Holland | Holland Family Week Is Over

Monkey

TB Lurker
Credits
Have you heard Holland will NOT be having family week this year ? Very disappointing to many wives and I am sure children that look forward to that week. I know I am one of those wives. Husband said he read it on bulletin at terminal something about Insurance Liability. We sign forms to cover them there I thought! I know both of us enjoyed the time we had together the pass few years that I was allowed to go. I will really miss going. I wonder who made that decision !:chairshot:

I wonder who made that decision !:chairshot:
Just my opinion, its because we are being controlled more and more by YRC instead of Holland. YRC doesn't have this program for Roadway or Yellow so they won't have it for Holland either. Its sad that it has come to this but with all of the other "things" that YRC Holland is pulling for no real reason, its not that surprising that this has come to pass. :thumbsdown:

Monkey, I see that you have been around reading posts for almost a year without posting anything until now. Welcome to Truckingboards and don't wait so long to post again. I think its great that a spouse is posting so that we can understand what the better half's are thinking about.

Have you heard Holland will NOT be having family week this year ? Very disappointing to many wives and I am sure children that look forward to that week. I know I am one of those wives. Husband said he read it on bulletin at terminal something about Insurance Liability. We sign forms to cover them there I thought! I know both of us enjoyed the time we had together the pass few years that I was allowed to go. I will really miss going. I wonder who made that decision !:chairshot:
I am a city driver, so this change doesn't change things for me any, but I have always enjoyed chatting with the youngsters and guests that visited our terminal. I always wished that the city guys could take a rider also. But, I do understand why they wouldn't let us take a rider. (customers concerns, and leaving a child in our truck while we were unloading) But for the linehaul, I think the "family week" should continue. I don't like the "well other YRC companies don't allow it, so neither can HOLLAND, excuse. YRC......:chairshot:

Unfortunately singing something doesn't release the company from liability.
It's been proven over and over that you can't sign away your rights.
I too am a city driver and it wont really affect me, but I think it's a bad thing when non truck drivers lose the opportunity to see what goes on out there. I think too many people just see the truck and fail to recognize that there is a person driving it.

I will miss meeting all the truckers that I had a lot of laughs with at the terminals. I will miss meeting all the other family members that came along with there drivers. We had a lot of fun chatting. It was also so good to let the family see what there truckers really have to deal with out there on the road. I know I learned a lot even though I respected already what my husband does for me. I really like my husband working for Holland and him being a trucker for over 30 years I will have to say this is the best place he has worked. I just wish Whom ever that made this change realizes it was really important to the family members who went with there loved ones. It is really hard with the hours he works for us to have time alone. I understand there stand in this but!!!! There are family members in other trucking companies that are allowed to go all the time. I would not want that but 1 week out of a year was nice. Just sad! I guess we will be saving the 120.00 that we paid to have someone watch our son and the pets. We will also save for the motel rooms we paid for when we got a home load and didn't want to go to our home to sleep. The extra money we paid to eat out. loll! Darn! I wish other family members would tell how they feel about not getting to go also! I know I know WAAAAAAAAAA! Still where is this person who decided this change? :chairshot:

I think someone (Benny):1036316054: should start a petition to send to YRC and let them know how important this was (is) to us. This was going to be the first year for my daughter to get to go.:mad:

YEA! GREAT IDEA ! :waycool:(Benny) loll where do I sign ? Wonder what it was costing for them to let us go before? What are they saving by not letting us go? :sadwavey:

I heard that there was a concern that if a driver had a heart attack or something and had an accident in the process and the passenger got hurt or worse the company didn't want that liablility. It make sense. Or if a driver gets sick on the road and has to go to the hospital, where does the kid go, and who has responsibility for the child? Just some thoughts.

I heard that there was a concern that if a driver had a heart attack or something and had an accident in the process and the passenger got hurt or worse the company didn't want that liablility. It make sense. Or if a driver gets sick on the road and has to go to the hospital, where does the kid go, and who has responsibility for the child? Just some thoughts.
These are easy questions to answer if you are a normal person. I think we all know corporate lawyers are not normal people.

Same thing if you are in a car with a child and there is a heart attack or an accident! My husband was alone when he was in New York and passed out. He was not driving but it was a long 24 hours being home and not knowing what was really going on. Another great trucker brought him back home the next day when he was released. I am not saying nothing drastic couldn't happen. It very well could. But! What does other trucking companies do in these conditions? One week out of the whole year and I am sure all these excuses not to let us go came up when they did let us go. I really believe it has to do with Money savings. Cutting cost for everything else that is going on. I understand what all everyone is saying about safety issues and so forth. It was just a great thing the company was doing for the trucker and Family. Heck I ride in back of him on a cycle I am sure I am in more danger doing that then being in a big truck loll! Oh and you know they had a age requirement for a reason. Reason I am sure being on how a child could handle a bad situation. There's really nothing more we can do about there decision I just wanted to let everyone know some of us are disappointed. Thanks for everyone's input and I will miss seeing you. Including the terminal that I walked in seeing a table full of bald headed guys saying ... You must all go to the same Barber hehehehe! They cracked up and another guy with a head full of hair at the other end of the room started laughing and rubbing his hair at me. I will miss it all even the shaking of the truck. Still a great company. Hey! Holland do something special for us to make up for taking our week away loll!:wavey:

Something special

They did something special today.

They issued a memo stating that we would no longer be getting a "birthday gift" from Holland.

What's next? Safety patches ?, years of service gifts?,

I know, Hams

Guess they really need the 100 million I heard they were trying to cut from their spending.

They did something special today.

They issued a memo stating that we would no longer be getting a "birthday gift" from Holland.

What's next? Safety patches ?, years of service gifts?,

I know, Hams

Guess they really need the 100 million I heard they were trying to cut from their spending.
That sucks, I really enjoyed the cheap pos things they gave out for birthdays. And I am not being sarcastic. It really made me think someone thought about the individuals for at least the couple of minutes it took to pick out the gift. And some of them I am still using so I guess they were not all POSs

That is down right sad! Ok ! Next will be the HAM loll! Wow! This is getting scary! I wonder what Yellow drivers get or that has been taken away? I am sure they have lost some of the nice benefits too! Some of the gifts were nice. Just hope it isn't the Jobs:eek:

I think that we all understand why the company would do away with this family week.....safety, etc. etc. However, it was a very positive attitude week for everyone. Wow, can't have that now, can we? :chairshot: But, if we all lived our lives wondering if, this was going to happen, or that was going to happen, we would all live in a bubble. I would like to know how many of these safety incidents ever happened. (if any) My guess is there were very few. Oh well, just another step in the wrong direction, here at YRC. We should be getting used to it. I'm surprised that one of their main excuses to cancel this ride program wasn't this........"Well, with the price of fuel, that extra body in the cab was killing our trucks fuel milage!" :duh:

I think that we all understand why the company would do away with this family week.....safety, etc. etc. However, it was a very positive attitude week for everyone. Wow, can't have that now, can we? :chairshot: But, if we all lived our lives wondering if, this was going to happen, or that was going to happen, we would all live in a bubble. I would like to know how many of these safety incidents ever happened. (if any) My guess is there were very few. Oh well, just another step in the wrong direction, here at YRC. We should be getting used to it. I'm surprised that one of their main excuses to cancel this ride program wasn't this........"Well, with the price of fuel, that extra body in the cab was killing our trucks fuel milage!" :duh:
I'm from Rdwy so have no business here but you guys forgot about all the extra potty stops. Can't be delaying freight ya know. :smilie_132:

I heard that there was a concern that if a driver had a heart attack or something and had an accident in the process and the passenger got hurt or worse the company didn't want that liability. It make sense. Or if a driver gets sick on the road and has to go to the hospital, where does the kid go, and who has responsibility for the child? Just some thoughts.

The bottom line is that Yellow and Roadway don't have a rider week so they are taking away ours. YRCW will never understand that your employees will treat the company the same way they are treated. Good or bad. YRC has taken a great family orientated profitable company and ruined every aspect of Holland. The riders signed a waiver protecting the company from liability. These big corporations have one philosophy: We want all of the profits and then more regardless of who we sacrifice (treat the employee badly and they will perform better). I say not me. Why would you buy a company operating at 85% and change everything? I can think of two reasons: 1. To purposefully ruin the Company, or 2. Incompetence.

That sucks, I really enjoyed the cheap pos things they gave out for birthdays. And I am not being sarcastic. It really made me think someone thought about the individuals for at least the couple of minutes it took to pick out the gift. And some of them I am still using so I guess they were not all POSs
I liked the cooler they gave us. You could load it with beer and sit in the parking lot while using the playing cards they gave us, nothing else to do when you are on layoff. And you can wear the hat to cover your eyes when taking a nap.....lol:1036316054:

I liked the cooler they gave us. You could load it with beer and sit in the parking lot while using the playing cards they gave us, nothing else to do when you are on layoff. And you can wear the hat to cover your eyes when taking a nap.....lol:1036316054:

Hey now, that cooler and playing cards has come in handy for me before!! For the record my wife never wanted to see the inside of a truck again after her "ride along":biglaugh: She gained alot of respect for all truckers out here! I was really looking forward to bringing the next generation with me in a couple years!!!:chairshot:

No BD gifts/ No Fam wk.

Not only no more family week, but as of June 30 Holland will not be sending out
Birthday giftsto the employees. Ken L, CEO Holland
says that they are spending $80,000 a year on the presents, but he does not mention Bill Z. just recieved a $5 Mil. bonus and use of a Lear jet. I guess he needs that $80K for jet fuel, how about it.

In his words and according to the letter " I encourage you to keep the various local customs for honoring the birthdays of your coworkers.
We all enjoy this kind of recognition and the camaraderie it builds." I wonder if he wrote this with a straight face:thumbsdown: