SAIA | Layoffs!!

I didn't realize that the "senior men" got to "cherry pick" routes. When I was there I took what was given to me without question or argument. I know the union carriers let the senior people pick routes. Hope that's not your implication...

I didn't realize that the "senior men" got to "cherry pick" routes. When I was there I took what was given to me without question or argument. I know the union carriers let the senior people pick routes. Hope that's not your implication...
I didn't mean to imply that. I've seen no evidence of that here. But you are right that does happen with the Teamsters. I have had many senior guys at YRC brag about it.

Not only do they cherry pick routes they cherry pick stops as they are being loaded by their buddies on the dock. Leaving all the BS stops that take time to the junior guys. So much for the brotherhood.

Point is...TMs and dispatchers can set up routes however they want. But when it comes to layoffs, those same people have zero say in who goes and who stays. It all comes down to some person or people in Atlanta or wherever that decide what percent of the workforce needs to be cut, and where it needs to be cut. Then they kick the can down the road to the local manager to break the news. It's spineless and weak, but it's reality. As I mentioned, the people that make the decisions should have to look people in the eye and break the news. But that will never happen.

You so underestimate Dispatchers. Just do your job. They know who does what. I could so go off. But it's really best I leave this one alone. They have pickups to make and it does them no good to cut their nose off to spite their face. Bringing back freight serves no ones best interest. And if you try and set someone up that is usually what happens.
You could go off?? Go ahead but you'd be wrong lol. Who do you think you are telling another driver whey he has seen and experienced in his career? I posted what I have seen over my 25 year career with both Union and Union free companies.

You could go off?? Go ahead but you'd be wrong lol. Who do you think you are telling another driver whey he has seen and experienced in his career? I posted what I have seen over my 25 year career with both Union and Union free companies.
I got 40+ years and 20 years as a dispatcher at Overnite up until the strike. Who am I ? Someone that has seen the ugly side of both sides of the fence. And have seen more than you because I'm older. Today's Teamsters have sold you out. Wake up.

I have quite a few years under my belt also. Can I say I see the good in both sides union and nonunion. Is there any middle ground here. The bulk of my years with Overnite, I was content to remain nonunion. With UPS I am standing with the union because we are a union company now. I just think what ever side of the fence you are on, you have to make the best of it. I just don't make it a life long fight. Might be wrong, but that is the way I look at it now in my final few years...

I have quite a few years under my belt also. Can I say I see the good in both sides union and nonunion. Is there any middle ground here. The bulk of my years with Overnite, I was content to remain nonunion. With UPS I am standing with the union because we are a union company now. I just think what ever side of the fence you are on, you have to make the best of it. I just don't make it a life long fight. Might be wrong, but that is the way I look at it now in my final few years...
You are the only LTL company that hasn't been sold out. Consider yourself lucky. With a year and a half to go before I retire my fight will soon end. I'm ready to retire and get into some heavy fishing and hunting.

I got 40+ years and 20 years as a dispatcher at Overnite up until the strike. Who am I ? Someone that has seen the ugly side of both sides of the fence. And have seen more than you because I'm older. Today's Teamsters have sold you out. Wake up.
You are getting off topic. My point was if you do not lay off in senority order it opens the door to possible a abuse. Performance numbers can be controlled by job assignments. If someone is not pulling their weight that issue needs to be addressed at the time by management not at mass layoff time. For the record I am awake, I work for the strongest LTL company in the industry, at least according to O.R, Old D.

You are getting off topic. My point was if you do not lay off in senority order it opens the door to possible a abuse. Performance numbers can be controlled by job assignments. If someone is not pulling their weight that issue needs to be addressed at the time by management not at mass layoff time. For the record I am awake, I work for the strongest LTL company in the industry, at least according to O.R, Old D.
I have went to your profile and read most of your post and I notice that you haven't been at OD that long. You kind of bounce around the forums. Let me say that I think your choice to go to OD was the best decision you have ever made. I'm extremely anti-union and most on here know why. I won't get in a pissing contest with you. So just let me say this. I understand numbers better than most after all being a dispatcher for 20 years taught me that. And yes, abuse can take place. But the path I've chosen has worked for me. Just as the path you have chosen works for you. Let's just accept the fact that we are different. And leave it at that.

well I am 62 years old and been in LTL trucking since I was 19, and I will work rings around a 30 year old any day because they don't have the work ethics
that the old truckers have. most grew up with their mama's wiping their ass and daddy taking them to school ( and still can't count), they back to a dock and a lift unloads the truck. They go to a grocery whse and have to break off 2 layers and cry like a baby, I would love to see them take a Gerber Baby food load in with 4000 cs on the floor to unload. we worked hard for what we got and we still know how to work. not all layoffs where job performance, some attendance and some others. if anybody is going to talk up the union on this forum it is going to be ME, so take your ass back to yours!
I never saw the U word used in that post.