Yellow | I am with FXL

da goat

TB Lurker
Credits
Went to training in Dallas last week and will start working on P & D Monday. When I was in training there were other ex YRC drivers there also that got hired. We just said among ourselves we had to do what we had to do for ourselves. This thing that they will not hire union drivers is not true.....it's your work ethic that can get you in......so don't give up and apply if you need to with other companies as they will hire you if you are a valued employee and you keep your nose clean. Adios YRC, hope things get better for you guys......

Well good luck to you! I' ve been laid off awhile from yrc too. I can't get fxn or fxf to call me so went with
Dohrn Transfer for now. SWT

Good luck "da goat" and "sick with it" .I hope everything works out for both of you. There will probably be a lot more right behind you.

Went to training in Dallas last week and will start working on P & D Monday. When I was in training there were other ex YRC drivers there also that got hired. We just said among ourselves we had to do what we had to do for ourselves. This thing that they will not hire union drivers is not true.....it's your work ethic that can get you in......so don't give up and apply if you need to with other companies as they will hire you if you are a valued employee and you keep your nose clean. Adios YRC, hope things get better for you guys......
I have two ex YRC buddies that hired into FED EX National (Watkins) so I know that is possible. Now one of those guys was run through the process to hire on at FED EX Freight (American Frieghtways I think) and even tho the Manager liked him very much, corporate would not allow him to be hired as he was once Union. That came from the Manager himself. The only thing was approx 2 years between applications. So I'm thinking it depends on the division your trying for or just a change in Fed Ex mentality. But I can attest to the fact that at one time they did turn down Union applicants.

Da goat, can you tell me if any of the new hires were on the wrong side of 50,just trying to see if companies are discriminating against older workers.

Da goat, can you tell me if any of the new hires were on the wrong side of 50,just trying to see if companies are discriminating against older workers.

I can answer that. I just went through FXN orientation last week with a ex-yrc driver going P&D and a ex-Wilson driver that is 59 years old going into Line Haul .

No I am 52 myself. When I would do deliveries my other friends from other freight companies would ask me if I was working. I would reply yes, but only one or maybe two days a week. I would ask them is your company hiring. I don't know how many times I asked them that question. But I am a person that treats people right because that is the way I want to be treated....and one day one of the guys from FXN told me they were going to hire and he would give a good word for me. The next thing after I applied I was called for an interview. The rest is history....the bottom line is don't burn your bridges you never know you have to ask for a job......the managers go from one company to another so always do your best.....the word gets aroud who you are and how you work....

Sorry guys....I had the wrong abreviation.....I meant to say fork left....lol nothing personal just joking and laughing at myself....

i'm 54 and just got on with FXNL in January. We also have a couple of ex supervisors and at least 7 or 8 ex YRC employees, I actually like it so far, if you do your job they pretty much leave you alone, but i'll have to say it was pretty tough mentally starting over again at 54, I sure hope this is the last time I ever have to start over again in this industry.

I interviewed with them on the phone. The lady I talked to said I sounded perfect for the job, then she found out I worked on the dock for 5 years. I have had my CDL for 19 years and spent most of my time in the yard. Fedex (any company division) needs 12 months of verifiable driving in the last 3 years. Now don't go saying that I must have messed up somehow, I know the sales lady in the area. She met with the human resource person I spoke with and was told that they really like me but rules are rules and that I should come back after 12 months of driving. I asked about the apprenticeship program during my interview but I'm not eligible because I have a CDL already, so I offered to teach the class for them, lol. It got a chuckle but still a "no we can't hire you till' you get more experience". Whatever, I'm at Con-Way, for now anyway.

I have two ex YRC buddies that hired into FED EX National (Watkins) so I know that is possible. Now one of those guys was run through the process to hire on at FED EX Freight (American Frieghtways I think) and even tho the Manager liked him very much, corporate would not allow him to be hired as he was once Union. That came from the Manager himself. The only thing was approx 2 years between applications. So I'm thinking it depends on the division your trying for or just a change in Fed Ex mentality. But I can attest to the fact that at one time they did turn down Union applicants.

I am with FedEx Freight out of Indianapolis we have a few ex YRC guys that have hired on. We will hire union guys. They didnt even have to sign a withdrawl card. Looking back over the past when we had a chance to hire a union guy or a non union guy it was whos best for the job no matter where they came from. Now there are managers in the company who have it out for the union and wont hire them but most will. Good Luck to everybody in this crappy industry.

I am with FedEx Freight out of Indianapolis we have a few ex YRC guys that have hired on. We will hire union guys. They didnt even have to sign a withdrawl card. Looking back over the past when we had a chance to hire a union guy or a non union guy it was whos best for the job no matter where they came from. Now there are managers in the company who have it out for the union and wont hire them but most will. Good Luck to everybody in this crappy industry.
I certainly can't argue from first hand, I just know what I was told by the man that couldn't get hired. I have been taught to never put your trust in any man but this one has never given me a reason to doubt him. Could he have been given a line from the FedEx Manger? Yes!! I will say the manager, if it was him that made the decision, is a poor judge of manpower as this gentleman will fit in where ever he works and will probably outwork most there. Of coarse in life it is not always about who can do the job. :shrug:

Why wouldn't they take a withdrawal card??It would be in there best interest....

Why wouldn't they take a withdrawal card??It would be in there best interest....

Let those people go, because those are the people who think they have all the answers to everything. Always take a withdrawl. I guess some people like to learn things the hard-way.

A withdrawal card is not a resignation. It just means that you are not a dues paying
Teamster. There is one OTR company that will not hire you UNLESS they have a
copy of your separation letter.

I got hired on @ Fedx Natl 11/09. I was a skeptic @ first because I recalled all of the negative press that had been spreaded about Fedx during my tenure at YRC. So I went into this job thinking I was an "informed" new hire. I started out in P&D here in Dallas and in less than 6 months I was able to transfer to linehaul with my own bid run. I'm home everyday & off every weekend. I have to suit up in a uniform everday but I'm happy here and I thank God I have a job with bennies & good pay. I've also gotten 3 laid off YRC guys on in linehaul and there are many other ex YRC guys here also. Fedx Natl wants to hire drivers with a good stable work history, solid driving skills that can be insured. There may be some people here that are anti-union but rite about now their need for good drivers trumps the union dark cloud. I didn't think I would get a phone call from them when I applied but I did and you could too if you apply!

A withdrawal card is not a resignation. It just means that you are not a dues paying
Teamster. There is one OTR company that will not hire you UNLESS they have a
copy of your separation letter.

Yes I agree. But I know a couple of yrc drivers that have litterally resigned from yrc once they were hired at
CWF they several years with yrc.