TForce | Laying Off Again

ovntguy

TB Lurker
Credits
Well here we go again. Birmingham posted 2 new road driver position last month. The lucky 2 were reclassified on 7-11-11. But while the new positions were up, we took a rate increase which in turn lead to BHM lossing it's 3 biggest customers. This equated to a loss of 100,000+ pounds per night. Instead of canceling the 2 new positions, my TM let them go thru. Now 30 days later we are losing 2 road runs. These guys haven't even made 20 trips yet. One is a 5 year man about 3/4 way up on the city board. The other is a 7 year man that was #4 on the city board. But here is the kicker. A 7 year man that has 4 years on the road is being laid off because one of the new road driver has company time by 3 months. DID YOU UNDERSTAND. The new 7 year man with less than 20 trips stay and the 7 year man with 4 years road goes. This is not right. He has been through 4 layoffs already. Hell, he has been laid off and on for 2 years of the last 2.8 years. Just when he thought he had turned the curve, the company does some bull#$@ like this. These are sorry excuses for human beings that we work for. And if you think the current system of layoffs by company seniority if appropriate, then you are just as sorry. In talking to the driver he said it took all he had to make it through the 4 other layoffs. This one is gonna do him in and he's gonna loose his house. This SUX. Pray for him and his family.

That is a shame, best of luck to the man. My UPS Freight friends here tell me that when you switch from road to city, or city to road you shed your classification seniority and what you have described would not happen.

Dude, This seniority application was this way when it was Overnite. This is NOTHING NEW! Blah Blah Blah....

what do you think your co. seniority should be used for? I'm assuming your one of the ones that have only one seniority date. Ask some of your other union brothers how they feel about this. Well you can't do that because you can't be a union man. Maybe you should take your sorry ### somewhere else because company seniority should rule no matter what. PERIOD.
Well here we go again. Birmingham posted 2 new road driver position last month. The lucky 2 were reclassified on 7-11-11. But while the new positions were up, we took a rate increase which in turn lead to BHM lossing it's 3 biggest customers. This equated to a loss of 100,000+ pounds per night. Instead of canceling the 2 new positions, my TM let them go thru. Now 30 days later we are losing 2 road runs. These guys haven't even made 20 trips yet. One is a 5 year man about 3/4 way up on the city board. The other is a 7 year man that was #4 on the city board. But here is the kicker. A 7 year man that has 4 years on the road is being laid off because one of the new road driver has company time by 3 months. DID YOU UNDERSTAND. The new 7 year man with less than 20 trips stay and the 7 year man with 4 years road goes. This is not right. He has been through 4 layoffs already. Hell, he has been laid off and on for 2 years of the last 2.8 years. Just when he thought he had turned the curve, the company does some bull#$@ like this. These are sorry excuses for human beings that we work for. And if you think the current system of layoffs by company seniority if appropriate, then you are just as sorry. In talking to the driver he said it took all he had to make it through the 4 other layoffs. This one is gonna do him in and he's gonna loose his house. This SUX. Pray for him and his family.

This is why we should have a single seniority list, company time should prevail!
This does not happen at package.

I guess I'll assume you spent 25 years in the city and came out to the road wanting to be #1. Cry me a handful cause you will never be #1. I said if you agree with the current layoff system you are sorry. Let me take your hand and walk you through this. Layoff's by company seniority YES. Going to bottom of local cartiage board to work the dock NO. Your company seniority should allow you to bump into local caritage. YOU Haulingasses are the reason why we are not a UNION. We are just unionized that's all. I'm trying to sympathise with a BROTHER that is down and I get critisized and told to quit. The last time I checked company seniority doesn't rule. It is what it is and will be decided in 2013. So maybe YOU should take your sorry ### somewhere else.

So your pissed off because the guys with less company time is being laid off. Huh?

I'm pissed because my sorry TM doesn't want the headache of growing our terminal. Spin it how u want, but for the area BHM covers we should be 3 times as big as we are now. And the same road driver keeps paying the price over and over. U turned this thread into a seniority gripe feast when all is about is felling sorry for a brother that is hurting. DELETE THE DAMN THREAD MODERATOR.

This is why we should have a single seniority list, company time should prevail!
This does not happen at package.
We do have different seniority dates that they go by in the southern supplements. I have 3 seniority dates. My hire date, my FT date and my feeder classification date.

well i guess it's safe for me to say that my 3 "active" applications, one driver, one dock/driver, one dock, will NOT be getting me any calls for work any time soon......

pro1driver said:
well i guess it's safe for me to say that my 3 "active" applications, one driver, one dock/driver, one dock, will NOT be getting me any calls for work any time soon......

Depends on where you are located at Pro. They were looking for road drivers in Harrisburg. Last I heard, they didn't get any aps from qualified drivers.

Depends on where you are located at Pro. They were looking for road drivers in Harrisburg. Last I heard, they didn't get any aps from qualified drivers.

thanks, but for me to drive (about) 6.5 hours each way every day, i'd be broke in one week......

what i cannot understand is that they posted the openings on their own website (UPS), i really wanted UPS, but one is automatically diverted to Freight instead....then you go through the lengthy process of filing out one of their applications, (in my case 3) only to be continually getting, "no appointments schedule at this time"...

so what's thier deal..??? they just building a pool of potential employee's..???

on the dock worker application, i picked out a time i'd like to work, midnight to 6 AM, but no openings, and one CANNOT change the time we choose to another..?? what's up with that BS...????

never seen such a hacked up application process like this before.

apply for this, but get diverted to that, then can't change, then wait till hell freezes over for an "appointment"...

un-friggin' believable.

thanks, but for me to drive (about) 6.5 hours each way every day, i'd be broke in one week......

what i cannot understand is that they posted the openings on their own website (UPS), i really wanted UPS, but one is automatically diverted to Freight instead....then you go through the lengthy process of filing out one of their applications, (in my case 3) only to be continually getting, "no appointments schedule at this time"...

so what's thier deal..??? they just building a pool of potential employee's..???

on the dock worker application, i picked out a time i'd like to work, midnight to 6 AM, but no openings, and one CANNOT change the time we choose to another..?? what's up with that BS...????

never seen such a hacked up application process like this before.

apply for this, but get diverted to that, then can't change, then wait till hell freezes over for an "appointment"...

un-friggin' believable.

Welcome to UPS. On my original response, I have no idea where you are located at. I do wish you all the best in securing a job.

UPS can lay off a man with 4 years of vacations let's say, vs a man with 1 year's vacation. Which do you think they will do? Is it fair not to go by company seniority for a lay off. Well it's not about fairness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to UPS. On my original response, I have no idea where you are located at. I do wish you all the best in securing a job.

yes, i know, and i live here in New England..where i applied from this point isn't any concern, as there aren't any openings with -in a 25 (??) mile radius, yet they invite people to fill out a pre-app, then later a full app...????

either hire, or not, stop messing around with people.

UPS can lay off a man with 4 years of vacations let's say, vs a man with 1 year's vacation. Which do you think they will do? Is it fair not to go by company seniority for a lay off. Well it's not about fairness.

yeah, speaks volumes of a company that does not lay off the last one hired....why on earth do they do this..?? maybe i ought to be thankful my applications are only "active" and nothing else....then again, if hired, maybe i'd stay working while a more senior driver gets laid off..??

man, talk about your co-workers hating you after that....

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you hate your coworker? It's not their fault...
i had worked in a union shop, and non union shops..there are some people that i have worked with, that blame you for thier problems.....maybe this has never happened to you, but it has happened to me, and personally i do not like being hated for something the company does....

and i mean the other worker hating you, not the other way around (if he gets laid off, over a non-senior driver/worker)

If a person hates me for those reasons I really don't think I would lose any sleep over it. Not to mention they are not the kind of people I would have much in common with anyway...