FedEx Freight | "L" for linehaul

train

TB Lurker
Credits
This summer my automatic tranny gave up the ghost three times, twice when I was closest to OMA. The first time at the peak of the summer heat wave Oma said all they had for a spare truck was a city truck, a very old city truck knee deep in trash. I had the biggest part of 300 miles to drive back to our yard and then I would of had to drive it back that 300 miles. I truly felt that I was close to heat stroke twice, In fact I had to stop twice in the first hundred miles to cool off. I did stop at the next center and trade it for a road unit. Central said ok if I really felt it was necessary, this next time they volunteered the via into center for a trade. I did not do this because the last time someone else had to drive the L unit back to OMA center. I kow I'm not the first driver that they have done this to and I'm wondering if other centers do this also. I also realize that centers do not have brand new trucks sitting around just in case I break down. Our CCM says he believes what good for a city drivers is good for the road. I guess that is why they drive as many miles in the city as the road and the pay is so equal. I wonder how he'd feel if they gave him a old metal folding chair to sit in all day. Our old Ark Frt city trucks are the last truck to go out, if they do, I guarantee you. I always wondered why they would send out what could be considered the "first responders" to a customer fire in a truck that has no A/C in the first place. If they spent as much time in that truck as I would they would be, sweaty and probably not in a pleasent mood. And we all know that some of these shippers/ receivers are not always to easy to deal with in the first place. Anyways!

" DIVERSITY " just another way write off for Hrrison too spend "OUR" money that WE earn for the company. THEY DON'T CARE ANY MORE it's all about number's PEROD......:1036316054: :duh:

diversity what a joke,,,,,,, fedex dont care about there worker"s all they care about is making a dollar,the only company i ever worked for that i can say cared about there employee"s was american freightways now there was a company that you did not mind busting your butt for. as small as the company was we paid know insurance and we were appreciated as employee"s as soon as fedex took over they hit us with paying for insurance,giving out these chump raise"s and on and on,the next thing we will hear is about the higher up getting these big bonus checks for a job well done what have they done we are the one"s behind all the labor.

diversity what a joke,,,,,,, fedex dont care about there worker"s all they care about is making a dollar,the only company i ever worked for that i can say cared about there employee"s was american freightways now there was a company that you did not mind busting your butt for. as small as the company was we paid know insurance and we were appreciated as employee"s as soon as fedex took over they hit us with paying for insurance,giving out these chump raise"s and on and on,the next thing we will hear is about the higher up getting these big bonus checks for a job well done what have they done we are the one"s behind all the labor.

you cant say all supervisors treat us like a number there still are some good ones left

AMEN!!! I miss AF and MR.G so much.

get real train

train let me ask you an important question! were you getting paid to drive that L unit back home? just like i thought you were!!!! nuff said!!!! guesss you don't remember the good ole days yep a/c has not been a basic necessity in a frieght truck for many years! we should consider ourselves lucky to have the equipment we have. look around at some of the other carriers fine equipment. pretty aint it. wow 1 time out of your 550 trips per year you had to rough it!!! oops hang on i feel a tear coming on!!!! get real driver and relax its fed ex

when i first started here at fx i drove the oldest intertrashinal on the lot no air and it was a converted road unit.it wasn't even red anymore it was pink with paint cancer all over it.the power steering didn't work and i was draged back in to the yard on the hook about every 3 weeks.in the winter i froze in the summer i dropped weight like a crack head.the truck had bad exhaust leaks and the cab shook like artie lang going throuh herion withdraw.i didn't really complain because i didn't have to share it with anybody.i drove this truck in a very heavy metro area no air flow what so ever.sorry i find it hard to feel bad for you and no air you atleast had highway speeds to cool you off.i drove that truck 2 yrs now its in a better place it only had 2,680,000 miles on it

She was a good old truck & 14W loved her.

May she rest in peace 14W.:biglaugh:
I'll bet is was clean in side though.

when i first started here at fx i drove the oldest intertrashinal on the lot no air and it was a converted road unit.it wasn't even red anymore it was pink with paint cancer all over it.the power steering didn't work and i was draged back in to the yard on the hook about every 3 weeks.in the winter i froze in the summer i dropped weight like a crack head.the truck had bad exhaust leaks and the cab shook like artie lang going throuh herion withdraw.i didn't really complain because i didn't have to share it with anybody.i drove this truck in a very heavy metro area no air flow what so ever.sorry i find it hard to feel bad for you and no air you atleast had highway speeds to cool you off.i drove that truck 2 yrs now its in a better place it only had 2,680,000 miles on it

Been there done that 14... Its easy to get spoiled isn't it? Sure I complain some about the lack of power they set these Volvo's at, but then I remember what I drove 25 yrs ago, hmmmm I LOVE my Volvo !!!!

AMEN!!! I miss AF and MR.G so much.
I'm proud to have worked for MR. G .I remember when he tried to put the boys in charge and had to jump back in. I think he did the very best by selling us to FEDEX and I know it is a large company and different from his way somewhat but if he were here today I would thank him for putting us where we are today!

Been there done that 14... Its easy to get spoiled isn't it? Sure I complain some about the lack of power they set these Volvo's at, but then I remember what I drove 25 yrs ago, hmmmm I LOVE my Volvo !!!!
Hey 365Volare would you take my new KW on trade for your old Volvo? I would even give some boot!! The only thing I have found good is that it comes with a kitty cat under the hood. Sounds like 14 had a good truck for the city I used L118 with a 2speed rear axle and armstrong steering (sometimes you had to stand up to get it. turned) so much for back in the old corps stories

I guess I wasn't clear It wasn't the first time and yes I do remember the smurfs and yes I was paid for the drive. And as I said I know they don't have new Vovlos sitting around for me to drive when I break down. I really thought I covered all the remarks that alluded that I was whineing or not real. I was just wondering if other centers did this too. I try to keep a positive attitude as hard as it can be.

Hey Train, I appologize for getting side tracked.. To answer you properly, some of our road drivers do have to drive a city truck once in a while. Luckly not very often. But it did happen to one here last week... They (dispatch) has to remember there is a weight restriction on those though.

hey man I have used a l unit once or twice on my trip to pos 502 miles comon up and down the hills south of syr and northern pa not alot of fun but was warm and dry it was a l3000 series so air ride 7spd got thru it ,all I can say is be glad you had a int the freightliners suck no balls at all they are a real joke comune