ODFL | Is it OD going on strike?

One has got to wonder how and fly been getting screwed on his new run???? Do you run the whole amount of turns or been getting shafted good with no lube during these tough time
Been running as usual. I have loaded trailers on every segment of the run. The only empties are when I go home sometimes from OLY. We had a rush of trailers past 2 nights. But I agree I pulled into SEA the other night and the yard looked empty. Also watch the empties. I noticed everyone has a lot of empty trailer’s. Hell a month ago they didn’t have any empties

Praying too. We at OD have the best people and the best equipment in the industry, and I am very thankful for that. We sure could use some freight right now! Prayers for all my fellow OD family as we enter into the slow season.
‘Slow’ season won’t last long for you fellers. Christmas is coming, so warm up those 75-foot liftgate trailers to run the neighborhoods.

‘Slow’ season won’t last long for you fellers. Christmas is coming, so warm up those 75-foot liftgate trailers to run the neighborhoods.

Not this year, it’s like company saying no to everyone’s freight

When was this? Been soft all dang year
Same here....volume down, lots of light days. Now we have just ground to a halt all around while FXF and XPO are filling peddle trailers left and right. XPO just hired 5 more and still offering a sign-on bonus.

OD must have stopped pickups for all lanes and days because there is nothing going on at this place either. Wild boards shut down, drivers at home all across the region. I thought it was ups purging the freight but it must be OD. Gots to be another 30 some hour week for me again:

I don't understand the sales side of this business as a line-haul driver, but I've been a little confused about hearing about us not being willing to pick up any of the UPS business this week when here in the Indy Ohio PA area we are dead as well. my understanding is we told those customers we'd only pick up if they sign into contract. That's just confusing to me why would we not want whatever business we could get? what happened to providing good customer service and doing what's right and expecting that customer to sign with us next time because we did what's right? Whoever is pulling the strings these days seems to be getting under everyone's skin with too many bodies, not enough Freight and all of a sudden cracking down on stupid things like locks and tractor assignments and not allowing anyone to leave a little early. Corporate micromanagement babysitting, the only reason they have time for it, is too many bodies down there like we have out in the field.

I don't understand the sales side of this business as a line-haul driver, but I've been a little confused about hearing about us not being willing to pick up any of the UPS business this week when here in the Indy Ohio PA area we are dead as well. my understanding is we told those customers we'd only pick up if they sign into contract. That's just confusing to me why would we not want whatever business we could get? what happened to providing good customer service and doing what's right and expecting that customer to sign with us next time because we did what's right? Whoever is pulling the strings these days seems to be getting under everyone's skin with too many bodies, not enough Freight and all of a sudden cracking down on stupid things like locks and tractor assignments and not allowing anyone to leave a little early. Corporate micromanagement babysitting, the only reason they have time for it, is too many bodies down there like we have out in the field.

Been saying this for a while all these boys that help sink ships at fxf and xpo eventually come here with their bad ideas,,

Well spoken. And that’s the truth.

I'll just say, everything put in place may sometimes provide short term gains with long term consequences. Time will tell.

LTL pricing takes time.
The reason is volume and destinations determine discounts if the volume helps the carrier.

Basically everyone couldnt get the best rate regardless if their freight was garbage... just to get UPSF business before someone else took it.
If they rushed to get it at any cost, other regular freight would miss delivery due dates as there would not enough drivers to move it OR outside cos would be hired at any cost making it unprofitable.

I think customers who used multiple LTL carriers shifted some freight to OD to help offset the recent slow down in most regions.
Cali volume is strong from imports... so probably little UPSF volume could be handled.

BEbmzu6.jpg

I wouldn’t panic just yet, year over year numbers are in-line with where they want to be, with the exception of LTL WPS. Opening new centers and growing the business always creates inefficiency however I remain confident they will make the adjustments where needed. Our man at the top has been near the top for many years, this isn’t the first Valley he has helped navigate.

LTL pricing takes time.
The reason is volume and destinations determine discounts if the volume helps the carrier.

Basically everyone couldnt get the best rate regardless if their freight was garbage... just to get UPSF business before someone else took it.
If they rushed to get it at any cost, other regular freight would miss delivery due dates as there would not enough drivers to move it OR outside cos would be hired at any cost making it unprofitable.

I think customers who used multiple LTL carriers shifted some freight to OD to help offset the recent slow down in most regions.
Cali volume is strong from imports... so probably little UPSF volume could be handled.

I really don't think this hit on the issue. I mean city guys were being specifically told "do not pick up upsf" when city guys asked exactly how to know if there was upsf included in a pickup they were told "you'll know." I mean this isn't a pricing war thing. This is OD with our noses in the air. Freight would not miss delivery windows or sit, we have beyond enough man power and equipment right now. I called into work extra this morning on a Sunday and was told we don't have anything. So we have plenty of network capacity to take on customers paying full price. But maybe logic just isn't logic, or something like that. Is what it, not trying to be confrontational just elaborating on my viewpiont.

I really don't think this hit on the issue. I mean city guys were being specifically told "do not pick up upsf" when city guys asked exactly how to know if there was upsf included in a pickup they were told "you'll know." I mean this isn't a pricing war thing. This is OD with our noses in the air. Freight would not miss delivery windows or sit, we have beyond enough man power and equipment right now. I called into work extra this morning on a Sunday and was told we don't have anything. So we have plenty of network capacity to take on customers paying full price. But maybe logic just isn't logic, or something like that. Is what it, not trying to be confrontational just elaborating on my viewpiont.
Agreed
Slow at FXF but they were telling drivers not to take UPSF shipments either.
Doesnt make sense from a driver or dock worker perspective.
Maybe both cos did not want transactional additions. Maybe only enterprise customers using multiple carriers with existing pricing in place were accomodated so there was no asking drivers making it obvious.

Volume had to have went somewhere including brokers who regularly hire OD, 10% extra probably not greatly noticable esp going into slow season.

I can’t tell you how many days in the last couple of months I have came to work and the damn salesmen’s cars parked at the terminal. As slow as freight is, get your ass on the street and away from the damn office and go get some business. Last I checked we have too many people and not enough freight. Pisses me off to no end.

I can’t tell you how many days in the last couple of months I have came to work and the damn salesmen’s cars parked at the terminal. As slow as freight is, get your ass on the street and away from the damn office and go get some business. Last I checked we have too many people and not enough freight. Pisses me off to no end.
I think the nationals dont care much for transactional street business.
They all want enterprise business that is bid on every 1-3 years and takes weeks to price and analyze impact on network flows.

Good thing about that is consistency.
If pricing and customers changed frequently then drivers bids would change frequently.

There's a reason we're drivers and not upper management. This company thrived before us and will long after we're gone. I love reading the comments from drivers that more than likely couldn't do a recap in a paper log book but can run a trucking company.

There's a reason we're drivers and not upper management. This company thrived before us and will long after we're gone. I love reading the comments from drivers that more than likely couldn't do a recap in a paper log book but can run a trucking company.

Hope you are not planning on running for election, any time soon,...... you just blew it!