ABF | Job Fair At The Rock!!

Steward of the Rock

TB Veteran
Credits
Well, the powers that be have decided to have a Job Fair here at the Rock this Wednesday and Thursday. They are offering a $5000 sign on bonus for qualified (CDL and all required Endorsements) city/dock/road employees, Diesel Mechanics and a $500 sign on bonus for Dock Casuals. As usual, this proves they don’t give a rats ass about the employees they currently have or even care to try to retain them. Instead of upping the pay for the experience they have, they would rather throw money at someone they don’t even know. These Rocket Scientists that run this company really know how to get the most out of their employees with genius moves like this. Not to mention causing friction between current employees and new hires. The vaccine mandate (January 4th) should really help boost the morale even more. Who knows what this company will look like a year from now. One thing is for sure. They would rather have new, inexperienced employees as opposed to their current, experienced ones. If I sound a little disgruntled about this, IT IS BECAUSE I AM!!!

Well, the powers that be have decided to have a Job Fair here at the Rock this Wednesday and Thursday. They are offering a $5000 sign on bonus for qualified (CDL and all required Endorsements) city/dock/road employees, Diesel Mechanics and a $500 sign on bonus for Dock Casuals. As usual, this proves they don’t give a rats ass about the employees they currently have or even care to try to retain them. Instead of upping the pay for the experience they have, they would rather throw money at someone they don’t even know. These Rocket Scientists that run this company really know how to get the most out of their employees with genius moves like this. Not to mention causing friction between current employees and new hires. The vaccine mandate (January 4th) should really help boost the morale even more. Who knows what this company will look like a year from now. One thing is for sure. They would rather have new, inexperienced employees as opposed to their current, experienced ones. If I sound a little disgruntled about this, IT IS BECAUSE I AM!!!
My wife showed me this on Facebook last week....I said no way I'm going to the Rock again!!!

5000 to sign on? Eh, we used to get that years ago with OTR trucking in reefer H/W teams. And only now they are just discovering that?

I rather them hand the 5000 to every soul on the employee list within ABF Little Rock working there on that property today. Not the new hires. 500 is not enough to put up with the politics physical demands of dock work and so on. I could go to Sysco and make that unloading 5 trucks a day on University for example cash. If I still possessed the body to do so.

Knowledge and experience in my head should count for something, but not for that kind of hiring that they are trying to do. Not without a equal payout as suggested to everyone there already.

Its my experience that trucking companies of all kinds contains costs, they cannot stand to spend a dollar anywhere to improve or make internal situation better. But they will dangle 5000 dollars to anyone and everyone who has learned by now to stay the **** away from such a disaster apparently.

I can't help but believe management having these job fairs, offering bonuses, and beginning people to work for them is going to force them into giving us a much deserved raise and benefits package in 2023. I know we are getting stepped on by management now but later we should expect/deserve to get an exceptionally stellar contract that rivals the Jimmy Hoffa senior days.

I can't help but believe management having these job fairs, offering bonuses, and beginning people to work for them is going to force them into giving us a much deserved raise and benefits package in 2023. I know we are getting stepped on by management now but later we should expect/deserve to get an exceptionally stellar contract that rivals the Jimmy Hoffa senior days.
I am thinking the same thing brother. It still does not take away the sting of the company paying extra at this moment for new blood without taking care of their current employees first. But that being said, I totally agree with you that this next contract should favor the employees for a change.

I am thinking the same thing brother. It still does not take away the sting of the company paying extra at this moment for new blood without taking care of their current employees first. But that being said, I totally agree with you that this next contract should favor the employees for a change.
Shhh...don't let Razorblade hear this kind of talk... :argue::hide::fan::kickedoutsmile::mf swordfight:

Actually maybe the head hunters should hear that kind of discontent.

As long as Drivahs dont hold Management accountable as Management kicks Drivahs around there is no point in trying to play a equal game, all for one one for all, we are a happy family and all that worn out tired rah rah crap.

Been with Reddaway coming up on a year. Went through their cdl school. Any chance I’d be able to get hired by ABF? I know it’s usually 2 yrs exp needed but wondering if it’s possible with the LTL experience. Looking in advance in case these terminal mergers that are coming up at Yellow/YRC/Reddaway end with me getting cut being the low man on the totem pole. Want to stay union but preferably with a better run company if it comes to it.

Been with Reddaway coming up on a year. Went through their cdl school. Any chance I’d be able to get hired by ABF? I know it’s usually 2 yrs exp needed but wondering if it’s possible with the LTL experience. Looking in advance in case these terminal mergers that are coming up at Yellow/YRC/Reddaway end with me getting cut being the low man on the totem pole. Want to stay union but preferably with a better run company if it comes to it.
Possibly....I would call the terminal you are
interested in and talk to the TM...Good Luck...

So what was the result of this SOR? Inquiring minds (nosey) want to know.

So what was the result of this SOR? Inquiring minds (nosey) want to know.
We ended up with a grand total of TWO new full time employees CDL qualified, and a maybe 6 or 7 new casuals so far from the job fair for the City/Dock side. I think the shop ended up with one or two new mechanics (last I heard), and I have not heard about the road side. There may be more after the first of year, but so far, that is it. Believe it or not, they are already talking about having another Job Fair after the first of the year. BRG, I will give you more details when I find out so you and Big Dave can have the Pop Corn stand all ready to go. I am sure Smoke will show up as well if there is a Hot Dog stand. Bertha and Puddin’ are talking about having a Kissing Booth also. Just don’t kiss either one of them with food on your breath or your life could be in danger.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

We ended up with a grand total of TWO new full time employees CDL qualified, and a maybe 6 or 7 new casuals so far from the job fair for the City/Dock side. I think the shop ended up with one or two new mechanics (last I heard), and I have not heard about the road side. There may be more after the first of year, but so far, that is it. Believe it or not, they are already talking about having another Job Fair after the first of the year. BRG, I will give you more details when I find out so you and Big Dave can have the Pop Corn stand all ready to go. I am sure Smoke will show up as well if there is a Hot Dog stand. Bertha and Puddin’ are talking about having a Kissing Booth also. Just don’t kiss either one of them with food on your breath or your life could be in danger.
:lmao::lmao::lmao:
What about a dunk tank, with Bertha sitting on the plank? Or would she break it?