TForce | How much pay cut would you be willing to take if linehaul was mostly during the daytime?

Night linehaul isn't just doing the same job on a different shift, it requires a real dedicated change in ones total life style including family time and that change takes a really long time to achieve and is not without pain.
A lonely wife would be the one to wreck everything.

DM Bowman wanted to flip me into nights running lime tanker in bulk. Bittenger Quarry back and forth and back and forth. I was on days.

Did you know they issued formal instructing to me that I need to do nothing but sleep days for three days and nights so that I can run nights with a body clock? It takes three days to flip it. Or nights rather.

If you were to run days again after running nights you need another three days.

Dispatch never works like that. There is that load that needs there today. Suns up. Get going yer late damn it.

If you're a half decent worker and you don't make a habit of this, why would they look to fire you if it's a rare thing, especially if you're in the right and the law is on your side? If, on the other hand you're a screw up then yes, maybe they will look for reasons to stick it to you.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I ran Sleeper Team under 800, years ago. Its to destination and back home, 900 is wild. unless they changed it.
i'm not sure how/what sleeper is classified under now. But 800 solo now is also "wild." And, as an 800 driver, you "must" comeback/must be routed to come back to your home terminal at the end of your shift/every morning. Whereas 900 could theoretically stay out indefinitely, although when i was 900 i only averaged a hotel stay once every two weeks and only once did i stay in a hotel 2 nights in a row and that was when we were really hot and heavy.

Linehaul isn’t for everyone just like p&d isn’t for everyone! I’ve done linehaul for over 20 years. Linehaul becomes very monotonous! We do it for the money point blank & some to not deal with customers! Night time no joke but even in the daytime after doing the same run for years. Theirs time’s your mind tends to drift away. Everyone that does these type of jobs is a very big piece of the giant LTL puzzle. Happy New Years & truck on safe my fellow truckers!

i subbed in for linehaul this week. For some reason, this week i was extremely tired. i think because this was a set "000" series route between terminals. And the way it was setup, you really couldn't take any breaks. Whereas when i was running linehaul fulltime, it was a "900" series run and i could and did take naps frequently although usually only 1/2 hour to an hour at a time and usually only once per night if i did take a nap at all. So, that is probably why i was REALLY tired this time.

i actually started hallucinating the last night of the week-----the interstate changed into a dirt path like you'd see in a fantasy/medieval movie setting and i was no longer driving a truck and i wasn't a driver anymore---i was some wizard/sorcerer and the "truck" turned into some large glass box that was moving. A few minutes later, i "saw" a guy sitting on a roadside billboard. Fortunately, these "trips" only lasted for a second or so. This was a very dangerous situation and since it was the last night of the week and the terminals were all closed, and wouldn't break the freight until sunday night/monday morning, i DID decide to take a nap as soon as i got to the next
A pay cut?? Lol.... Once you lose something, that usually never comes back..

A pay cut?? Lol.... Once you lose something, that usually never comes back..
What i'm saying is IF linehaul was daytime or mostly daytime. i believe the improved conditions would warrant a paycut realistically speaking.

i'm not VOLUNTEERING a paycut, what i'm saying is that IF linehaul was to move to daytime, then realistically, the pay would probably go down.

How much would you be willing to give up...........

What i'm saying is IF linehaul was daytime or mostly daytime. i believe the improved conditions would warrant a paycut realistically speaking.

i'm not VOLUNTEERING a paycut, what i'm saying is that IF linehaul was to move to daytime, then realistically, the pay would probably go down.

I will give up sitting on my ass at some place that cannot be bothered to dock me right now for 12 hours or more. I gave up so much sitting on my ass for nothing at all.

And trucking companies wonder why I get difficult when they tried to stick a sitting on my ass delivery? They cannot be that stupid.

Pay me.

What about sitting in traffic? That's a pay cut...

What this tells me is you aren't cut out for linehaul. Line haul is certainly sustainable as they didn't just start doing it the week before you started driving, as we have a member on here who ran linehaul in 1955, but it goes back even farther than that. Now before you ask, nope I don't work for T Force, but linehaul is the same for most companies so it makes no difference....me personally I have no desire to run LH but if I did there would be no cut for me....
I think I know the dummy to which you are referring,
I did choose to start at midnight because it just worked out better for my time off, also because of traffic.
With our lenient running time in Charl plus PIE so laid-back you could nap almost anytime.
I am fortunate, I require very little sleep even today.
I also know how Max's problem can happen with total exhaustion.

I can recall being willing to negotiate pay for AC at contract time.
Fla was hot in the summer.
We got it in 78.

You would make good bottom management material... And a great stranger.

This would never work as all freight companies need to be on the same page to be competitive regarding linehaul shipping times. I was a night time linehaul driver for 30 years with OVNT/UPSF. This lifestyle is not easy hence the higher pay scale. Back in the day when we had long schedules, we had more quality time with our family's even though you were in a hotel 3-4 days a week. With these turn schedules If you have a family, you will not see them that much even though you are home every day. Ethier you are cut out for it or you are not. I have seen drivers come and go and crash. Your body must get accustomed to sleeping 6-8 hours per day and readjust every time you have time off. A lot can go wrong at highway speeds if you are not alert. The pay is good but not good enough considering what you give up. I was always consistent with telling my wife/family that the payoff was a healthy retirement saving because of the higher pay scale and an early retirement at 59 years old. Was it worth it? for me yes!

Last edited:
I can recall being willing to negotiate pay for AC at contract time.
Fla was hot in the summer.
We got it in 78.
Razorback in Searcy during the 1999 year had me in a mixer number 129. It had no compressor hookup to speak of. No air. The same deal with B&B Concrete of W Little Rock. Too cheap to allow A/C in most of their stuff excepting a top 5 or so of their golden haired children who are being groomed for future managing the outfit should it survive that long.]

I had a incident near Romance Arkansas one summer day Solid Blue sky. 110 outside. About 150 in the cab no wind. We were sitting on a sloped valley where its all stone under the wheels. Natural stone common to the Ozarks in the hills that they dug u around the property out of the way.

Unfortunately it was a infrared thermal mass for that entire 4 acre slope off the pavement road up top. I estimate the cab temperature with all windows open and doors open at this point at about 165 F engine dead idle, half the water left in tank having sat for a hour plus waiting for contractor to pour the freaking basement already.

I was wearing the barest minimum allowed on company property. A tee shirt cotton and a cut offs which I had switched to from jeans. And of course the steel toed boots which was beginning to be a painful heat transfer device onto my feet slowly burning the lower half.

I had fluids. But learned that afternoon you can drink a gallon per hour pacing yourself and you sweated it all right out. I had lost by then 15 pounds that afternoon. Mostly in water volume lost.

When the dizziness set in I recognize I was officially heat stroked. Having had that in childhood a few times and again in adult hood twice prior in trucking. No food was available. You could not maintain a Hershey bar in that kind of temperature. It just melts. Hershey bars are my emergency ration and medicine specifically for when the body's store of glocouse fails entirely leading very quickly to a genuine medical life threatening emergency.

End of part 1

Part two

I was picking up the mike to call in tones on the medical emergency of heat stroke to dispatch when I heard the first roll of thunder that was very deep. And the truck shook with a 50 degree F Gust from a burst coming off a cloud that ambushed us over the ridge.

7 minutes after that the truck was axle deep in water. We three hid out in a garage on the property where the cement pad was dry under a roof and four walls. I was cycling in and out of the pouring solid waterfall breaking the heatstroke as fast as I could drinking the rain straight out of the sky and catching it with my shirt. Which was probably not ideal But when you must have fluids anything goes.

We told the shop they have that week to hook up the compressor for AC.

They laughed. What they never did see was I paid cash at a dealer to have it hooked up safely electrically. They can call it tampering with company equipment but it bought a few more weeks of hot work in that bad summer.

And suits wonder why we industry old heads learn to hate them selectrively with a passion. Disconnecting a/C compressors to save a dime on fuel burn.

I must admit you may have suffered a little discomfort, but nothing like a summer we had in Charl one year.
I was cultivating 20 acres of popcorn with my favorite mule Big Dave (no relation to our Big Dave), when the temp got so hot, the popcorn started popping on the stalk.
Big Dave thought it was snowing, laid down, and froze to death.
Now that Sidewinder was a hot summer!

I must admit you may have suffered a little discomfort, but nothing like a summer we had in Charl one year.
I was cultivating 20 acres of popcorn with my favorite mule Big Dave (no relation to our Big Dave), when the temp got so hot, the popcorn started popping on the stalk.
Big Dave thought it was snowing, laid down, and froze to death.
Now that Sidewinder was a hot summer!
Why didn’t you chain him up? So he could have headed to the barn?