Yellow | I am with FXL

I am with FedEx Freight out of Indianapolis we have a few ex YRC guys that have hired on. We will hire union guys. They didnt even have to sign a withdrawl card. Looking back over the past when we had a chance to hire a union guy or a non union guy it was whos best for the job no matter where they came from. Now there are managers in the company who have it out for the union and wont hire them but most will. Good Luck to everybody in this crappy industry.

How did you apply there...online or in person? And are they hiring now? I've been applying there over & over, but never any reply. I have a perfect driving record, & was considered an excellent P&D at YRC with 25 years driving experience. But for some reason, they never reply.

How did you apply there...online or in person? And are they hiring now? I've been applying there over & over, but never any reply. I have a perfect driving record, & was considered an excellent P&D at YRC with 25 years driving experience. But for some reason, they never reply.
Try calling their Human Resorces, and hear what they have to say.

I have two ex YRC buddies that hired into FED EX National (Watkins) so I know that is possible. Now one of those guys was run through the process to hire on at FED EX Freight (American Frieghtways I think) and even tho the Manager liked him very much, corporate would not allow him to be hired as he was once Union. That came from the Manager himself. The only thing was approx 2 years between applications. So I'm thinking it depends on the division your trying for or just a change in Fed Ex mentality. But I can attest to the fact that at one time they did turn down Union applicants.

That is so illegal,if that manager was that stupid to say that.he should be the first one on the witness stand !

I got hired on @ Fedx Natl 11/09. I was a skeptic @ first because I recalled all of the negative press that had been spreaded about Fedx during my tenure at YRC. So I went into this job thinking I was an "informed" new hire. I started out in P&D here in Dallas and in less than 6 months I was able to transfer to linehaul with my own bid run. I'm home everyday & off every weekend. I have to suit up in a uniform everday but I'm happy here and I thank God I have a job with bennies & good pay. I've also gotten 3 laid off YRC guys on in linehaul and there are many other ex YRC guys here also. Fedx Natl wants to hire drivers with a good stable work history, solid driving skills that can be insured. There may be some people here that are anti-union but rite about now their need for good drivers trumps the union dark cloud. I didn't think I would get a phone call from them when I applied but I did and you could too if you apply!

It also a possibility that a lot of the original Yellow Freight Management who have been cut by the merger went to other trucking companies. They do know there are dependable drivers that can get the job done. I have been asked more than once by former Yellow Freight Management to drive for Fed Ex and ABF, in the last couple of months. I declined upon request at every attempt.

There are more people who are in need, greater than myself that are willing to do what they need to do to support their families. It is not just because Fed Ex is a non-union company, either. It is whatever that puts food on the table, and gets the bills paid for the time being.

Lets not all kid ourselves about the union/non-union scenario. I am not scoring points just because I am/was a Teamster. It is that I have the morales and decentness of letting someone have a chance when the time comes of who needs it more. I won't lose any sleep over the decision I made, either. Everything can be just temporary, until the economy comes back. Who knows, maybe another opportunity will show itself.

I want to wish everyone good luck and hang in there. :3dflagsdotcom_usa_2

It is whatever that puts food on the table, and gets the bills paid for the time being.
Everything can be just temporary, until the economy comes back. Who knows, maybe another opportunity will show itself.

Please keep reminding me of that....I'm beginning to feel like I'm going to get stuck in this new crappy non-union job. When I think of how many guys are laid off above me, I don't think 10 year recall rights are going to be enough. :sadwavey:

Im with FedEx Freight and we hired two YRC guys into the city at our barn. They are good fellas and Im sure we will be looking for more.

Please keep reminding me of that....I'm beginning to feel like I'm going to get stuck in this new crappy non-union job. When I think of how many guys are laid off above me, I don't think 10 year recall rights are going to be enough. :sadwavey:
Although you may be correct when you call it your "crappy non-union job", you may want to try to change your attitude about it. It seems that you are comparing it to your old job. Which would make it seem crappy. But, it IS your new job. Think positive about having a new opportunity to start fresh. Having a "crappy" job is better than having NO job. Try to stop comparing it to what you used to have. That job is gone. Try to make the best of a fresh start. New friends. New relationships. New challenges. Make the best of it.:1036316054:

Relax

Don't let a job bring anything down. Take some of advice from me. This is what would do when I am feeling down. Just got on that CB radio, and do some (Radio-Rambo). Helps to relieve some stress. I would do it all the time. Anytime I was feeling down, I get on that CB. My favorite targets were those Con-way drivers. For the best results, start practicing, talking like a foreigner, first. Have make sure there isn't a lot of trucks in the rear-view mirror, or trucks ahead of a half a mile. Night time it is easier to get away with it.

Another thing I would do is play my "Metallica" cds. I would pulling triples down the highway, jamming to the music with my head bouncing back and forth. Yeah, and I had some drivers passing around, staring, and shaking their heads at me as if I were nuts. I would still keep my head bouncing, staring back at them and then lay of the air-horn. After a while I would forget what I was down about, and I started having a better day. It is being able to take the negative energy, and use it as a positive. Remember, pain is temporary, and pride is forever. :1036316054:

Actually, it IS a crappy job. Low pay, long hours, EXPENSIVE insurance. They already raised the insurance premium by another $10 a week, & I haven't gotten to use it yet! No way can I see doing this the rest of my life. Why am I doing it now? Because I haven't been able to find a job in the freight business, so I thought the gas business would be less affected by the economy. And there is plenty of work, just at low pay. I try not to think about the danger part. And, I listen to AC/DC :)

[quote author=CDLguy link=topic=77263.msg811928#msg811928 date=1268510458]
Actually, it IS a crappy job. Low pay, long hours, EXPENSIVE insurance. They already raised the insurance premium by another $10 a week, & I haven't gotten to use it yet! No way can I see doing this the rest of my life. Why am I doing it now? Because I haven't been able to find a job in the freight business, so I thought the gas business would be less affected by the economy. And there is plenty of work, just at low pay. I try not to think about the danger part. And, I listen to AC/DC :)
[/quote]
According to your profile you live in Indy (Indianapolis) ? I just checked the jobsite Indeed and in the last 8 days Estes, Dayton Freight, Con Way and Fed Ex all had ads for linehaul and/or p&d drivers. But of course they are all non-u.

Heard FXNL was getting rid of all co drivers. Know for a fact that PAM transport has contract to take over at FXNL yard in Shamrock TX was going to for testing today but deciced aganist it. What is going on there?

okie,
I believe that is well covered in the FXN forum. If not, I'm sure L57racer will be happy to update you if you PM him.

[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=77263.msg809945#msg809945 date=1267982265]
Good luck to you !
[/quote]
A lot of us became dockworkers and are not employable by fed ex standards. You have to have 12 months verifiable driving in the last 3 years. I did an interview and they wanted me but HR said no cause I worked the dock/yard for 5 years. I have had a CDL for 20 years. Conway hired me right off, they also hired some that never drove but got their CDL anyway from a school/training at Yellow/etc... But your right they will hire union guys at both places. Conway wants YRC guys 'cause they have freight experience.

The important thing is you are working. Those still on lay off status......don't give up....you will find something out there. Things will get better. I have been with FXN for 6 weeks and the pay I get is the same as before. We have to be working.....the UIB is good for awhile but when you look for work your job experience is what counts. If you are even working part time that looks good on you. It is hard having to be the last one in but we all have to start somewhere.

Hang in there guys it will get better. Don't lose the faith....you lose that you lose everything

[quote author=CDLguy link=topic=77263.msg811928#msg811928 date=1268510458]
[/quote]

Did that work for 4 years. Try going down the road with a load, singing to Molly Hatchet's "Flirtin' With
Disaster"! :shift: