ABF | HOS

And not being compensated for it.

I did have an instance a year or so ago where I was going to run out of hours before getting into KC and had to stop in Cameron, an hour north of KC and wait for another driver to come pick up the set and take it on in. They paid me the mileage as if I ran the whole trip, but bobtailed off duty from Cameron straight to the hotel in KC. Never heard from safety, and they audit our logs like mad.

I did have an instance a year or so ago where I was going to run out of hours before getting into KC and had to stop in Cameron, an hour north of KC and wait for another driver to come pick up the set and take it on in. They paid me the mileage as if I ran the whole trip, but bobtailed off duty from Cameron straight to the hotel in KC. Never heard from safety, and they audit our logs like mad.
When did your 10 hrs start?

When did your 10 hrs start?
I would think his 10 hrs started from the time the other driver showed up and he was officially relieved from duty. The following is directly Fromm JJ KELLER's web site on using a company vehicle for personal use....

The 10-hour break? As suggested above, time spent driving “off duty” will count as part of a driver’s consecutive 10-hour break. For example, if a driver commutes home in a CMV for 2 hours, rests for 6 hours, and then commutes back to work for 2 hours, it would count as a valid 10-hour break, as odd (and dangerous) as that may seem. Again, this is based on the fact that there are no restrictions on what a driver can do during his or her off-duty time, as long as the driver is truly “off duty.”

I would think his 10 hrs started from the time the other driver showed up and he was officially relieved from duty. The following is directly Fromm JJ KELLER's web site on using a company vehicle for personal use....

The 10-hour break? As suggested above, time spent driving “off duty” will count as part of a driver’s consecutive 10-hour break. For example, if a driver commutes home in a CMV for 2 hours, rests for 6 hours, and then commutes back to work for 2 hours, it would count as a valid 10-hour break, as odd (and dangerous) as that may seem. Again, this is based on the fact that there are no restrictions on what a driver can do during his or her off-duty time, as long as the driver is truly “off duty.”
That is what I believe. My understanding is that 10 hrs was instituted so the driver could get 8 hrs of rest. At 8 hrs off duty drivers were lucky to get 6 hrs of beneficial rest after taking travel time, eating, and showering into account.

That is how I understand it also, the question is since he got paid the miles for the whole trip when did break actually begin?

6c83b3c2be3ce24efd300744257362f4.jpg

The driver in your example is "off duty" since he is on his personal time and is only using the company vehicle for personal use. In the original example the driver is returning a company vehicle (which he is responsible for) to the terminal and is still on the clock. Due to these differences I would be loath to assume that if something happened you wouldn't still be liable under the convoluted federal regulations.