ABF | Last Night's Safety Dinner

harleydad75

TB Lurker
Credits
Last night we had our Safety dinner at 051. Bob D. addressed the pension situation pretty bluntly. He basically said that he is ready to write a $650 Million check to get out of the Multi employer funds. He sounds pretty confident that he will be allowed to do this, also. He also had plenty of time to do his usual Union bashing that he always seems to squeeze in on every quarterly report. He loves to tell us how it is our own fault that we can't be price competitive in the marketplace due to wages and pension and his favorite complaint, work rules. All I can say is hold on real tight cause this roller coaster is about to get real rough.:chairshot:

He's starting to sound like a presidential candidate... Just keep pounding on the same old tired message, and sooner or later they'll come around... :chairshot:
I wonder if he'd be willing to give back anything he's got 'to make us more cost competitive'? ... :hysterical:

When he was here at 042 for the "safety dinner", I htink he spent 5 minutes talking about safety then jumped right onto the pension issue. Never did get back to safety.
They should call it what it is, that isn's a safety dinner at all, it's a pension bashing dinner.

Last night we had our Safety dinner at 051. Bob D. addressed the pension situation pretty bluntly. He basically said that he is ready to write a $650 Million check to get out of the Multi employer funds. He sounds pretty confident that he will be allowed to do this, also. He also had plenty of time to do his usual Union bashing that he always seems to squeeze in on every quarterly report. He loves to tell us how it is our own fault that we can't be price competitive in the marketplace due to wages and pension and his favorite complaint, work rules. All I can say is hold on real tight cause this roller coaster is about to get real rough.:chairshot:
If they want to be cost competitive tell them to give back some of their pensions and salary. I guarantee you they wont. It,s always funny how they cry they are broke when it comes time for contract negotiations.

Yeah I often wounder why CEO's of companies need to make so much money?

You know that if ABF does buy out of the current pension plan.
Its only the first step in pulling out of the NMFA.
ABF is such a large LTL trucking company I for one don't see them being able to go non-union?

I've seen a few regional formaly Teamster LTL's that are now non-union.
Like Teals,Howards Express,and Central.
I'm sure there may be some more but these are the ones I know that do business in my part of town.

I couldn't believe that they were just able to walk away from the NMFA the way they did?
But I just can't see ABF doing the same thing?

So staying with your current pension may be more important than you think.

Yeah I often wounder why CEO's of companies need to make so much money?

You know that if ABF does buy out of the current pension plan.
Its only the first step in pulling out of the NMFA.
ABF is such a large LTL trucking company I for one don't see them being able to go non-union?

I've seen a few regional formaly Teamster LTL's that are now non-union.
Like Teals,Howards Express,and Central.
I'm sure there may be some more but these are the ones I know that do business in my part of town.

I couldn't believe that they were just able to walk away from the NMFA the way they did?
But I just can't see ABF doing the same thing?

So staying with your current pension may be more important than you think.

Apo,seems to me those three companies you mentioned are operated by replacement workers,strike breakers call them what you want,there s*** companies and you can add Pepsi of the hudson valley to that list:chairshot:

I'm ready to tell ABF they can keep their money because I ain't gonna listen to anymore of his BS. Take the money they pay us to watch his anti union propaganda and make us more price competitive in the marketplace.

Yellow, at least in St. Louis, quit giving us dinners long ago because we pretty much all boycotted them and wouldn't go to listen to their "team" BS. Maybe you guys should follow suit.

Yellow, at least in St. Louis, quit giving us dinners long ago because we pretty much all boycotted them and wouldn't go to listen to their "team" BS. Maybe you guys should follow suit.
I guess I've been boycotting them from day one Dude. I've never been to one and sure don't plan on wasting my time starting now.

I guess I've been boycotting them from day one Dude. I've never been to one and sure don't plan on wasting my time starting now.
I guess we're not team players Frog.......and that's the way I like it. Actually, if we want to get technical, these meetings or dinners are a way that the Companies can more or less negotiate with the individuals and not the Teamsters Union as a whole. They're designed to get Union employees to see things the Company's way which will seldom be good for the employees.

I wonder if when meeting with the shareholders he tells them the company can't be competitive? I bet it's a completely different story then. Somebody should get a hold of one of those quarterly report videos and threaten to show that to a group of shareholders. The whole thing was about how we can't compete with other carriers and that we are losing market share.

eamsters Multiemployer Pensions:

Needed Change May Finally Be on the Way

By William H. Fisher,

Raymond James & Associates

June 8, 2007

Click Here: Full Report
Key Excerpts: Pension Developments Discussed

Unlike single employer plans where the integrity of the pension resides with the contributing company, multiemployer plans commingle the employee pension assets/liabilities of numerous companies, implicitly pooling/diversifying the risk of failure of one company among all other contributors. In essence, if one company fails, the other contributors to the plan, through no fault of their own, would be on the hook for the residual liability tail of the failed company.

The funds are managed by trustees, not the employers, and certain provisions appear governed by the Teamsters, again, not the employers.

The data shows that Central States was $20.4 billion or only 49% funded at the end of 2005, as computed by ERISA using single employer pension plan methodology.

The irony is that these funds in aggregate are significantly under-funded despite the fact that the employers are making relatively enormous annual outlays [over $20,000 per full-time employee per year for pension and healthcare for the major union transportation companies]. As a result of the aforementioned items, according to 2005 Form 5500 ERISA data (the latest liability info available), the five largest Teamster multiemployer pensions, anchored by the poster child, Central States Southeast and Southwest Areas Pension Fund (Central States), are collectively under-funded by a whopping ~$31 billion (or only 64 percent funded).

There are fewer companies contributing to these pension plans. The number of trucking companies signed on to a national contract with the Teamsters union dropped from 900 in 1980 to 15 in 2006.

Sixty cents of every dollar UPS pays to the pension funds covers the retirement costs of employees who worked for other companies.*

The Central States Pension Plan was only 49 percent funded at the end of 2005, with roughly $21 billion in assets as of the first quarter of 2007.**

The ratio of assets to liabilities for the 5 largest Teamster pension plans combined is 62 percent.

Retirees outnumber active participants in the Central States Pension Plan by nearly two to one.***

“We strongly believe UPS and its employees would be far better off if it were able to exit the Central States Plan,” said Bill Fisher, Managing Director of Raymond James & Associates.

UPS and other freight carriers (YRC Workdwide, Arkansas Best, and a handful of smaller carriers) belong to scores of multiemployer pension plans. Because of the decline in unionized carriers and the more than 600 closings of Teamster-covered carriers in the freight industry since 1980, the remaining carriers are liable for literally billions of dollars in unfunded pension withdrawal liability. ****

Looks like UPS is doing the same thing.

Question: I believe UPS said it would pay something along the line to 2 billion.
ABF 650 million.

Now question: Is those amounts each are willing to pay cover their portion of the men already retired and ones about to up to this point.

If so then I don't have a problem with it. I think the teamsters along with each company will still over see the pension like they do now.

Just trying to understand because this is going to effect us UPSF also.:1036316054:

Looks like UPS is doing the same thing.

Question: I believe UPS said it would pay something along the line to 2 billion.
ABF 650 million.

Now question: Is those amounts each are willing to pay cover their portion of the men already retired and ones about to up to this point.

If so then I don't have a problem with it. I think the teamsters along with each company will still over see the pension like they do now.

Just trying to understand because this is going to effect us UPSF also.:1036316054:

According to the Feds , that wouldn't be enough for each to pay. For UPS the figure would be about 12 billion and for ABF its closer to 4 billion, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for either one to write a check.

Where are all employer funded pension plans heading?

Pension plans are paying retired workers that once had put time in their companies,but are now not producing anything,yet receiving money from their companies the rest of their lives.

When pensions the system of paying workers after they've left the company they worked for,was working,companies were growing,and adding workers.

But pension plans have always worked on a pyramide scale of workers working,and companies paying into these funds on be half of the current workers which in turn took care of the retirees.

With the economic down turn in our nation,companies are cutting their work forces.

But are still oblegated to fund the old plans they agreed on when business was a lot better.

the idea of a pension is being fazed out by a lot of companies now days,and being replaced with the 401-k plans.
Where an employeer matches the investment of their current workers,and doesn't have any long term commitment to pay for workers that don't do any work for them anymore.

So time will tell if the current Teamster pension is going to stay,or go?

I'm sure we will all see what the next contract terms will be to hang on to the current pension plan,or watch it sink into the sunset,at the bargaining table?

According to the Feds , that wouldn't be enough for each to pay. For UPS the figure would be about 12 billion and for ABF its closer to 4 billion, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for either one to write a check.

I believe it goes something like this, each parties exit/withdrawal amount ($$) is in correlation to the actual number of union employees they have. So UPS being the largest employer of union labor will have to pay something like the 4 billion. ABF I believe the accurate number equates to 650+- billion. For YRCW it would be something like the 2 billion.

I believe it goes something like this, each parties exit/withdrawal amount ($$) is in correlation to the actual number of union employees they have. So UPS being the largest employer of union labor will have to pay something like the 4 billion. ABF I believe the accurate number equates to 650+- billion. For YRCW it would be something like the 2 billion.

The administrator of the central states pension fund was at local 480(nashville) last month and what I quoted is what he said. I think ABF and UPS math may be off.

hey harley when you say he is willing to write that 650 mil check to withdraw now correct me if i am wrong that amount is only for withdrawing from the central states fund
i belong to 707 in ny and i believe that autonomous funds such as mine are not included in that proposal
your statement and others like it seem to imply all teamster funds
please clarify
in addition ups' offer to withdraw recently rose from 4 billion they initially wanted to pay to 5 billion
i'm sure abf's number will increase also
sounds like a lot of money and it may seem like it will bail out that fund if paid
it will not as i was told that the amount to make the central states fund 100% funded is 18 billion