Yellow | Kentucky Teamsters Take On Right-To-Work

I see both sides here and you both have excellent points. But one thing I don't agree with is I highly doubt the corporations wanted Hillary. I think they would want the billionaire.

That's not the story they are putting forward, but that's not what we are talking about here.

Everyone was supposedly in love with the idea of continuations of bo's policies.

Oh come on, this isn't the 1930's when most workers didn't even finish grammar school. It's 2017 and we're better educated, smarter, and have access to many more sources of information. The simple truth is that unions in many cases have failed to offer an honest, viable reason for workers to join. Too many unions have become self-serving organizations which have forgotten what their real purpose was. When you read so many articles about union officials being charged with corruption that's not a "false" claim, it's reality. As far as corporations having more money to spend, how did that work out for Hillary? It's not the amount of money it's the content of the message.
I think there is a lot more to the picture on the unions failure to organize then you're picking up on. These companies have all the power on their side. I started at a non union ltl carrier, and you could be fired for just saying the word union. It was like saying bomb on a plane. You just better not do it. 95% of the guys I worked with would've loved having a union, but were to scared to vote for one, because like most Americans they could not afford to miss one day let alone one check. Long story short, cards were signed, owner explicitly told all of us prior to the vote he would shut it down, drivers voted no. I think he got fined like $2500 for the illegal threats, payed that with change out of his couch. End of the union drive.

I think there is a lot more to the picture on the unions failure to organize then you're picking up on. These companies have all the power on their side. I started at a non union ltl carrier, and you could be fired for just saying the word union. It was like saying bomb on a plane. You just better not do it. 95% of the guys I worked with would've loved having a union, but were to scared to vote for one, because like most Americans they could not afford to miss one day let alone one check. Long story short, cards were signed, owner explicitly told all of us prior to the vote he would shut it down, drivers voted no. I think he got fined like $2500 for the illegal threats, payed that with change out of his couch. End of the union drive.

The Democrats had the House, Senate, and Whitehouse for two years when Obama took office, but somehow failed to pass the employee free choice act.

For those not familiar, no more Union elections. Signing cards was your yes vote. Once enough cards were signed you had your Union. It was card check elections. It also had language guaranteeing a first contract for newly formed Union shops. It was an epic failure not pushing that bill. The Whitehouse refused to push it over Healthcare reform.

Last edited:
I hope at some point people start to realize when you vote for republicans, the number one thing on their agenda is always union busting. The new republican legislature's agenda is anti worker, first RTW, then pension reform/ cuts for state workers, of course with the exception of the legislators themselves.
could you tell us how many states run by democrats have passed CARD CHECK?

could you tell us how many states run by democrats have passed CARD CHECK?
Yeah I understand what you're saying- the democrates have not pushed hard enough for union friendly legislation, and that is a big part of why the party is in such a weak position. But, make no mistake, pushing for card check, and pushing RTW is worlds apart. The democrats have hurt the unions through apathy, but the republicans have actively tried to destroy unions and have had a lot of success doing so.

Yeah I understand what you're saying- the democrates have not pushed hard enough for union friendly legislation, and that is a big part of why the party is in such a weak position. But, make no mistake, pushing for card check, and pushing RTW is worlds apart. The democrats have hurt the unions through apathy, but the republicans have actively tried to destroy unions and have had a lot of success doing so.

Question for you, seriously. Why should the Democrats or any party for that matter push for "union friendly" legislation at all? Shouldn't government be neutral in union/business matters?

Question for you, seriously. Why should the Democrats or any party for that matter push for "union friendly" legislation at all? Shouldn't government be neutral in union/business matters?
Government should be active in maintaining a balance in the workforce. This country has lost that balance over the last 35 years in my opinion, and the result you are seeing today is the income inequality that is hurting our economy. In my opinion card check is probably going to far, but the pendulum has swung way too far in business favor. It would be very healthy for this country and our economy, to have much higher union membership closer to 20% of the workforce. This isn't rocket science, everyone wants an economy like we had after ww2. Increased union membership is probably the easiest way to get there.