ODFL | IS OD a good career choice?????

As for the question that individual asked about how did they rehire employees after the lay off,i too would like to know how its done. I was an owner operator during that 08-09 period. I came on board right after that. So hopefully the rude MOD wont bite my head off since i am an OD employee. Cheers

The " rude" mod can't tell you much about that since I retired from OD in 2006.But as these active drivers get up or come in today they'll know for sure.

Im not an OD mod,however as a mod,I can say when a newbie enters a forum I look at past post to look for intent.This is not my forum so I am not gonna speculate but this post from Crystal,in the ABF forum, would have definitely caught my eye,and the fact most of his/her post are union related.
====================================================================================================================================
Really, I don't know who you work for so I'll assume that we are still talking about OD. When did things change at OD with the bottom feeding for cheap freight? I never worked for them so I am just speculating here. Kind of like your IHop comment. But it was common knowledge, North of the Mason Dixon line, that they were a bottom feeder who paid low wages and could only get freight by lowballing rates.

Since you brought up stability and and gearing up for increased business how does OD adjust for the manpower? Do they rehire those economiclly terminated drivers? I have mentioned economic terminations twice in this thread and no one has commented on it so I'll ask about it. Wasn't OD, one of if not, the first LTL company that used the term economic terminations to fire it's workers instead of laying them off and paying unemployment benefits?

Isn't economic termination when a company fires it's drivers to adjust monthly operating figures? Isn't economic termination usually done by firing the higher paid drivers with more company seniority? And when OD needs more drivers don't they often hire those same drivers back but as new employees? Don't they get rehired at the entry level rate of pay and benefits and at the loss of seniority? Does OD even recognize seniority?

And I am still just looking for an answer. I never mentioned unions in my question and I was not trolling. I didn't badmouth anyone on the OD forum. I still haven't found out how the rehired OD employees are classified. When I saw this interesting thread and read the post by DayliteDean I thought that it was a good opportunity to finally get an answer to my questions.

RIFs are common in business but not, to my knowledge, in the trucking industry. Now if economic terminations are considered to be RIFs then I think I have my answers. If I were considering to apply at OD as a career move then I would certainly want to know how they terminate employees.

Unless someone chooses to make anything more of this than just my asking questions then I am finished posting on the OD forum. I hope I don't have anymore dealings with it's MOD

I also remember Crystal posting about the same ? that was on the other forum&kinda funny that she has involved herself into the same comment that was brought up before.So I would say she is here to:stirthepot:O'h wait her ? has never got answer'd.

Last edited by a moderator:
OD is the best job Ive ever had and I worked for another LTL company before and thought that couldn't be topped but I was wrong.

I know how they are classified they are happy they got there job back. If you want specifics you should call hr I am sure they are willing to answer your question.

WOW!did I start something?sorry I havent checked in for a couple of days,all the drivers I know that were let go came back to the fold when business improved,including one or two that are regular posters(kinda hoped they'd posted)and yes they kept seniority,hope this clears things up...

And I am still just looking for an answer. I never mentioned unions in my question and I was not trolling. I didn't badmouth anyone on the OD forum. I still haven't found out how the rehired OD employees are classified. When I saw this interesting thread and read the post by DayliteDean I thought that it was a good opportunity to finally get an answer to my questions.

RIFs are common in business but not, to my knowledge, in the trucking industry. Now if economic terminations are considered to be RIFs then I think I have my answers. If I were considering to apply at OD as a career move then I would certainly want to know how they terminate employees.

Unless someone chooses to make anything more of this than just my asking questions then I am finished posting on the OD forum. I hope I don't have anymore dealings with it's MOD

First off most of us thats been a part of TB see where your going with your questions.
Second calling out a mod in public will get ya booted.

What are you getting at ? I see your going to throw a pity party about the MOD (that don't fly here)
But what would be the intent of your questions ? As you go on we can see threw past experience that all your questions are gonna end up in the same place.

You didn't do anything wrong. According to forum rules, you may post on other company forums just as long as you don't attack the company.

The Mod was wrong to say what he said.

You are completely on my nerves. You know better than to call out a mod.
I'm so damn sick of all your crying. Also stating the rules the intent of said questions can be taken as trolling.

passive-aggressive[ pas-iv-uh-gres-iv ]
adjective
1. denoting or pertaining to a personality type or behavior marked by the expression of negative emotions in passive, indirect ways, as through manipulation or noncooperation: a passive-aggressive employee who often misses deadlines.

Why don't you let us run TB Stoney. Don't like it leave

Well, I was a rehire after 09 slow down. 4 months off. Basically it was lowest seniority at location. Wild/Extra drivers. Not by company or region. Majority was at outer locations. Most hubs not effected, except for change of run assignments. Had been with OD 3 years at layoff. Next senior driver not layed off had 5+ years. When brought back had to go through full rehire procedure. Was known that would operate out of a hub location. Offered and accepted a hub location, yet right away offered position at numerous locations ounce word got out that I was back. Not a bitcher or moaner, Was given seniority back, yet as all transfers, was placed at bottom at new location. Didn't matter since I stayed wild/systems driver. Scheduled run was not my thing. Got top pay and insurance from day 1, had to start over on vacation/personal days from Date of rehire. After 2 years was asked to transfer to my location now, original layoff location. I run a schedule now. Been driving 27 years, 3.5 million accident free. Pulled about every form of trailer. Been independent, union (ABF), and O/O. Best job I have ever had. I do my job, don't get hassled. Every driver would like a few changes, yet get treated better here, than I could treat myself when I operated my own. See how the company treats a long term ill driver or a family emergency. Ownership does care about the individual in a crisis.

You are completely on my nerves. You know better than to call out a mod.
I'm so damn sick of all your crying. Also stating the rules the intent of said questions can be taken as trolling.

passive-aggressive[ pas-iv-uh-gres-iv ]
adjective
1. denoting or pertaining to a personality type or behavior marked by the expression of negative emotions in passive, indirect ways, as through manipulation or noncooperation: a passive-aggressive employee who often misses deadlines.

Why don't you let us run TB Stoney. Don't like it leave

Cry me a river.......

After 6 1/2 yrs. I feel extremely fortunate to be employed here. Like any job, there are things you'd like to see change, things you wish were done a bit differently etc...But, I make an above average living, I'm left alone to do my job, and as long as that is done in the proper fashion, I have very little to worry about. In todays world, the aforementioned things count for a lot, and I know for a fact that we put up with a great deal less nonsense than those employed at some of the other LTL's.

You do everyday ,someone picks on you. You can run your mouth but can't take it.
Don't you have a few hundred other things to go cry about ?

Before you open your mouth, know the whole story Nancy. Now put me in ignore princess.

Before you open your mouth, know the whole story Nancy. Now put me in ignore princess.

Stupid (go ahead and report it crybaby I called ya a name) if you want to get a "who's got the bigger wiener" contest I can bet ya I will win.
My job is to open my mouth.

Stupid (go ahead and report it crybaby I called ya a name) if you want to get a "who's got the bigger wiener" contest I can bet ya I will win.
My job is to open my mouth.

Nothing to report Nancy. Your allowed to be a pinhead. And I'll concede the wiener trophy to you. You are the bigger wiener.

Take it to p/m.....no way does this conversation have anything to do with OD or it's employees so take it somewhere else.