Reddaway | How about some facts and figures pleezz

dave7v we agree more than disagree there are good contracts and bad, I work under one and it is my opinion that it does not benefit me. I brought home more money without the contract, same basic benefits but now I pay for them and no increase in pay, fact is now I make less because of it, is that what we strive for, less? That is my only point on the paper contract. I to am sick of the management that wont listen to the drivers and employees on how to improve service they are clock watchers just doing their time while the ship sinks. And we all know lazyworkers that need to go. And as far as the air traffic controllers WE AGREE! 100% we have no argument there. I was being told that Reagan was big with the unions and if I am not happy with the unions I am some how supporting Obama I did a bad job of trying to make my point but does anyone think Obama would have fired them?

To everyone at Reddaway I wish you all the best of luck. I do not buy a vehicle without asking owners of the same one I am looking at how it has performed for them, I can only offer what my own experience with this contract has been. If you can convince more than 50% of your shop to go for it more power to you. I only suggest you read it line by line and ask questions of the Union Rep you deal with (but remember he is the car salesman). I notice a huge void of anyone that IS union on this site raving about the benefits of it, I only hear people that are not union telling me the benefits that they think they will get from it. I come from a long line of union family memebers and I believe there are great contracts out there, I just believe the Teamsters fell far, far short on this one. I respect all your opinions and believe we are all entitled to one. I will be absent for a couple weeks starting Friday to recieve treatment for a medical condition but I look forward to being back on here soon. We all seek prosperity and security for ourselves and our families so we are all really not that far apart. God bless.

I think that contracts changing to be performance based sounds great. A good balance is needed. Protections for hard working drivers so that the rules cant be changed on you mid stream. Guarantees againest favortisum. Fairness based on a written contract. And pro business performance goals to stay profitable, and competitive. That is a very forward looking concept. I hope your right. BE SAFE

hey icerider
I wasnt bagging on you.I know exactly what your situation is in GJC.you guys had bunch of passive leaders that did not follow through in protecting your butts like the boys in boise did.I wish you guys in GJC would have had someone from boise to watch what was going on with the health plan instead of someone just trying to push somthing in.things will get better but not this year.I am 99.9 % sure who you are and I know your a good employee.I ran line up untill october so we have run 70 when 80 was closed on the same nights.good luck in GJC

Hey Steaker, I am happy to say I agree with everything you put in this post! Those of us that actualy do our jobs should not be put behind those who milk the clock and continuously delay freight, I think in these lean times it would be a good thing to "thin the herd" of those who can not or will not do the job. We should protect those of us who work hard and if these things were in the contract I could support the contract but I think getting anything like that in there is impossible, seniority is everything in Teamster contracts and sometimes it is the most senior drivers that are the biggest slugs. There was recently a driver with another company out here (teamster) who wrecked 3 trucks in one year before he was fired,all 3 his fault but the union protected his job for the first 2. Would anyone here want him driving next to your family on the fwy, it is those kind of things that need to stop.I like performance based.

Hey no worries, I dont take anything (well..most things ha ha) personal, we all have strong feelings about what is going on here at reddaway but like I say I do not believe when you get down to it that we are very far apart, in fact I believe we (drivers) probably agree on 95% of the issues. I think all of us are just very frustrated at management because they seem to just be taking us farther down the road to catastrophe. You probably do know me I have seen you in Denver be safe out there.

This company will continue to act the way they do until we ALL (union and non-union ) decide to stick together and supoport each other no matter what. If the employees can't see by now that the company doesn't give a rats a** about them by now they are blind. The only way we all win (and that include the company) is to have a voice in our workplace. Sign cards and join the union. Participate be active. The union is all members not just the BA's and elected people. If you don't like what is going on in the union run for office andmake the changes. It is the only way.

I dont think you are going to get anyone to sign a card when the current contract offers no real benefit to them, If the union wants to attract more members or sway those on the fence they need to come up with a contract that truly offers a tangible benefit that non union shops do not. A voice in the workplace did nothing for the 800 union employees that lost their jobs in Tx, Ok, La, and Nm when they closed their terminals or to the 3000 union Yellow and Roadway employees that lost their jobs when they merged, How has "holding their job for 2 1/2 yrs" helped them? where are they going to work? I agree the company does not give a rats A** about us but in the last two years it seems to me that more union jobs have been lost than non union about 2300 plus by my count does anyone have a count of non union jobs lost? The union is only as good as its members but the last time I checked their negotiators had cut my average pay raises in half from what Reddaway normaly gave....Thats real negotiating skills and as a union member I get to contribute to my health care benefits too. And that was before the economy took a dump. Reddaway management was probably laughing all the way to the bank after those negotiations.

Ice Rider, you keep saying the same thing. You can not compare how Union and Non Union are treated when they are next door to each other. Bringing up states that closed down due to lack of business is not part of the argument. When a Union yard is next to a Non Union yard in an area like So Cal, the Non Union always looses. 25 line drivers with up to 12 years on the job at Orange layed off. Gone forever. Zero line drivers layed off in Compton just 23 miles away. 30 local drivers layed off in Orange. Gone forever. A few local drivers layed off in Compton, many of them back working as casuals. There are no casuals in a non Union yard. Any casual who works 100 hours a month in a Union yard gets health care. In Orange local drivers with 13 years on the job, have been reduced to parttime, and get no health care even if they work 200 hours a month. Stop comparing things to Texas or Colorado, its just not a valid argument. And if you want to call some Union guys bad drivers who have received unfair protection. Go ahead. I'm sure your right. But why bring it up when the question is about years of service, layoffs, workload, or who gets what benefits. The question we seem to always wrestle with you over is fair treatment. But your rebuttle is your contract charges more for health care than Teamsters in California, or some Teamsters with bad driving records are protected, or states with no business shut down. Again, compare Orange to Compton, or Sac to Oakland. The Teamsters always win. Stick to the point. No one is calling you lazy just because your Union. UPS is 200,000 Teamsters strong. Are they lazy? Are they protected dangerous drivers? Every Teamster can choose to work like UPS, or like the United Auto Workers in Detroit. That will determine if they have a future. The only Union members at Fedex are the pilots. They went Union in Oct 2006, about the same time that some Reddaway yards pushed for the Union. Are those pilots lazy, or dangerous? They average a masters degree, and 8 years of military flight training. Are they stupid? Greedy? Trying to get away with something? Asking to much? Why couldnt they just trust their management to be fair? I'm sure their contract isnt perfect, but its a start. Conservatives invented the contract. Ronald Reagan was once President of a Union. Obama has never had a job. Be Healthy and safe brother.

Steaker you are a Dreamer - I know how many trucks have been pulled out of Compton there are a lot more lay off's there then you talk about, go blow your horn down the road and not in city limits !!
You don't know it all quit pretending.

I know them by name. Can you name who has been layed off in Compton line? They even hired 1 layed off line driver from Orange, and 2 from Downey. I can give you the phone number of a guy in Compton line if you need verification. I've been in that yard hundreds of times, next time your in there, look on the wall in the breakroom, their senority list is posted. I have often had to wait there for a load, I know everyone of them.

Steaker I challenge you to find one single post of mine where I have EVER reffered to anybody UNION or NON UNION as lazy or stupid or called them "dangerous" or greedy because they want or to be union? do not put words in my mouth, someone that has not read my posts would assume that I have said those things. You tell me stick to the facts, I ask you to do the same. I said there are some with seniority (union and non union alike) that are slugs. Can you say there are not? And yes at UPS there "is" a woman driver STILL employed who at the time I was there had 17 accidents on her file yes 17! and she is still there. Exactly which conservative invented the contract? most things were done on a handshake until the 40s. The unions are going the way of the dinasaur Consolidated freightways and NW had the strongest of unions where did it get them? Sitting in Orange Ca. you may have tunnel vision but California is Custers last stand for the unions. And yes I keep talking about how I pay for healthcare and Raises have been reduced and how I take home LESS money since joining the union and you have yet to tell me how that is a good thing for me and my family? It is obvious that less than 50% of the people at your terminal agree with your side of this or we would not be having this conversation....you would be bringing home less too. And if it makes you feel any better about it, I got word last night they may be closing my UNION terminal soon. rumor now but..........

Steaker - stick to facts so you say that 3 non union drivers went to LAX a union barn and were hired on yet there are still union drivers that are still laid off from 399 - that just doesn't sound right - I don't know how you can say that with a straight face oh yeah I can't see it and 575 has no work they are shrinking fast has nothing to do with union or non, people come back to work as the freight volumes increase and no other reason come on get real.

You know Steaker, I guess the biggest difference between the two of us is that I have never had a problem standing up for myself, I have gone to my TM and stood eye to eye with him and made my case when I had problems with something, and I have no problem going higher up the food chain when neccesary you can ask our freind Jack, I do not intimidate easily, most people that are treated unfairly allow it to happen. Have you gone up the food chain? have you confronted your TM? and if you did not get a satisfactory responce from him have you called Bob Stone when you thought you were treated unfairly? or are you waiting for some union steward to fight for you? if these things happen like you say they do get the senior drivers together and make some noise. I have a steward but prefer to speak for myself... I dont know I was just raised that way, I am not in the habit of whining about unfair treatment while I wait for someone to do something for me. I have not been secluded in Colorado all my life, I am from California, I just moved here 5 yrs ago, I drove truck in So. Ca. for 24 yers I owned a transportation business in So. Ca. I managed a trucking and concrete pumping company in So. Ca, so to act like I do not know anything about Ca. is disingenuous on your part.You are starting to sound like Obama I am living it and telling you what it is like and you are telling me how good it is for me no matter what I think. I find it Ironic that the only ones extolling the virtues of the union here are Non union people...where are all the union members telling stories of how much the union has done for them?and how many of them had their jobs saved by the union? the silence is deafening. My rebuttle was not that my contract charges more than teamsters in California My UNION contract charges me - NON union shops PAY NOTHING- FREE- NO CHARGE>>WOW! those teamsters are real tough negotiators, how did that benefit me Steaker??? They negotiated our pay raises down from one cent to a penny and a half per year on average to locking is into half a cent for the first three years then .75 the fourth year it takes 5 years to get to a full penny how did that benefit me? or benefit you?? dont you think they should have started at a penny a year in negotiations? start at where we were? somehow I see the company negotiators saying...you want us to give what?? where do we sign!

Bike guy, it is a fact that Compton layed off no line drivers and then even hired 3 more line drivers that have been layed off in Orange and Downey. I know these people personally. This is not a rumor. If your not in the area, make some phone calls and find out. If you have seen less trucks there in the last 2 years, it is because they closed their shop. And there is longer any loaner trucks or trucks in for service there. ..... Ice Rider, we are not going to agree, but my facts can be verified. Lots of problems with the modern Union, and yes the Union are their own worst enemies. By the way, we made our yard Union on a friday. Over the weekend the company moved in 70 guys from another terminal to break the Union. Union on a friday, and the Union broken on a monday. And yes I've argued personally with Big Bob Pebble V.P. of misoperations. I've wrote the President. I've also talked to the V.P. of transportation. I've had yelling matches with all kinds of management. Believe me, my job is on the line because of stands againest bad management. Management reguraly tells me that they read my posts on Truckingboards. They all know who Steaker is. And of course I've stood up in the Union hall, and told them they should be "independent" and not support the "dems" or allow them to speak in their halls. I've been kissed on the cheek by the local dem congresswoman whom I cant stand, in that Union hall. I'm not even afraid to stand up to you, and I know your tougher than all of them. Be Healthy and Safe brother.

Steaker you are wrong as too why there are less trucks there the loaners yes are gone but then again they would not be sitting there anyway I have seen many of the trucks that were parked and sold at 399 and more that were moved to 517 and parked and sold there as I'm in the shop so get back to facts like the drivers at 399 are not happy and the dock workers who got hit hard when they went union are not happy and wish they had not signed cards, why don't you talk to them, as I have many times. Stop dreaming and get with what's real.

If you ever vote in the union we will agree within one year. I was once very pro union I even bought the jacket! wore the Tshirts everywhere and tried to get others on the band wagon. Tell me Steaker just how many days, months or years of union membership do you have under your belt?.....I know bikeguy was a member for years as I have been.
Do you not find it ironic that you who to my knowledge have never been a union member are telling us who have been and are currently how good it is? think about how silly that sounds. It is like me trying to tell my father (a veteran of two wars) how combat feels though I have never been there. Do you see the flaw in this?
If you get around to crunching numbers I just want you to answer this one question:

How does making less money and cutting my pay increases in half and paying more for benefits help me, my family or any other working man?
One simple question Steaker and I will wait for your answer. Do not answer with the same old rhetoric. Answer that specific question. By the way I can not stop laughing about Ronald Reagan being the President of his union LOL C'mon Steaker you had to dig deep for that It was the actors guild (ha! ha!) that is kind of like being president of Spanky and the gangs club house! LOL! what trials of the working man have they fought long and hard for! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! have a great weekend I am trying to fly to Washington D.C for my treatment but they keep cancelling my flight because of weather there. Hope they will let me on while I am laughing so hard!

I wont tell anyone that working non-union is better than working union and visa versa.but anyone that thinks that the NMFA is so great opposed to a white paper contract is just fooling themselfs.the NMFA is a DINOSOUR and it will be completley dismantled and re worded in the next 2 contracts.the days of lazy workers falling through the cracks and bringing the rest of the companys numbers down are quickly coming to an end.this is why YRC along with the dont give a shhhhh mentality of its managers is hurting so bad right now. solid labor agreements like the UPS package contract that is based on individual performance is the only way to structure a union workforce.the reddaway contract for the west is just about as good as you are going to get nowdays in this economic climate.the UPS freight contract has to much fat in it to get them into the next contract they will be asking for concessions real soon.and if the fundimental function of a union is to strike(icetrucker)then the air traffic controllers should not have voted on the contract that specificaly prohibited any type of strike.and if they did vote no and continued to work under such terms they are the idiots that should have left and worked elswhere.

UPSF contract has to much fat in it. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

hey icerider???
your pay increases at reddaway union or non-union are exactly the same.
YRC made certain of that.you make it sound that if your terminal never voted this contract in that you would be so much better off but in reality YRC would have made sure you were making less.
you are forgetting that most all of us non-union terminals would love it if reddaway was still owned by usf because we never had a need for a union we benifitted from our boyzzz in portland who negotiated on tough contracts and then USF reddaway corp officials would just hand over most of what they were getting to the non-union terminal employees.it was an ideal situation to be non-union.icerider its not the union that made this nightmare its YRCW.