Yellow | KERNERSVILLE NC-- YRC Tractor-Trailer Hit By Train, Driver didnt hear Train

Trains don't operate over road crossings without signaling (horn) or having a crew member flag the crossing. Even if what you say is true, every driver has the legal obligation at an unprotected (unsignaled) crossing to stop, look, and listen. Didn't we all learn that when we first got our driver's licenses?
Around here they sit a cone out, and back up.
Btw, I'm not defending the guy for being hit by a train..just saying the article isn't real clear about what happened

Around here they sit a cone out, and back up.
Btw, I'm not defending the guy for being hit by a train..just saying the article isn't real clear about what happened

By the same token, I'm not trying to crucify the guy, but if you do a Google Map view of the area and also a Street View you can see that there are no switching spurs on that RR line. Here's a couple of shots of the crossing where you can clearly see the stop signs attached to both sides of the crossing. From the news photos and the tractor damage you can deduce that he was leaving the industrial area and the train was headed from left to right in the photo. Also, there are pretty clear views of the track in both directions at the crossing. I most certainly can be wrong, I think I can pretty well figure out what happened. :smile:

By the same token, I'm not trying to crucify the guy, but if you do a Google Map view of the area and also a Street View you can see that there are no switching spurs on that RR line. Here's a couple of shots of the crossing where you can clearly see the stop signs attached to both sides of the crossing. From the news photos and the tractor damage you can deduce that he was leaving the industrial area and the train was headed from left to right in the photo. Also, there are pretty clear views of the track in both directions at the crossing. I most certainly can be wrong, I think I can pretty well figure out what happened. :smile:

Look at the oil, I believe he was coming in, not out..no oil on the road.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got hung up on that hump with that tandem, and wasn't fast enough to flip the divider in.

(The pics in the link, not the google pics..lol)

Look at the oil, I believe he was coming in, not out..no oil on the road.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got hung up on that hump with that tandem, and wasn't fast enough to flip the divider in.

(The pics in the link, not the google pics..lol)

You could very well be right. I read that the train crew split the train at the crossing so traffic could cross, so what shows in the photo may not be the end of the train. I guess we'll have to wait for the driver to post here on TB and tell us what really happened. :biglaugh:

Need to go through all the DVIR's so we can tell which damage was from the train too..lol. I bet that mirror was already missing the back, for example