ODFL | IS OD a good career choice?????

Depend's on term you work out of.But,speaking from me a long time.The better run's are at night&more mile's not having to deal with traffic..Welcome to the real world of trucking.Daytime,Nighttime it's all the same around here.Good Luck..
Could anyone tell me how long it might take to get a linehaul run that has you home at night?

Took me 28 years...

Gadzooks! I know folks at our outfit that still run wild after 30+ years and some barns have "green horn" drivers running little banker hour, solar powered schedules just because of the terminal they run out of. I've turned down big money daytime runs just because of the direction they go or how early they start. My little 7 hour daylight run cost me about as much to go to work as I make when you add the gas, waffle house, fuel stop lunch and the Mexican restaurant on my way home but I love it. lol.

That was'nt all with OD,I worked for several other LTL's before working here,it actually took only 4 years at OD before I scored a day run.Our seniority transfered from WSKT after OD bought them out so it took really about 18 years.

Location is biggest deal on run schedules. The more relays, the better the odds of running days. I like my nights because of lifestyle. Remember, most freight moves at night to meet customer demands. It's a give and take, determining on location. We have 5 runs out of our barn. 3 at night to take outbound, feed relays or other terminals, and return with inbound. 2 relay runs that feed into where Daylight does (I or another of our barn's drivers usually feed relays into Daylight's terminal) . Due to major terminal within 51 miiles, sometimes when volume is slow, freight gets diverted into larger terminal for their drivers, and our relayers get cut. So it can be a give and take. Our Tues through Sat 07:30 getting it in shorts this week. Canceled Tues (Freight), Wed/Thur/Maybe today due to weather. Believe him and our other relayer will try to run on one of their off days to make up. 3 night runners lost 1 night due to weather.

That's right. Location, location, location. Some transferred out of our barn and now they are beating the doors down trying to come back.

well depends on terminal size. I worked at saia went right into a scheduled run at od. Not bad huh and it is the best paying run so its about size and luck

Seems alot like the Big E, if you are Linehaul watch out when it gets slow cause they will let you go, even though you may have been here 5 more years then the newest Hub, or Utility Driver, you go first because you are a Steering wheel holder and can do nothing else I spose in Richmond, Va eyes.

I got 2 friends that work out of the Indy terminal and they love it. I think since Old D is growing at a rapid pace probably be a good choice to get in now. They work linehaul and have good bid runs and only been their for 3 years.

well depends on terminal size. I worked at saia went right into a scheduled run at od. Not bad huh and it is the best paying run so its about size and luck

Saia was going to put me straight into a schedule (daytime) years ago when I decided to sell my rooster cruiser. It was a short run nobody else wanted (400 mi) but it was an option. Looking back now, it's crazy how easy it was to find an ltl job not long ago. I had nearly every ltl company calling me. Every one I applied at anyhow.