Estes | Is it just me,or...

Driving Schools and Cheap Contractors

How many lost their jobs only to have contractors start running the same freight on schedules? I've heard of a couple half ways being cancelled then outsiders running it straight through everyday.

That's the future guys. Why pay an extra board or 2 meet and turn drivers when you can call one of the many cheap truckload contract carriers? They'll just call the driving school and have them puke out some more wannabes. With the economy so screwed up now, they have an endless supply of them who have no problems at all taking your job. Get used to it.

How many lost their jobs only to have contractors start running the same freight on schedules? I've heard of a couple half ways being cancelled then outsiders running it straight through everyday.

I don't know the exact figures,just as anyone else does..I was merely explaining,why some of the 1/2 way turns are picking up,as far as freight volume goes.. And that the freight for some terminals are getting their freight there faster..Rerouting..Most of the "outsiders" that you refer to,I assume are contractors,are handling the long distance freight,in our part of the states..Plain and simple,from what I've seen,we were over-populated with drivers,with the volume of freight we are moving now..Does that make me feel any better about people being layed off? No..

I dont feel good about the layoffs but we did have too much capacity. I used to dread going into WMX but it seems now you get out on your 10 there. If the volume is not there you cant justify keeping drivers on with the expense of benefits etc. They are trying to get it as efficient as possible, in this economy every dime counts. Hopefully this thing turns around soon so we can get back to normal.

I dont feel good about the layoffs but we did have too much capacity. I used to dread going into WMX but it seems now you get out on your 10 there. If the volume is not there you cant justify keeping drivers on with the expense of benefits etc. They are trying to get it as efficient as possible, in this economy every dime counts. Hopefully this thing turns around soon so we can get back to normal.

.and so these folks can come back to work,if they so desire..

Got my run cut for the 1st time in a long time last night..ATL said they had a little for me,but nothing important..Huh...I thought it was all important..Anyway,just wanted to vent..

Got my run cut for the 1st time in a long time last night..ATL said they had a little for me,but nothing important..Huh...I thought it was all important..Anyway,just wanted to vent..

Guess that freight just turned into 2nd or 3rd day service now. No hurry.

Hoping that was just a one time thing there. If it keeps happening you'll soon have a target on your back too.

Hoping that was just a one time thing there. If it keeps happening you'll soon have a target on your back too.

Beleive me driver,when I say this,I have been waiting for years..Almost ready to get out of this business anyway..Just not what it use to be..I see freinds get treated unfairly everyday..Taken away from their families..But I'll hang there as long as they let me,and take more..And when that target is on my back,I'll be ready..Life does not end at Estes..

Beleive me driver,when I say this,I have been waiting for years..Almost ready to get out of this business anyway..Just not what it use to be..I see freinds get treated unfairly everyday..Taken away from their families..But I'll hang there as long as they let me,and take more..And when that target is on my back,I'll be ready..Life does not end at Estes..

Almost 12 years in LTL myself. Had applications out since layoff Nov. 12 and if nothing comes back by Jan. 4th then i'm going to take the paycut and go back to truckload. Way too much instability and uncertainty in the LTL sector.

are we experiencing a minimal influx of freight..our inbound freight and outbound has picked up..is it just me,wishful thinking, or is it true??might just be different regions experiencing different happenings..

uptick for sure in all sectors in trucking, larger consolidated orders vs smaller every two weeks orders. Also we have seen mucho freight o/b vs i/b

Almost 12 years in LTL myself. Had applications out since layoff Nov. 12 and if nothing comes back by Jan. 4th then i'm going to take the paycut and go back to truckload. Way too much instability and uncertainty in the LTL sector.

23 years in the LTL business and 4 years as an o/o in the late 70's..Went through deregulation and the whole 9 yards..There hasn't been much I haven't seen..Good luck to ya driver..I try not to have any regrets on what I've accomplished or done in life,but if I had to do it all over again,I would have stayed my butt in college and never climbed in a truck..But, ya never know,I might have been the CEO of AIG and stole all that billions and got away scott free with it...

Well from what I see out on the road, more FED EX AND CCX trucks then ever before, guess stealin Yellow freight and ours I hear is working out good for them.

Not really fe x and con way are given 85% off . nobody can last went your loosen that much money . They think their going to tank YRC . Nobody should fool them selfs, Yellow /Roadway got a hell of a lot more money than anyone knows . YRC is pullen a shot on everyone their employees and most of all their compition . You see what they got con way and fed x doing.

.....lol... good story old school. When I get home I'm going to get an equity line of $80,000 and buy 80,000 shares and sit on it for 2 years. When conway and fedex go broke I'm going to wait til yrcs stock peaks and then retire.

loss

im sure you wont see 150 million or 300 million loss like yrc was showing though. they may only lose a few million for short period of time. they are doing this for 90 days. they would normally show maybe 35 million profit for that time. so even if they lose 37 million compared to last quarter. its only a 2 million loss. nothing they cant handle. now 300 million and 150 million yrc showed for last 2 quarters. big difference.

Yep. They got rid of too many drivers. It's going to cost them more than they are saving.. imop

Yep was in Kc this week and saw that if you did'nt run cause of weather you had to run Sat or Sun, and looking for volunteers to run over the weekend.
But good luck gettin drivers back, heard the guys we lost got jobs and know 2 will never come back, can't really blame them the way us Linehaul guys were treated.

Yep was in Kc this week and saw that if you did'nt run cause of weather you had to run Sat or Sun, and looking for volunteers to run over the weekend.
But good luck gettin drivers back, heard the guys we lost got jobs and know 2 will never come back, can't really blame them the way us Linehaul guys were treated.

Yep, the ex drivers I talk to say, "the only good thing about working here was the money and if you figure all the actual time on the job, that wasn't good either." :shift: