Yellow | If and when yrc shuts down what are you really afraid of??

Well good thing you got out because the WORLDS LARGEST RETAILER has now taken that away also , Wal-Mart Starts Selling Caskets, Urns Online - ABC News
The world's largest retailer wants to keep its customers even after they die.
Wal-Mart has started selling caskets on its Web site at prices that undercut many funeral homes, long the major seller of caskets.

The move follows a similar one by discount rival Costco, which also sells caskets on its site.

Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, Ark., quietly put up about 15 caskets and dozens of urns on its Web site last week.

Prices range from $999 for models like "Dad Remembered" and "Mom Remembered" steel caskets to the mid-level $1,699 "Executive Privilege." All are less than $2,000, except for the Sienna Bronze Casket, which sells for $3,199.

Caskets ship within 48 hours. Federal law requires funeral homes to accept third-party caskets..................

It's about time somebody did this.The Funeral Homes rip you off on every thing.They try to rush the funeral so you do not have time to price shop.They used to be a family first business now it's a get that dollar business.

it's about time somebody did this.the funeral homes rip you off on every thing.they try to rush the funeral so you do not have time to price shop.they used to be a family first business now it's a get that dollar business.

its all about the money , ask zollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny I started off doing long haul. I thought I liked to drive till I started with Chemical Leaman. They're gone now. Way too many miles. Life on the road is not good for everyone. But a lot will have to go when unemployment runs out. Anything is better than losing the house

Did local for 6 years in Pa.- aged 16-22. A friend asked me at age 22 when (since I'd always said I wanted to buy a truck and see the country) was I going to see the country, or was I just talk? I bought a new Transtar Cabover three days later, and off I went. Did that until 81, then was in operations for 5 years. Then the 22 at Preston/Yellow local in Indy. Now back on the Road. Not my favorite plan; I'd love to be home every day. But it's the best job I can find-- possibly the best I've ever had. We do what we have to do to make a living. Which is what this thread is about. There ARE still good jobs out there-- maybe not the ones we want, but the ones we can get!

It's about time somebody did this.The Funeral Homes rip you off on every thing.They try to rush the funeral so you do not have time to price shop.They used to be a family first business now it's a get that dollar business.

I know your point. Yes, it's all about money. Same as YRC and our Union. Find your niche. Make your money. I love competition. Bring it on; may the best man win.

The main problem with a WalMart casket is going to be they are going from the plant to the customer on a FedEx LTL truck (they are building a terminal next to the plant in Illinois). Being ex-Yellow City, I know what happens to a casket on a LTL trailer. They will be stacked on, crushing them. They will be stacked on other freight, probably get a fork stuck thru them getting them down. The driver will have a delivery without a lift-gate, and he won't do it; saying "My job is to get it to the back of the truck". The Funeral Home Director doesn't get his cut of the profits, so he won't want to help. No one wins. I can see it now; the morning before the funeral-- a guy with no help shows up to deliver a damaged casket. Frustrated, grieving family. But they saved money. (And not that much, as opposed to my NorthStar Line. Ours competes well with WalMart; at least we're both American Made. The Chinese are kicking Both our butts......)

Are the caskets loaded or empty, and do you dead head a lot.

Matty's Back!!! Boy am I glad to see you're back on here!

Empty; although I always say to my Mother In Law who has no insurance--- when you die, I'll just throw you in one, and tell the customer-- "Surprise!"

Yep- light loads out; deadhead (ha-ha) back. Loads of fun in the snow and ice......:TR10driving03:

Wishing YRC Teamsters the Best......and how you might hedge your bet...

UPS Freight driver here...

I sincerely hope and pray that YRC stays operating and the rumors are rampant to say the least....but I will suggest...

If YRC were to go the way of Consolidated the other carriers will grow at an unheard of rate.

At an invitation only meeting with UPS management [VP] I asked a question and commented that letting all the experience offered by the drivers at YRC would be the key to the response to customers needs IF YRC were to cease doing business. How would UPS use that experience to gain market share?

His response was that plans are in place to use the experience offered by previous YRC employees and many areas would see 2 terminals operating where there is only 1 at the present time.

My suggestion is that all of you should go to the UPS Freight site and fill out an application.
At present the applications are considered on a first come first served basis. Getting into line ahead of the 'madd rush' just might work to your better! Too often we can look back and see that if we had chosen a different route our present position could have been key to our personal [and Family's] future.

Again, the demise of YRC would be a very dark moment in time for every Teamster and for that matter everyone that still believes in 'The American Dream' Teamster or not!