Central Transport | Interview tomorrow

Dick Dastardly

Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!
Credits
Hello guys. I have an interview in the morning with Vitran. I'm curious about the minimum hiring standard. I have a simple assault misdemeanor charge that is just over five years old. Will that stop me from getting a job if I'm offered a position? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have been out of work almost a month and really need this job. Thanks guys.

company use to be strict when it came to records and experience, but company is not what it use to be. now you only need 1 yr of exp instead of 2 and employees with felonies are now employed here. there should'nt be any problems.

Hello guys. I have an interview in the morning with Vitran. I'm curious about the minimum hiring standard. I have a simple assault misdemeanor charge that is just over five years old. Will that stop me from getting a job if I'm offered a position? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have been out of work almost a month and really need this job. Thanks guys.
Shouldn't matter as long as your CDL is good.....Your DAC report is good.....And you have a little driving experience.

Thank you for the replies. I have been driving since 1999. Six years over the road, and the rest local. I'm applying in Charlotte NC. I see all the financial problems Vitran is having, but anything beats unemployment right now. I'm in the process of having the charge expunged but it is still showing up. It was a misunderstanding that went too far(lesson learned)

Thank you for the replies. I have been driving since 1999. Six years over the road, and the rest local. I'm applying in Charlotte NC. I see all the financial problems Vitran is having, but anything beats unemployment right now. I'm in the process of having the charge expunged but it is still showing up. It was a misunderstanding that went too far(lesson learned)[

keep it quit don't open a can of worms trust me bro!

I'm, a former charlotte driver and we just had five of us city drivers leave. go in and be eager and make sure neat looking and paul will hire you. He needs city drivers very bad because more are trying to leave. pay sucks and the dock is a real mess but you will be fine and don't worry about something like that .I'ts over five years its no big deal.

If you want to apply on line at U.S.F. Holland friends I know there say they are hiring,also try Conway both in charlotte and are better. Hope you have some good luck and if your driving record is clean and your breathing Vitran will hire you.

Just like sparky10 said, eager, clean and this guy paul will hire you if your driving record holds up. If he asks about your misdemeanor charge, be short, direct and just the facts. Tell him what he needs to know and no more. He won't care for your opinion of the judge, or that it "was just a misunderstanding." Never lie--he will check it out if he is really interested. You will be the new guy, so expect to be dumped on. If the other drivers jump ship over there, you should have drivers below you...someday.

It's not the greatest job but it beats unemployment. Some of the other LTL companies are a bit harder to get on to. So I would suggest coming on board to get your foot in the door then look around if you find the job unbearable. Get as much LTL experience as you can and then use it as a stepping stone to move on to a better LTL company down the road if you so choose. Good luck brother Truckdriver79.

I will take all the advice with me in there today, thank you. It's at ten a.m. this morning with Paul. I'll update you all as to how it goes. Hopefully I get on and can help "right the ship" as they say. I'm pretty flexible and dedicated so hopefully it all works.

The interview went great. Paul seems like a likeable fellow. He gave me a choice of City or Linehaul. I chose City P&D. He sent me for a physical and drug screen right after the interview. I did mention the old misdemeanor charge but he said no worries. I didn't elaborate as he just basically cut me off saying it was old and not a felony. Thanks again for all the great advice gentlemen. Hopefully I'll get my drug test results etc. back by Friday so I can start on Monday. I'm tired of sitting on the couch after a month off. :couch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news! My advice is to keep your nose clean, do not gripe at work (thats what we are here for).

Over the next six months get your experience. Tonight start researching other LTL companies and in the spring start applying to places like old dominion. Even if an ok raise comes through there is no financial advantage to staying at vitran. We have poor beneffits, pay will still be substandard, and morale is terrible. This is a great opportunity to step into another job. Congratulations!

yes, this is only a bandaid for a wound that needs stitches. i would seriously look for other work because this place is like a hamster on a wheel, you keep trying to go somewhere but end up exacty where you started. it's basically a temporary deal til something else comes along. welcome to truckingboards. good luck at vitran.

company use to be strict when it came to records and experience, but company is not what it use to be. now you only need 1 yr of exp instead of 2 and employees with felonies are now employed here. there should'nt be any problems.

Now hiring qualified drivers is sooo bad that vitran is looking to hire people straight out of driving school. They would to drive with a trainer 240 hours before being on their own. But I believe this is all relative to getting the ok from insurance company.

Now hiring qualified drivers is sooo bad that vitran is looking to hire people straight out of driving school. They would to drive with a trainer 240 hours before being on their own. But I believe this is all relative to getting the ok from insurance company.

A friend of mine that works in Trucking HR said there are two reasons for the driver shortage. First is the large number of drivers that are retiring, and second is applicants can not pass the drug screen.

Another buddy that works in a factory by Pittsburgh said the Company had such a problem with applicants not being able to pass the drug screen that they dropped the drug screen requirement.

I hope drivers keep doing drugs and retiring. If supply and demand works we will all be making over $100,000 a year.

luci, you are one sick dude!l, JUst get out of my way, I am moving to the top. :bouncy:

I hope drivers keep doing drugs and retiring. If supply and demand works we will all be making over $100,000 a year.

They will allow cross border transportation of Mexico trucking firms before that happens. Right now the program is tied up in court because Mexico carriers do not have to conform to the same safety standards as American and Canadian Trucking Companies.

the retiring and failing tests means more drivers with towels on head and no speak english. the railways seem to be picking up steam once again too.