Yellow | Kentucky Teamsters Take On Right-To-Work

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
http://www.tdu.org/kentucky_teamsters_take_on_right_to_work

MmMavS5.jpg

:6792::452::usa:

I hope at some point people start to realize when you vote for republicans, the number one thing on their agenda is always union busting. The new republican legislature's agenda is anti worker, first RTW, then pension reform/ cuts for state workers, of course with the exception of the legislators themselves.

I hope at some point people start to realize when you vote for republicans, the number one thing on their agenda is always union busting. The new republican legislature's agenda is anti worker, first RTW, then pension reform/ cuts for state workers, of course with the exception of the legislators themselves.

Record 95,102,000 Americans Not in Labor Force; Number Grew 18% Since Obama Took Office in 2009

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-labor-force-number-grew-18-obama-took-office

Maybe because republicans have gained control over many state legislatures and governors mansions while Obama has been in office? Ya think? Can't really recall a Democratic governor and Democratic legislature pushing RTW.

Is this an example how the Democrats are for American workers?

New Obama Action Could Increase Permanent Work Permits to Foreign Workers Above Congressionally-Approved Levels
https://www.numbersusa.com/news/pre...on-give-temporary-foreign-workers-green-cards

It is an understatement to say that Trump is against the H1B visa. He positively loathes it, and has withering criticism for Marco Rubio, whom he considers a lackey to Silicon Valley and Mark Zuckerberg in particular, calling him the Facebook founder's "personal senator".
http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/h1b-visas-and-us-presidential-candidates-a-primer/

Is this an example how the Democrats are for American workers?

New Obama Action Could Increase Permanent Work Permits to Foreign Workers Above Congressionally-Approved Levels
https://www.numbersusa.com/news/pre...on-give-temporary-foreign-workers-green-cards

It is an understatement to say that Trump is against the H1B visa. He positively loathes it, and has withering criticism for Marco Rubio, whom he considers a lackey to Silicon Valley and Mark Zuckerberg in particular, calling him the Facebook founder's "personal senator".
http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/h1b-visas-and-us-presidential-candidates-a-primer/
Both parties are about the same.just depends on the degree of poison you choose

Typical idiot more worried about your beloved Union than your country. It's that attitude that's not only destroying your union but my country as well.

Typical idiot more worried about your beloved Union than your country. It's that attitude that's not only destroying your union but my country as well.
So being pro union is destroying our country? And I guess unions are killing our country as well? Not sure if you noticed, but wages have fallen directly in line with unions membership. But I guess you can't be both pro union and love your country.

Last edited:
No, no they are not about the same. There is not one instance of a democratic administration pushing for RTW.

Right to work would be a pointless law if unions were more appealing to the workers involved. The fact that so many workers don't want to join a union speaks volumes about the reputations of those very unions. Let's be perfectly honest here for a moment. Our own Teamsters Union has had a bad reputation for decades - corruption, favoritism, mob influence, etc., etc. There is no reason why workers wouldn't want to join an honest, straightforward union of any type if that is what's available. Sadly, that is not always the case as we all know.

Sure there's corruption in every institution that's been around for decades. Doesn't change the fact that republicans have a very anti worker agenda. Always have, always will. State after state that go republican, first order of business is RTW, usually followed by tax cuts that disproportionally benefit the wealthy, which usually blows a hole in the state budget creating a crisis that can only be solved by cutting pensions and benefits for state employees. To their credit, they run this play over and over and the people never figure it out.

Sure there's corruption in every institution that's been around for decades. Doesn't change the fact that republicans have a very anti worker agenda. Always have, always will. State after state that go republican, first order of business is RTW, usually followed by tax cuts that disproportionally benefit the wealthy, which usually blows a hole in the state budget creating a crisis that can only be solved by cutting pensions and benefits for state employees. To their credit, they run this play over and over and the people never figure it out.

I think you have it backwards. Public employee unions and the spineless politicians who those unions support have practically bankrupted the government entities because of the lavish pay and perks they have provided to those employees in order to gain favor and get their support to be re-elected - a vicious cycle to be sure. Then they just raise taxes to support those deals which hurts the middle class of those areas.

As far as RTW, as I said earlier it would be a meaningless law if union membership was desirable. Unions in general have a product to offer. That product is obviously union representation - negotiating for pay and benefits and providing protection for the workers. Ask yourself why unions are having such a hard time getting workers to join. There must be something wrong with the product if it doesn't sell, it's really that simple.

I think you have it backwards. Public employee unions and the spineless politicians who those unions support have practically bankrupted the government entities because of the lavish pay and perks they have provided to those employees in order to gain favor and get their support to be re-elected - a vicious cycle to be sure. Then they just raise taxes to support those deals which hurts the middle class of those areas.<snip>

HHB, here's an example of exactly what I'm talking about: Check out Dallas police and fire situation...

http://www.wfaa.com/news/dallas-police-and-fire-pension-members-may-have-to-pay-back-funds/382652927

Current leaders of the pension fund acknowledged during last week's meeting that they aren't in a great bargaining position after police and firefighters rejected a series of changes to try to rescue the failing fund last month. That plan would have fixed about 50 percent of the problem.

If nothing is done, the fund would run out of money in about a decade.

DROP, which was created in the early 1990's, allowed police and firefighters to retire while still on the job. Their monthly pension checks then were deposited into DROP accounts, which were guaranteed an eight to 10 percent interest.

The pension continued to pay those high interest amounts in the bad years even when the fund lost hundreds of millions of dollars.

"It was an unsustainable feature," Gonzalez says. "What they turned it into was an investment strategy and guaranteed themselves a return that is unheard of."

Right to work would be a pointless law if unions were more appealing to the workers involved. The fact that so many workers don't want to join a union speaks volumes about the reputations of those very unions. Let's be perfectly honest here for a moment. Our own Teamsters Union has had a bad reputation for decades - corruption, favoritism, mob influence, etc., etc. There is no reason why workers wouldn't want to join an honest, straightforward union of any type if that is what's available. Sadly, that is not always the case as we all know.

Las Vegas is a good example. Rtw state, strong unions however, because the union has to make their product worth buying.

Las Vegas is a good example. Rtw state, strong unions however, because the union has to make their product worth buying.
Buying is the key word here. Corporate America has infinitely more money to "buy" or fund propaganda programs designed to weaken unions and they have done a great job doing so. Are many of the unions leaders flawed? Absolutely. Could they do a better job selling their product? Sure. But remember, we're talking David versus Goliath here. We're still looking for the right rock in this battle.

I think you have it backwards. Public employee unions and the spineless politicians who those unions support have practically bankrupted the government entities because of the lavish pay and perks they have provided to those employees in order to gain favor and get their support to be re-elected - a vicious cycle to be sure. Then they just raise taxes to support those deals which hurts the middle class of those areas.

As far as RTW, as I said earlier it would be a meaningless law if union membership was desirable. Unions in general have a product to offer. That product is obviously union representation - negotiating for pay and benefits and providing protection for the workers. Ask yourself why unions are having such a hard time getting workers to join. There must be something wrong with the product if it doesn't sell, it's really that simple.
It's tough to "sell"your product when hundreds of millions are spent falsely claiming your product is toxic. So, no something doesn't really have to be wrong with your product. It's really that simple. When the other side is willing to resort to Orwellian propaganda like right to work.

Buying is the key word here. Corporate America has infinitely more money to "buy" or fund propaganda programs designed to weaken unions and they have done a great job doing so. Are many of the unions leaders flawed? Absolutely. Could they do a better job selling their product? Sure. But remember, we're talking David versus Goliath here. We're still looking for the right rock in this battle.

It's tough to "sell"your product when hundreds of millions are spent falsely claiming your product is toxic. So, no something doesn't really have to be wrong with your product. It's really that simple. When the other side is willing to resort to Orwellian propaganda like right to work.

Oh come on, this isn't the 1930's when most workers didn't even finish grammar school. It's 2017 and we're better educated, smarter, and have access to many more sources of information. The simple truth is that unions in many cases have failed to offer an honest, viable reason for workers to join. Too many unions have become self-serving organizations which have forgotten what their real purpose was. When you read so many articles about union officials being charged with corruption that's not a "false" claim, it's reality. As far as corporations having more money to spend, how did that work out for Hillary? It's not the amount of money it's the content of the message.

I see both sides here and you both have excellent points. But one thing I don't agree with is I highly doubt the corporations wanted Hillary. I think they would want the billionaire.