Yellow | Husband having a hard time finding a job

maggie727

TB Lurker
Credits
My husband lost his job with YRC and he is having a hard time getting hired in the freight industry (he has a class A). Employers are interested, but then he gets ghosted. He does have WC injuries - do employers discriminate on that? Also, he is older (late 50's). We wish we knew what the problem is. He even had one job offer, then it was rescinded minutes later. We live in CA - I read somewhere if a job is offered an employer can look up your WC record. Anyway, it's been tough for us as a family. I feel for all the families affected by this. He is a hard worker, and for 31 years hurt his body giving everything to Roadway and YRC. Then to give up his pension contributions and a pay cut only to be discarded hurts - not just for him but all of us. He is a year away from his pension retirement. I work part time, but not enough to support our family and unemployment is only 450 a week. Thank you for any ideas or recommendations, we would appreciate them!

If you are near the coast, there should be many port container carriers. Should mostly be drop and hook. Also would not take any job where they designate you as a, contract driver. It’s a ripoff.
Mail carriers?
Construction dump truck driver?
Ace Hardware truck driver from their DC’s?
CostCo drivers in this area,(Chicago)drop and hook, $29.00 hourly.

Can a prospective employer find out if you had a worker's compensation claim in the past? I've heard this idea brought up in the past but don't know if it's true or where that information is even found. I knew a guy who was out on comp 4 different times in 2 years. He was fired shortly after the fourth time then hired by Saia. I doubt they would have taken him if they knew about that.

My husband lost his job with YRC and he is having a hard time getting hired in the freight industry (he has a class A). Employers are interested, but then he gets ghosted. He does have WC injuries - do employers discriminate on that? Also, he is older (late 50's). We wish we knew what the problem is. He even had one job offer, then it was rescinded minutes later. We live in CA - I read somewhere if a job is offered an employer can look up your WC record. Anyway, it's been tough for us as a family. I feel for all the families affected by this. He is a hard worker, and for 31 years hurt his body giving everything to Roadway and YRC. Then to give up his pension contributions and a pay cut only to be discarded hurts - not just for him but all of us. He is a year away from his pension retirement. I work part time, but not enough to support our family and unemployment is only 450 a week. Thank you for any ideas or recommendations, we would appreciate them!
Sorry to hear this. I know it’s not very comforting but he is not alone. Yellow not only left a bad reputation in the industry it has been troublesome for many to find work with Yellow as former employer. Unfortunately we are in a freight recession and the industry can pick and choose who they want for what ever reason. I had one employer ask my age and he said you don’t have to answer, when I did he replied “good you won’t tear up my equipment.” As being older and more experienced.
Hang in there something will come up.

Can a prospective employer find out if you had a worker's compensation claim in the past? I've heard this idea brought up in the past but don't know if it's true or where that information is even found. I knew a guy who was out on comp 4 different times in 2 years. He was fired shortly after the fourth time then hired by Saia. I doubt they would have taken him if they knew about that.
In today’s world with or without your permission to access your info they pretty much know everything about pretty quick.

He does have WC injuries - do employers discriminate on that? Also, he is older (late 50's). We wish we knew what the problem is. He even had one job offer, then it was rescinded minutes later. We live in CA - I read somewhere if a job is offered an employer can look up your WC record.
WC history is public record in CA IF an appeal was filed during the process. However, if your records are accessed you will be notified.

Absolutely, employers will discriminate against folks with a WC record when those injuries would effect your ability to do the job.

Perhaps self employment or a change in industry might be something worth considering. Best of luck in the search.

Yes it's all public record.

Deay lady, you have my profound sympathies. I was very fortunate to have enough years in the pension before they defaulted on it so that when the "hammer dropped" retirement was available to me. That is what I did. Of course, I am considerably older than your husband. I remember well being laid off frequently from the driving job I loved, and NOBODY worth a damn to work for wanted to hire me because they knew I would likely go back to what I was doing when called back. I did some REALLY crap jobs during those layoffs. Yellow had me working casual, liked my work and asked me to stay with them. It turned out to be a good career move for years until "Credit card Bill" ruined the company's finances.
Keep your head high and keep "pluggin' away" looking for a new job for him. It will come, and you will recover. I'm counting on you. Give yourselves a hug from all of us.

At U.S. Rep Sean Casten's petition kick off I posed a general statement that mentioned that local Yellow drivers were having a hard time finding new jobs. He spoke in generality about several related issues— value of unions, importance of good faith negotiations, etc. but he did not address the specifics of Yellow. Anyway, he also mentioned that UPS is looking for qualified professional drivers and that union membership in many industries is rising. A woman in the audience said that her husband runs a trucking company and that they are also seeking qualified drivers.

I am originally from California. What part of the state are you guys from? He might look into gasoline hauling. I used to haul milk. From what I understand, Ruan is Teamsters. There may be other union companies in that industry. From what I understand, only Teamsters were allowed in to certain milk processing facilities in southern California/Los Angeles area. I'm not completely familiar with which ones though. That would be a union hall question.

I am originally from California. What part of the state are you guys from? He might look into gasoline hauling. I used to haul milk. From what I understand, Ruan is Teamsters. There may be other union companies in that industry. From what I understand, only Teamsters were allowed in to certain milk processing facilities in southern California/Los Angeles area. I'm not completely familiar with which ones though. That would be a union hall question.
Jimmy has been driving for Ruan for a while in the Midwest. Maybe he knows of some openings. Jimmy hasn't been posting much lately however.