Yellow | Hoffa Elected To Fourth Term By Overwhelming Margin!

Hey Apo,

You are right, the Teamsters labor union started with horse and wagons in the early 1900's, literally the "hay" days. It was Teamster President Tobin that first started the push to organize outside of transportation. We have come a long way since then.

You are also correct to say that if every trucker in the freight industry voted against Hoffa, it wouldn't amount to a large percent. The number is around 3 1/2 percent. We also must stick to the facts when discussing why the numbers are what they are.

The number one reason was deregulation, which actually got it's beginning in 1962. President Kennedy asked Congress to reduce the number of regulations to surface freight transportation. The Motor Carrier Act of 1980 was the end result of years of trying to deregulate the trucking industry.

Until that point, there were literally hundreds of union carriers employing tens of thousands of Teamsters. What shippers gained in lower shipping costs, a current estimate of 25 to 40 percent, the unionized freight workers lost in pay and jobs.

To make a short story long, trying to blame the current Teamster leadership for the shrinking the unionized freight industry is absurd. You know first hand of the decades long struggle it was to finally organize Overnite, now UPS Freight.

The only way to grow the numbers in freight is to organize the unorganized. We all know who these companies are, we see and talk to them every day.

To be brutally honest, the only message that I read anymore here on the boards is about how terrible it is to be a union driver. If I worked for FedEx, Con-Way, Old Dominion, Estes, etc....why would I want to be union, it must be the worst thing in the world.

Just my two cents,
DS.

I have one last thought then I am done with all of my whining.

Here it is,Truckers were the force that originally started the union,way back in the unions hay day.
However trucking has become a very small percentage represented by the Teamsters now days.
With so many other types of industries represented,if every trucker did cast a vote,it would not have amounted to a large percent.
So there you go,and I am gone!

Unfortunately you are 100% right. The freight has been flushed down the toilet.
The onion sees the public employees as a better deal because of the perceived bottomless pockets of the taxpayer to be *****, in turn the almost bottomless pockets of the members to be *****, which leads to the main objective to line the onion officials pockets!
With 10 Million trucks on the road they can never tell me that if these scoundrels hadn't of put some effort into it in the 70s and 80s that these drivers wouldn't have loved the chance to join. Imho, the trash leaders of the time made a deal with the government to let the freight division just die on the vine. Way, way too much power for one segment to have.

Hey Apo,

You are right, the Teamsters labor union started with horse and wagons in the early 1900's, literally the "hay" days. It was Teamster President Tobin that first started the push to organize outside of transportation. We have come a long way since then.

You are also correct to say that if every trucker in the freight industry voted against Hoffa, it wouldn't amount to a large percent. The number is around 3 1/2 percent. We also must stick to the facts when discussing why the numbers are what they are.

The number one reason was deregulation, which actually got it's beginning in 1962. President Kennedy asked Congress to reduce the number of regulations to surface freight transportation. The Motor Carrier Act of 1980 was the end result of years of trying to deregulate the trucking industry.

Until that point, there were literally hundreds of union carriers employing tens of thousands of Teamsters. What shippers gained in lower shipping costs, a current estimate of 25 to 40 percent, the unionized freight workers lost in pay and jobs.

To make a short story long, trying to blame the current Teamster leadership for the shrinking the unionized freight industry is absurd. You know first hand of the decades long struggle it was to finally organize Overnite, now UPS Freight.

The only way to grow the numbers in freight is to organize the unorganized. We all know who these companies are, we see and talk to them every day.

To be brutally honest, the only message that I read anymore here on the boards is about how terrible it is to be a union driver. If I worked for FedEx, Con-Way, Old Dominion, Estes, etc....why would I want to be union, it must be the worst thing in the world.

Just my two cents,
DS.

Spot on DS...spot on.....just some out there still don't get it....not many of us left that worked pre 1980.....deregulation screwed freight....not the Union....that is another reason they have made organizing in other crafts ....to keep growing.....KK

Spot on DS...spot on.....just some out there still don't get it....not many of us left that worked pre 1980.....deregulation screwed freight....not the Union....that is another reason they have made organizing in other crafts ....to keep growing.....KK
And in the early 1900's, they were paid the same wage as today.