Central Transport | Lay-offs system-wide?

Dokratt

TB Lurker
Credits
Lay-off letters went out today at many Vitran/Pjax terminals. Just wondering how and which ones. so far I know GRR,Brwnstown,Cleveland. These were of the permanent kind.Is it that slow?

we had 3 city in GRR, im not sure about any linehaul. we have slowed down a little bit, but I think it was more because of the merger, we ended up with alot of guys on a flex board, and just not enough work to keep them all busy. Best of luck to anyone who got the letter.

Thanks for the info.Good luck to everyone,maybe I'll be back,but right now I have a line on janitors' job.Loved it whileit lasted

I'm one of the GR guys to go. However to be fair, I volunteered for it when I heard the rumor. The writing was on the wall, get out while the gettin's good. For myself, I blame PJAX, Vitran, (neither were very upfront and honest about the whole situation IMO) and mostly, the economy for this. I know the financial hit I'll take, but it's almost like getting paid to quit. I have a clean record and a good work history, I'll find something to do soon enough. I needed a vacation anyway. I'll get up Monday, not have to worry about calling in to find out if I'm going to work. And I can save my sanity in the process. Had a lot of fun working with you Enforcer, it was a blast while it lasted. Do me a favor and tell my office situation Hi and call me.....:butt kiss:

layoffs

We lost a couple linehaul and city,plus get day off through the week.We lost some good guys and a straight truck driver that had 3 years in,We need that truck every day and they pulled him because he only had a class b. They lost a good guy that done the job,one of the few I never heard a customer complaint about.Way to go Pjax,you always find a way to step on your own feet.Our mgmt should have stood up for him.Seniority a non-factor I guess.:chairshot:

We lost a couple linehaul and city,plus get day off through the week.We lost some good guys and a straight truck driver that had 3 years in,We need that truck every day and they pulled him because he only had a class b. They lost a good guy that done the job,one of the few I never heard a customer complaint about.Way to go Pjax,you always find a way to step on your own feet.Our mgmt should have stood up for him.Seniority a non-factor I guess.:chairshot:

why didnt the class b driver go out and get a class a and a hazmat to avoid layoff? dont most of you pjax guys only have a class a with no endorsements ? you guys only pulled long boxes didnt you:smilie_132:

Been there. Now what mgmt will want is for everyone else to pickup the pace to fill in the gap. Do what you have to and nothing more. Don't speed. But, don't visibly drag your feet.
Alot of "Good Drivers" are going to be lost before things turn around. And it's not just your company. Union and non-union are going to be affected by this mess.

Good luck to all

why didnt the class b driver go out and get a class a and a hazmat to avoid layoff? dont most of you pjax guys only have a class a with no endorsements ? you guys only pulled long boxes didnt you:smilie_132:

First he didnt have a clue,and second he wouldnt have had the class a experience so it wouldnt have mattered and actually I have all endorsements and have driven doubles and tankers as have all but a handfull of the other guys.

most pjax drivers did only pull vans very few pups, straight trucks not expected to due anything but class a can do both sorry for his layoff but maybe b drivers ought to get a also so they can be more beneficial. don't like to see anybody laid off but their not gonna keep straight drivers who can't do anything else

I was Line haul out of Spring City, got my letter Nov. 5th. Permanent work force reduction. Thanks, PJax, right before the holidays! Not much work out there right now..

I really hate the fact that good men and women are losing their jobs. Just remember it is not PJAX's or even Vitran's fault. I would imagine that management would love to have enough buisness to employ as many people as possible. Lets all pray for a stronger economy so we all can get back to work.

I worked at the Jax for a few years.
Me and another driver got canned for virtually bogus reasons back in '05.
Seems like they wanted to get rid of the higher tier drivers to save a
buck or two on payroll back then.
Pay a newbie .38 cpm instead of a veteran .46 cpm for the same run,
that sort of thing.
This goes on in a lot of these scumbag outfits.
I needed a break from the industry anyway and collected max unemployment for nine months while working off the books part time laying tile with my brother-in-law.
Went back to work a year later for a good outfit and been with em ever since.
Getting away from Pjax was the best thing that ever happenned.

I really hate the fact that good men and women are losing their jobs. Just remember it is not PJAX's or even Vitran's fault. I would imagine that management would love to have enough buisness to employ as many people as possible. Lets all pray for a stronger economy so we all can get back to work.

Very well put.

I worked at the Jax for a few years.
Me and another driver got canned for virtually bogus reasons back in '05.
Seems like they wanted to get rid of the higher tier drivers to save a
buck or two on payroll back then.
Pay a newbie .38 cpm instead of a veteran .46 cpm for the same run,
that sort of thing.
This goes on in a lot of these scumbag outfits.
I needed a break from the industry anyway and collected max unemployment for nine months while working off the books part time laying tile with my brother-in-law.
Went back to work a year later for a good outfit and been with em ever since.
Getting away from Pjax was the best thing that ever happenned.
somehow doubt you got canned for bs to save money considering the terminal i work for has 7 drivers making max money try a new line of bs with your new line of work:TR10driving03:

I thought this site was for current employees, not for ex-employees who want to bash their ex-company because they could not hold a job.