ODFL | Industry “leaders” suggested solutions to the driver shortage.

Peaceofmind

TB Lurker
Credits
Reading the responses from the article, I must have missed the input from actual truck drivers? You know, the ones doing the job?

How about, no strings attached pay, and benefits?
Pay, weather hourly, or mileage that equals $28-$30 an hour, including all wait time from arrival, to departure at customer facilities. No, detention after 2-3 free hours
Good health insurance with affordable deductible, and out of pocket.
Company match on 401.
$50 a night for sleeping in the truck.
Paid 34 hour layovers.
No driver sort and segregate.
Paid road breakdown time.

I'm 11 years into retirement, 40 years of trucking, surrendered my CDL, reinstate me without any bullsh.. and I might work a couple days a week. I'm not going to jump through hoops and won't take a job that requires hazmat endorsement.
I turned in mine some years ago, Arkansas has me Grandfathered. So getting it back will not take too much effort considering. (NO Hazmat...) However the medical situations i have been in the databases ban me from OTR trucking anyway. You cannot simply say no to something like have you ever had arthritis or something. Its all there for any doc to see today.

I'll die a trucker. But frankly the industry can have it and choke on it some days.

I'm 11 years into retirement, 40 years of trucking, surrendered my CDL, reinstate me without any bullsh.. and I might work a couple days a week. I'm not going to jump through hoops and won't take a job that requires hazmat endorsement.
I enjoy the older models at truck shows.
As long as C S and mama can maintain my lavish lifestyle, no more truck driving for me!

I turned in mine some years ago, Arkansas has me Grandfathered. So getting it back will not take too much effort considering. (NO Hazmat...) However the medical situations i have been in the databases ban me from OTR trucking anyway. You cannot simply say no to something like have you ever had arthritis or something. Its all there for any doc to see today.

I'll die a trucker. But frankly the industry can have it and choke on it some days.

What does "Arkansas has me Grandfathered" mean?

It’s almost like being exempt from the Fair Labor Standards (FLSA) has hurt the industry in the long term

Most drivers careers go something like this:
Get CDL, get first job, work an honest 70+ hour week but only get paid for the equivalent of 30 hours work, quit and never drive again.

It’s almost like being exempt from the Fair Labor Standards (FLSA) has hurt the industry in the long term

Most drivers careers go something like this:
Get CDL, get first job, work an honest 70+ hour week but only get paid for the equivalent of 30 hours work, quit and never drive again.
I agree. Trucking as a profession will never be seen as desirable as other blue-collar professions that are not FLSA exempt, meaning they are guaranteed a minimum wage and overtime pay for all hours worked over 40. Only the government has the power to change this, but sadly they have been convinced by industry “leaders” (like our VP of human resources) that the labor “shortage” is a supply- side problem; i.e recruit more women, teenagers, ex-cons, homeless, old people, etc. The critical question is whether or not the supply chain needs to totally collapse before people come to their senses and address the real reason that nobody is interested in this profession.

Reading the responses from the article, I must have missed the input from actual truck drivers? You know, the ones doing the job?

How about, no strings attached pay, and benefits?
Pay, weather hourly, or mileage that equals $28-$30 an hour, including all wait time from arrival, to departure at customer facilities. No, detention after 2-3 free hours
Good health insurance with affordable deductible, and out of pocket.
Company match on 401.
$50 a night for sleeping in the truck.
Paid 34 hour layovers.
No driver sort and segregate.
Paid road breakdown time.
I read those responses from a bunch of know-nothing clowns. All they wanted to push was their tech. Ooh this app would help facilitate loads, this app could find them parking spaces, this app helps with route optimization.

Most of these inept idiots couldn't find their ass with both hands, let alone understand the difficulties and problems that arise every day. People that are always quick to push technology as the solution are usually the least capable of solving problems.

What does "Arkansas has me Grandfathered" mean?
When you held a CDL A or B after a specific year and its good at that time, you are allowed to hold that License without actively being employed in trucking. (Under Tier Two usually) you just signed a Tier Two to the state and they wont require a valid DOT medical and so forth to keep that license from being downgraded.

Grandfathering has one additional benefit. Now that I gave up the CDL A in my lifetime to Arkansas, I can with a single refresher and a 18 wheeler go to any Arkansas test ground with a learners permit and get my CDL A back provided I can pass the written tests etc without trouble.

For the immediate situation if you gave up a CDLA or B in Arkansas and downgraded you can reupgrade back within a year on demand. After a year you needed to take a refresher which is about a few hundred dollars at any school on a learners A or B. No biggie.

The important distinction is that medical DOT cards are not required to get into it again. Thats where the Tier two comes in.

ANY one who holds a CDL in Arkansas who does not update the DOT medical or renews the license in a timely manner will have their license downgraded automatically now.

If you wanted specific details outside of my post, you can contact the Arkansas Commercial Vehicle division and they will help you with the grandfathering clause.

I read those responses from a bunch of know-nothing clowns. All they wanted to push was their tech. Ooh this app would help facilitate loads, this app could find them parking spaces, this app helps with route optimization.

Most of these inept idiots couldn't find their ass with both hands, let alone understand the difficulties and problems that arise every day. People that are always quick to push technology as the solution are usually the least capable of solving problems.

Yeah. Ted here says it all. The last few words. More incentives( strings attached to driver compensation)

C67720A8-EE50-44A1-8DAD-1423FE98473A.md.jpg