Yellow | KERNERSVILLE NC-- YRC Tractor-Trailer Hit By Train, Driver didnt hear Train

I bet that his "I didn't hear it coming" argument would have never been questioned if he was one of the P&D drivers here at 511. We get told every day, NO CELL PHONES, NO EAR PHONES and NO HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH. But our "SAFETY GUY" wears one of the biggest OVER-THE-HEAD sets I think I have ever seen. UGH!!!

kernersville had the #2 guy leave with a set going south and when he got there only had his lead ..not sure if the ever found that 2nd trailer . why would i be surprized they didnt see the coocoo

Looks like one of those high speed trains, must have just come out of nowhere.

Not all RR crossings require a horn blast. I think that only if a crossings are on public right of ways (streets, etc) do require it. Since this was on private property ( according to the picture ), a blast might not have been required.

Not all RR crossings require a horn blast. I think that only if a crossings are on public right of ways (streets, etc) do require it. Since this was on private property ( according to the picture ), a blast might not have been required.

FRA and RR rules do allow skipping horn blowing at certain crossings but DOT rules govern the drivers actions in any case. Do not start to cross unless you can safely make it completely across and no gear shifting while crossing to name a couple. Locomotives also have headlights and "ditch lights" (lower lever alternating white lights) on even in daylight. Hard to believe the train wasn't visible in any event.

Some drivers miss signs on low bridges and some miss approaching trains, go figure. :smile:

FRA and RR rules do allow skipping horn blowing at certain crossings but DOT rules govern the drivers actions in any case. Do not start to cross unless you can safely make it completely across and no gear shifting while crossing to name a couple. Locomotives also have headlights and "ditch lights" (lower lever alternating white lights) on even in daylight. Hard to believe the train wasn't visible in any event.

Some drivers miss signs on low bridges and some miss approaching trains, go figure. :smile:
And some are even missing a few marbles.

The train may have been in reverse, to back up and drop a couple cars off at a business. The story is incomplete, as always.

The train may have been in reverse, to back up and drop a couple cars off at a business. The story is incomplete, as always.

Trains don't operate over road crossings without signaling (horn) or having a crew member flag the crossing. Even if what you say is true, every driver has the legal obligation at an unprotected (unsignaled) crossing to stop, look, and listen. Didn't we all learn that when we first got our driver's licenses?