I'm done.

grocerythrower

TB Legend
Credits
So they moved us from 60/7 to 70/8, now I went from 58/59 hrs to nearly 65, I am finished guys. Its a quality of life issue with me, I don't want to work like this, all I do is work and sleep, every Saturday I sleep half the day away and still don't catch up, I hate to do anything on the weekend because I'm to tired.

I called my local 523 President and told him to find another steward. I have to make it to June 10th, so I can take my 401k match money with me, its gonna be tough to go that long, I have grown to hate this place, my routes went from 2800 cases a week to 4000, I never clock out before 1900 anymore.

I don't know what I'm gonna do but its not this, not for very much longer. I wouldn't recommend anyone come to work at Sysco Oklahoma unless they want 25 hrs of OT a week. The way I see it I work for free on Friday because the whole day goes to our worthless government, part of Thursday for that matter.

Good gosh I'm pissed just writing this.

GT

So they moved us from 60/7 to 70/8, now I went from 58/59 hrs to nearly 65, I am finished guys. Its a quality of life issue with me, I don't want to work like this, all I do is work and sleep, every Saturday I sleep half the day away and still don't catch up, I hate to do anything on the weekend because I'm to tired.

I called my local 523 President and told him to find another steward. I have to make it to June 10th, so I can take my 401k match money with me, its gonna be tough to go that long, I have grown to hate this place, my routes went from 2800 cases a week to 4000, I never clock out before 1900 anymore.

I don't know what I'm gonna do but its not this, not for very much longer. I wouldn't recommend anyone come to work at Sysco Oklahoma unless they want 25 hrs of OT a week. The way I see it I work for free on Friday because the whole day goes to our worthless government, part of Thursday for that matter.

Good gosh I'm pissed just writing this.

GT
Don't do anything rash GT. There any grocery store warehouse operations around you, some of those have pretty good operations, drop a loaded trailer pick up an empty. I know in my area the big food chain jobs are some of the best driving jobs around. Might not be the biggest paycheck but they treat you good and let you have a life.

Everybody has a tipping point, I don't blame you one bit, when I was pushing a wheeler there was a time I couldn't wait to get to work, then its maybe one route a week you hate, and it may grow to two, but the rest of the week will make it worth it, but when you hate every day, you know its time to go, and when you reflect on your life and ask yourself "really, this is all there is, this is it, this is why we're here" its time to go. So I would do everything to get ready for a new fresh start and not look back, I guarantee you'll miss some of your customers, maybe some co-workers, but in the long term you won't miss the work, you will however carry the "hard work ethic" and it will be a sought after quality to future employers. Keep us posted.

I'm with you 100% GT I will not will not work some place that I hate and do a job I can't stand doing that's to many hours mine as well be OTR living in a truck at that point, heck some of those guys hate to say it probably have a better quality of life then what you go through. I'm with Kaboomerang 100%. Trust me I see where you're coming from obviously I work for a different operation, but the work is hard the hours are long sometimes and can certainly empathize.

We've had about 10 drivers leave in the last few months for the same reasons you give, all had 3-8yrs in and just gave up. I was just talking to my wife about this. Work like a dog to make the money to do things for the kids, starting to realize that I'm always too tired to do anything WITH them and I'll never get the time back. Before they lost their ever loving minds here I had one long day a week, the other four I could be back in between noon and 2. Now that they've cut and combined routes 4 is an early day, push up against 60 more often than not. Like you said, I wouldn't recommend Sysco KC to anyone either. I used to be a Sysco driver. Now I'm a truck driver who just happens to drive a Sysco truck...the relationships been reduced to trading my labor for money.
Good luck to you GT, it's Sysco's loss.
Waiting until the 401k match hits will be tough, especially if you want out, but don't leave early and give 'em the money.

gt sysco it a good co. just remember its the ones running the show that cant do the job in the first place Ive seen dt could not deliver the gros went they was driver . just do your best and if you run out hour let them come and get you. after it happen 3 to 4 time they may take some stop off you like I try to tell driver dont let it get to you. sometime I think they do that so they can push you to do more

gt sysco it a good co. just remember its the ones running the show that cant do the job in the first place Ive seen dt could not deliver the gros went they was driver . just do your best and if you run out hour let them come and get you. after it happen 3 to 4 time they may take some stop off you like I try to tell driver dont let it get to you. sometime I think they do that so they can push you to do more

Won't work with Sysco they don't care and you'll never make them care.

You should consider yourself lucky, I would kill for ot like that. But I understand quality of life. Good luck to whatever you do grocery thrower, you seem like a good guy and I'm sure you'll do well no matter where you end up

You should consider yourself lucky, I would kill for ot like that. But I understand quality of life. Good luck to whatever you do grocery thrower, you seem like a good guy and I'm sure you'll do well no matter where you end up

The overtime at Sysco is not like everywhere else. Well not at my opco the dip with that much overtime would only be about 340 dollars hardly worth the time. Then with that type of overtime and no time with famliy and being mentally and physical wore out that is why guys are leaving.

the dip with that much overtime would only be about 340 dollars hardly worth the time
Same here, works out to $12 or $13 or so an hour. Just took it on the nose here, routes that have "big stops" on them are now being paid differently. Some guys have taken hits of $150-$450/wk. Guys who've complained have had their easy stops taken away/given to new drivers who don't know any better and had the cases replaced with garbage so they now work longer hours for even less. Local's fighting them on that as they work on our first contract, stinks though in the meantime.

It seems like most companies feel that if you have the hours available you should be working. It may not be any better at other places Grocery Thrower. Jack Cooper tried charging me with delay of a load on a Friday when I loaded with 50+ hours in for the week and parked it until Monday. They had a hard time understanding that just because I had the hours to complete the load that didnt mean I was going to work 70 hours. Now I start my pre-trip sometimes an hour before I leave the hotel or the house and always log up until 10 hours before I want to start in the morning. You just have to find a way to beat them at their own game. You may just have to draw a line in the sand and fight them until you can take no more. I feel like 50-55 hours a week is enough and anything over that is my choice and not theirs. The real issue is that most employers are short of help and they will do what it takes to do more with less people. Hopefully this pressure will cause wages to rise more rapidly to entice people to fill these jobs.

Thanks for the replies fellows, here, if you put 5 yrs in you can draw retirement at 62, put 10 in and you can draw at 55, I always wanted to make it to 10 honestly, probably jump to shuttle if they ever get the bids out to get my 5 in then split, I hate to give money away. I have calmed down some, its good to know that I'm not alone in this! Union or not your all my brothers and I appreciate the support.

I have an interview in Tulsa soon and is it that bad? Do you get time and a half after 40? I'm coming from the oilfield working 110hr weeks and I'm done with that. I'd like 50-60 hours a week. I've never been in a union either. I'm hearing all this bad stuff about the company and now I'm getting nervous

Wow. I guess I'll just be happy with my 40-45 hours and $70-80k. I ask for extra work, but never seem to get it. Though I am pretty picky about extra routes. Gotta be easy...

I keep thinking I should get out while my body is still in one piece, but I don't know where to go. Sounds like I have it pretty good.

You make that much working those hours?! How many years do you have in? What district? Shoot I make that working 110 hours a week

I have an interview in Tulsa soon and is it that bad? Do you get time and a half after 40? I'm coming from the oilfield working 110hr weeks and I'm done with that. I'd like 50-60 hours a week. I've never been in a union either. I'm hearing all this bad stuff about the company and now I'm getting nervous
Sg, if you don't mind 60 to 65 hrs a week its fine, thats my beef, always has been. Its good to see you on here, I do believe that you will like this better than oil field work, the work is very physical as I'm sure you know. Like I said earlier, I have calmed down quite a bit. The more drivers we have the easier all our work will be, as for the hours, you can kill it and go home or you can take your time a little more and get the ot.

Welcome to TruckingBoards, all you can do is give it a shot at Sysco, it may work well for you, if we get more drivers it will begin to work well for me once again. Best of luck!

I'll tell you this , GT is not telling you any lies my friend and if they treat the drivers anything like us drivers that go there to deliver they should be shut down. I despise that company and the way they treat human beings.