ODFL | Industry “leaders” suggested solutions to the driver shortage.

It’s almost like being exempt from the Fair Labor Standards (FLSA) has hurt the industry in the long term

Most drivers careers go something like this:
Get CDL, get first job, work an honest 70+ hour week but only get paid for the equivalent of 30 hours work, quit and never drive again.
“Smart drivers”

Reading the responses from the article, I must have missed the input from actual truck drivers? You know, the ones doing the job?

How about, no strings attached pay, and benefits?
Pay, weather hourly, or mileage that equals $28-$30 an hour, including all wait time from arrival, to departure at customer facilities. No, detention after 2-3 free hours
Good health insurance with affordable deductible, and out of pocket.
Company match on 401.
$50 a night for sleeping in the truck.
Paid 34 hour layovers.
No driver sort and segregate.
Paid road breakdown time.
I like but there is not a trucking company in the world that employs smart enough management to run a company with pay & rules like that & survive. von.

Does that mean, talk with fancy words that everyone scratches their head after reading them?

We do that on the phone all night long. But since they ain’t wrote down. No one reads them. One of my faves is ijit. Siri still don’t know what the hell that is.

They can dumb down the payroll and make it very simple.

ADD up everything their number one senior driver makes a year. Toss 20% over. Thats the total in a year income.

PAY ALL DRIVERS THAT SALARY weekly for the entire year. One number minus the necessary withholding and deductions.

One little number. If the driver wants to make that he can stay, if not? He can go away. Plenty more will line up.

Driver shortage??? How about wage shortage! Companies and the likes of the ATA keep complaining about a driver shortage, we’ll let’s take a look at that! One issue facing the industry is the shipping ports and the backlog of containers! Much debate about the reasons, well the problem wouldn’t be the slum compensation to owner operators hulling those containers would it? How about the likes of companies like Prime with their owner operator lease purchase plans for drivers, or freight brokers that don’t want to pay o/o the money to haul the freight! How about Fortune 500 companies like some listed on here that give piece meal raises that don’t even keep up with inflation! Drivers just find something else to do for a living!

And shut up the little doggie in the brown behind the public facing dispatch desk inside the one door open to us to retrieve problem packages one hour late wed every week. The profanity we have hard many times before and does not contribute to a lost and found.

I am learning just to run US Mail where possible even if it cost a few dollars more.

I dont bother to retrive packages like that anymore its abandoned.

They can dumb down the payroll and make it very simple.

ADD up everything their number one senior driver makes a year. Toss 20% over. Thats the total in a year income.

PAY ALL DRIVERS THAT SALARY weekly for the entire year. One number minus the necessary withholding and deductions.

One little number. If the driver wants to make that he can stay, if not? He can go away. Plenty more will line up.
No one is lining up where I’m at. Been advertising for months, can’t get 1. 2 quit in the last month.

I read those responses from a bunch of know-nothing clowns. All they wanted to push was their tech. Ooh this app would help facilitate loads, this app could find them parking spaces, this app helps with route optimization.

Most of these inept idiots couldn't find their ass with both hands, let alone understand the difficulties and problems that arise every day. People that are always quick to push technology as the solution are usually the least capable of solving problems.
That one phrase, couldn't find their a## with both hands describes at least 75 percent of management in this racket.

From what I hear Old Dominion does not pay O.T. until 60 hours. Which for the life of me, I don't know how that's legal under federal law. Hourly employees need to band together at every terminal and demand that you get paid O.T. after 40 hours. What will they do? Fire every driver for standing up for their rights?

From what I hear Old Dominion does not pay O.T. until 60 hours. Which for the life of me, I don't know how that's legal under federal law. Hourly employees need to band together at every terminal and demand that you get paid O.T. after 40 hours. What will they do? Fire every driver for standing up for their rights?
No it’s after 50 starting January 1 for #P/d drivers Even though they pay us good money there’s so much free time given away they’re making millions a year but that’s their whole game they make each Driver give up 30/40 minutes a night free nobody Complains about it because of the money and they laughing all the way to the bank there’s a cancer in his company it’s slowly eat itself away but I don’t care be out of here before it ever becomes Terminal

Short Driver's but nobody will raise the pay scale ??
774f107a33c6ca00cabba908f419039b.jpg