ABF | Holiday work

No such thing as a personal day in the W.Pa. Supplement. We do get Good Friday off,.....or any other day off, our choice, if the company decides to stay open on Good Friday,......which it has been doing, so we have a "floater",......Two, in fact. Veteran's day is the same.

5 sick days, to be used at the employee's discretion. Birthday is paid time and a half plus eight if worked, or if you just take it off, it's eight straight.

All of our holidays are time and a half if worked plus eight,......EXCEPT for Good Friday and Veteran's Day. They are straight time worked plus eight, overtime after eight. Contract specifically says that on those two holidays, they can force from the bottom. No mention is made of whether they can force from the bottom on the other holidays.

I would think that the pay difference,.....and the fact that Veteran's Day and Good Friday are segregated from the other holidays by a "period" (.), and different work rules concerning those TWO holidays only,....is de facto evidence of intent to allow a choice by the employees as to whether they will volunteer to come in or not,........instead of the company imperiously decreeing they can force from the bottom on every holiday, instead of just the two named.

It's tough enough to get hired and have to go two years without a vacation,.....and then have the company tell you that you MUST work Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, and Fourth of July,.........instead of being able to be with your family on those days,.....just because you're a new-hire on the bottom of the board.

And,......with the way work is going,....you might spend 10 years at the bottom,....in that "forced" position, before you gain enough seniority to get out of being forced to work holidays.

Being with ABF 22 years, and being a Teamster 40 years,....I've never worked a Christmas Eve,.....or a Fourth of July,.......and only one time a New Year's Eve through midnight,....because of a snowstorm and impassable roads. Somewhere, somehow,....the philosophy about Holidays changed,.......and not for the better. We are now going down to the non-Union's level,....instead of their going up to our (formerly) superior conditions and pay.
Agree, canary. 2018 can't come soon enough for me. These are all viable, addressable issues.

LOL are you serious about that?

And no supplement? What do you refer to for help then?
Just the contract itself. I, personally, would LOVE to see a Supplement here. I've seen some of the Supplements, and they seem well-written and advantageous.

Just the contract itself. I, personally, would LOVE to see a Supplement here. I've seen some of the Supplements, and they seem well-written and advantageous.
How can you not have a supplement? This is where holidays are identified, premium pay for Saturday, Sunday, Double time for working holidays, etc. What do you rely on?

Wow its so different in different places. BTW we can request to work on our birthday with a supervisor approval (they always want more). We get double pay for all hours worked plus the 8 hours. I did it once and made a crapload of money. Worked 12 hours on the street and another 2 on the dock. Now the money is gone and I will never get that day back. Ill never do it again

If I go out on a run on Thursday and come back at 2 am on Friday I would be entitled to the 4 hour work on the holiday penalty. If they call be at 1600 to go out again would I be entitled to another 4 since one shift has NOTHING to do with the other?or is that wishful thinking and double dipping??
Two separate tours. Not double dipping. Your working one tour into a holiday and one tour out of the holiday. If ABF can't wait until 12:01, oh well

At out barn there are plenty of guys who would want the premium pay so forcing wouldnt be an issue but I didn't think you could force on an actual paid holiday in the city, road I have no idea.
Yeah, tell me about it. We had 57 come and work the city on new years day plus an army of casuals

Two separate tours. Not double dipping. Your working one tour into a holiday and one tour out of the holiday. If ABF can't wait until 12:01, oh well
Hahaha......... You better read Article 59 paragraph 2, VERY CAREFULLY. Please post when ABF pays two 4 hour holiday premiums for the same holiday. I'll need to see the evidence. Take a picture and post it. :stirthepot:
That must be some mighty powerful crack you're smoking! :hilarious:

Agree, canary. 2018 can't come soon enough for me. These are all viable, addressable issues.
This is just like the made up language about uniforms........"Customer-facing "........where ABF feels that they can give a benefit to some employees and exclude others,.......because they did it with the old non-contractual uniform policy.

Because so many guys over the years have volunteered to work for premium pay on the holidays, the company has gradually insinuated that they can force from the bottom on ALL holidays. There is no contractual language that says they can,......other than the two specifically designated Veterans Day and Good Friday. Art. 53 of our Supplement segregates those two holidays from the rest, and specifically states those TWO only can be forced from the bottom.

Corporate overreach has decided quietly that they'll force whenever they want until they establish this procedure by custom,......... not contract. And,........until we get specific language statinng that a Holiday is voluntary, they'll keep on overreaching. Thus does our conditions deteriorate down to the non-Union level.

Wow its so different in different places. BTW we can request to work on our birthday with a supervisor approval (they always want more). We get double pay for all hours worked plus the 8 hours. I did it once and made a crapload of money. Worked 12 hours on the street and another 2 on the dock. Now the money is gone and I will never get that day back. Ill never do it again

I think I would have moved my birthday celebration to that weekend, enjoyed the day for the big payday and enjoyed that weekend even more!

Hahaha......... You better read Article 59 paragraph 2, VERY CAREFULLY. Please post when ABF pays two 4 hour holiday premiums for the same holiday. I'll need to see the evidence. Take a picture and post it. :stirthepot:
That must be some mighty powerful crack you're smoking! :hilarious:
I just explained it...

No you posted your opinion. Read Article 59 Paragraph 2. You don't get two 4 hour premiums for one holiday.
You sir are correct,different tours of duty on 2 different days. I left freight 20 years ago and now doing carhaul but our contract reads the same on holiday pay. 4 hours per Day "nuff said enjoying the new year

You sir are correct,different tours of duty on 2 different days. I left freight 20 years ago and now doing carhaul but our contract reads the same on holiday pay. 4 hours per Day "nuff said enjoying the new year
Thanks, the confusion is between a tour and a day. A tour of duty on any contractual holiday requires the 4 hour premium. But once you have earned it, working another tour on the same holiday does not entitle you to an additional 4 hours. Holiday pay is PER DAY, NOT PER TOUR OF DUTY. Motor on Brother!