. Working conditions are not up to par.

I understand you need to tear something down to rebuild it. But there is a difference between a tear down and a demolition.

We knew the purchase might be a good thing or a bad thing. People are starting to make up their minds as to which it is.

trucknfool, dalesr and icuicp like this.
  18. highspeeds

Often used by foreign investors that are not subject to Western accounting restrictions.

19. highspeeds

The equipment issue. Also read, the safety issue. Is becoming a very real concern. Even if we were to get busier.... how would we cover it with not enough drivers or equipment ?

And with everyone running vias into and out of the FAC there is never enough help on the dock. We are closing down stupid late and not getting back in time for the city operation. Why aren't there cut times ? What's the point in waiting on freight just so that an entire trailer shows up to late for the city operation instead of a few shipments getting fenced at the FAC ?

And even worse is that at this point people just don't care. Things are being run so poorly that drivers have no incentive to try and fix or aide anything. Forced to do a 300 mile via at 0630, drop one pick one ? Suuuure. And take an hour nap. Why not ? Ain't none of my freight making service now.

Songremainsthesame, dalesr and icuicp like this.
  20. highspeeds

You don't believe in trickle down economics ? Come on, driver ! These billionaires care about you and your family. Honest. No lie. Absolute truth. Well, actually about as much as you care about a homeless guy living in the park. And really. If you think about it. Not at all. Not even a little bit.

trucknfool and icuicp like this.