Yellow | Hoffa Letter To Yellow-Roadway Members

Can someone do me a favor and PM me with this I have been having difficulty's opening PDF Files

INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS
25 Louisiana Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001
International Brotherhood of TeamstersHome
JAMES P. HOFFA
General President
C. THOMAS KEEGEL
General Secretary-Treasurer
September 8, 2008
Dear YRC Teamster:
YRC announced earlier today that it intends to combine the Yellow and Roadway operations
into one unit over the next 18 months. We are concerned about this development and its
potential impact on you and your family.
The Teamsters Union will closely review the potential impact of today’s announcement on
the jobs and conditions of Teamsters at Yellow and Roadway. YRC laid-off 300 nonunion
employees and made significant changes and cuts to the remaining nonunion employee’s benefits.
Those cuts do not extend to Teamsters at YRC.
We will utilize the processes outlined in the National Master Freight Agreement to ensure
that you are treated fairly throughout what will inevitably be a very difficult process.
The government’s adoption of deregulation in the trucking industry has had a long-term
negative impact on unionized carriers, with market share shifting to nonunion carriers. In
addition, a slow economy has put severe financial pressure on the national carriers who already
have very thin margins. All of this is made worse by very high fuel costs. Nonunion carriers
haul approximately 35 million tons of LTL freight annually whereas union companies haul
approximately 25 million tons. Today, union companies represent approximately 40% of the
market share with the rest made up of nonunion carriers. The nature of the business has been
changing as well. Over the last decade, there has been a move to lighter, more frequent, and
shorter hauls that favor carrier groups with a regional focus. Also, discounts offered by bundle
servers with air delivery connections have impacted negatively national carriers who cannot
compete with that service.
The economy in the past two years has not been supportive of growth in the freight industry.
2007 was the third year of flat or negative demand for freight transportation services of all
modes. Record fuel costs continue to negatively impact margins. The housing and auto slump
have reduced the demand for freight shipments as has the manufacturing turndown and rising
unemployment. These are trends that are not likely to see substantial improvement in the
remainder of the year.
While we recognize that the Bush administration’s economic policies have had a dramatic
effect on freight and the entire transportation sector with high fuel prices and reduced economic
activity, the Teamsters Union will fight to preserve your jobs and benefits in this restructuring
through vigorous enforcement of the freight contract negotiated and ratified earlier this year.
In the meantime, go to International Brotherhood of TeamstersHome for regular updates. It is important that we all stand
together in the coming days and months.
Fraternally,
James P. Hoffa Tyson Johnson
General President National Freight Director
Page 2

If the union can't protect it's 'brothers' from the layoffs, how does it expect to protect them from total job loss when the terminals begin to merge? I don't see any protection where I'm at now, w/ all the senior guys working 60 hrs and I'm home waiting for a phone call to work 1 or 2 days if I'm lucky ... oh, with NO healthcare either.

your not alone

We have all went through that. Me personally 6yrs of layoffs, on again, off again. I kept coming back, I've been in the trenches and paid my dues. Good Luck to ALL.

If the union can't protect it's 'brothers' from the layoffs, how does it expect to protect them from total job loss when the terminals begin to merge? I don't see any protection where I'm at now, w/ all the senior guys working 60 hrs and I'm home waiting for a phone call to work 1 or 2 days if I'm lucky ... oh, with NO healthcare either.

Hang in there and be a soldier. Your selfish.... :biglaugh:

I wonder how your attitude will change if and when you ever get seniority. I have a sneaking suspicion.

I can tell you it will not be to steal food from the mouths of those below me to fill my pockets fuller, at top rate. Selfish ... would be to do THAT. I don't begrudge anyone work ... I just think 'brotherhood' ought to include looking out for, showing a little concern for the ones below you.

I can tell you it will not be to steal food from the mouths of those below me to fill my pockets fuller, at top rate. Selfish ... would be to do THAT. I don't begrudge anyone work ... I just think 'brotherhood' ought to include looking out for, showing a little concern for the ones below you.

I know this was for Larry, but I want to say that I agree completely with you. I was only playing around in my previous post to you. Furthermore, I believe its complete nonsense that some people cannot even carry health insurance for their families while others are working 80hrs a week. Once again, I feel your burn...
solidarity.jpg

I never did this myself, and I know you aren't suggesting that. I've watched this sort of behavior for all my thirty-plus years in the union. It will never change because of the system, so you might as well accept it and move on. Seniority has its privileges, unfortunately compassion and brotherhood aren't two of them.

I never did this myself, and I know you aren't suggesting that. I've watched this sort of behavior for all my thirty-plus years in the union. It will never change because of the system, so you might as well accept it and move on. Seniority has its privileges, unfortunately compassion and brotherhood aren't two of them.

which is worse the brother that works OT or the brother that clocks in then goes and hides and sleeps while the rest are left to do the work or the guy that stands around and does nothing?

This is my fourth union company in my 22yrs as a teamster. I've been with Yellow for the last 4 1/2 years. I've never worked with such a bunch of :butt kiss::butt kiss: me-sters in my whole life.

it's called greed
your union senior brothers are also hurting themselves and are blinded by the green they think they are earning
first of all there is a certain point in earnings where you actually take home less due to higher taxes/bracket
work past 10 -12 hrs ot and compare your take home checks
sure it'll be more but do the division and you'll see how more is less
being a "hungerlighter" hurts everyone
in addition what this translates to is:
less family time
less time for socializing making one miserable due to long work hours
hurts all H&W funds due to the companies not needing more workers which reduces employer contributions that are necc for the continuation of those funds
impacts health in a negative fashion
increases stress
need i say more.................

wake up boys and girls cause the storm is coming:hide:
the companies are helping to accelerate this phenomena by practicing and implementing this strategy
"DO MORE WITH LESS"

i am retired now and will not experience a problem with getting my pension for my lifetime
but the writing is on the wall especially for those still working and those who got a ways to go:shock:
the time is now
SO WAKE UP AND DON'T LET A COUPLE OF $$$$ NOW :chairshot:RUIN YOUR FUTURE
:eck13:LET'S NOT GET CAUGHT WITH OUR PANTS DOWN

"i am retired now and will not experience a problem with getting my pension for my lifetime
but the writing is on the wall especially for those still working and those who got a ways to go
the time is now "

Don't get to comfortable with that lifetime pension big steve... If YRC fails and the government takes control of the lifeblood you live on, guess what your going to be looking for work!

which is worse the brother that works OT or the brother that clocks in then goes and hides and sleeps while the rest are left to do the work or the guy that stands around and does nothing?

I agree with you 100% dokman. And this is a cause and effect matter. Because of the deadbeats, the company is forced to offer OT. And usually the ones who are complaining about others getting all this OT are the ones who won't work. And the innocent victims are always the new guys on the very bottom of the seniority list. The seniority system is good because it is supposed to eliminate favoritism, yeah right, but it is bad when people get penalized for something that isn't their fault.

it's called greed
your union senior brothers are also hurting themselves and are blinded by the green they think they are earning
first of all there is a certain point in earnings where you actually take home less due to higher taxes/bracket
work past 10 -12 hrs ot and compare your take home checks
sure it'll be more but do the division and you'll see how more is less
being a "hungerlighter" hurts everyone
in addition what this translates to is:
less family time
less time for socializing making one miserable due to long work hours
hurts all H&W funds due to the companies not needing more workers which reduces employer contributions that are necc for the continuation of those funds
impacts health in a negative fashion
increases stress
need i say more.................

wake up boys and girls cause the storm is coming:hide:
the companies are helping to accelerate this phenomena by practicing and implementing this strategy
"DO MORE WITH LESS"

i am retired now and will not experience a problem with getting my pension for my lifetime
but the writing is on the wall especially for those still working and those who got a ways to go:shock:
the time is now
SO WAKE UP AND DON'T LET A COUPLE OF $$$$ NOW :chairshot:RUIN YOUR FUTURE
:eck13:LET'S NOT GET CAUGHT WITH OUR PANTS DOWN

I dont really see what this has to do with Hoffa's letter to the union on the merge but I cannot sit here without responding.
You sir ,have fallen out of touch with reality.
Our daily mileage and hours have been extended by the company and the government (not a choice issue)
overtime is mandatory most of the time (not a choice)
We cannot refuse to work a full week without loosing our job (again not a choice issue)
The seniority we carry is the only thing we have to protect us in this industry and it is fittingly so.
If the "COMPANY" gives me a 60 or 70 hour week it's usually because they dont want to pay health and welfare on two people and its going to happen and there is nothing we can do about it. Has little to do with seniority or being greedy most of the time and I resent the implication.
The difference in take home will not be that much more "now",but a great percentage of the differance will be returned at the end of the year provided we dont go well into triple didget figures.
I believe your analogy of health and welfare issues is indeed correct but you are misdirecting the blame!
Greed....would only apply to people working in their seventies! They are ****** the system. I am 52 and have 29 years here. I am vested at max but cannot retire without severe punishment and cannot collect social security till mid sixties. What do you suggest I do?
Now....last but not least. You are on a defined bennefit retirement no doubt. What do you think will happen to it if the union companies fold and there is no longer anybody paying into it? I will apologize to you for my outburst but I am not greedy! Just trying to get where you are and it really is getting harder! Nothing I would love more than a forty or fifty hour week but the companies wont allow it now UNLESS.....you are one of the new part time casual type workers without bennefits and there lies the big problem of the future.
Have a great day and enjoy your retirement....Im sure you earned it.

I dont really see what this has to do with Hoffa's letter to the union on the merge but I cannot sit here without responding.
You sir ,have fallen out of touch with reality.
Our daily mileage and hours have been extended by the company and the government (not a choice issue)
overtime is mandatory most of the time (not a choice)
We cannot refuse to work a full week without loosing our job (again not a choice issue)
The seniority we carry is the only thing we have to protect us in this industry and it is fittingly so.
If the "COMPANY" gives me a 60 or 70 hour week it's usually because they dont want to pay health and welfare on two people and its going to happen and there is nothing we can do about it. Has little to do with seniority or being greedy most of the time and I resent the implication.
The difference in take home will not be that much more "now",but a great percentage of the differance will be returned at the end of the year provided we dont go well into triple didget figures.
I believe your analogy of health and welfare issues is indeed correct but you are misdirecting the blame!
Greed....would only apply to people working in their seventies! They are ****** the system. I am 52 and have 29 years here. I am vested at max but cannot retire without severe punishment and cannot collect social security till mid sixties. What do you suggest I do?
Now....last but not least. You are on a defined bennefit retirement no doubt. What do you think will happen to it if the union companies fold and there is no longer anybody paying into it? I will apologize to you for my outburst but I am not greedy! Just trying to get where you are and it really is getting harder! Nothing I would love more than a forty or fifty hour week but the companies wont allow it now UNLESS.....you are one of the new part time casual type workers without bennefits and there lies the big problem of the future.
Have a great day and enjoy your retirement....Im sure you earned it.

Nice post, and you are right. Some people get the false security that they are home free once they retire. Not so!