SAIA | Layoffs!!

Self preservation is a basic human need. Layoffs are based on seniority. Cut and dry.
We disagree. Should be based on performance and other things. If a driver has 10 or 11 points when your allowed 12 then you have a problem. From being late to calling off to accidents. These points add up. Many senior drivers have this sense of entitlement and think they can do what they want. Wrong.

Well let's say there's a 60 year old fellow that has been thère for the better part of his life peddling freight. Then at the same barn you have a 30 year old fellow who has been there just a few years but for obvious reasons moves a little faster and can in most cases out perform the older fellow. Lets say they both put in a good effort every day. Is it really the right thing to do in a case such as this to lay off by performance?
According to the RAT who is 60, he only get 30 - 35 hrs a week.
Joe, I never said that. I said I'm OK with it. I average 44-45.
I sit corrected

Well let's say there's a 60 year old fellow that has been thère for the better part of his life peddling freight. Then at the same barn you have a 30 year old fellow who has been there just a few years but for obvious reasons moves a little faster and can in most cases out perform the older fellow. Lets say they both put in a good effort every day. Is it really the right thing to do in a case such as this to lay off by performance?
In most cases if the 60 year had zero points he would not be affected.

I didn't say that going by seniority was right, or that the drivers agree with. But that is the reality of how Saia handles these situations. People sitting behind desks are the decision makers, not people behind the wheel.

well I am 62 years old and been in LTL trucking since I was 19, and I will work rings around a 30 year old any day because they don't have the work ethics
that the old truckers have. most grew up with their mama's wiping their ass and daddy taking them to school ( and still can't count), they back to a dock and a lift unloads the truck. They go to a grocery whse and have to break off 2 layers and cry like a baby, I would love to see them take a Gerber Baby food load in with 4000 cs on the floor to unload. we worked hard for what we got and we still know how to work. not all layoffs where job performance, some attendance and some others. if anybody is going to talk up the union on this forum it is going to be ME, so take your ass back to yours!

Hey pal lets calm down here, no U word was used or implied. It was just a simple question. I guess you haven't met any but there are a few young guys with heart that will put the heat on a peddle route and make the freight melt off the trailer.

I guess you haven't met any but there are a few young guys with heart that will put the heat on a peddle route and make the freight melt off the trailer.
Yep, I have met a few of those guys. They cut corners on safety and usually start having accidents. I pace myself and never cut corners. I could stay up with them but I choose not to. If something should happen here my driving record will let me have my choice at almost any company. I WILL NOT cut corners on safety. If the speed demons want to all I can say is more power to them. It's just a matter of time before it catches up with them.

Yep, I have met a few of those guys. They cut corners on safety and usually start having accidents. I pace myself and never cut corners. I could stay up with them but I choose not to. If something should happen here my driving record will let me have my choice at almost any company. I WILL NOT cut corners on safety. If the speed demons want to all I can say is more power to them. It's just a matter of time before it catches up with them.
There you go with another generalization/stereotype.

well I am 62 years old and been in LTL trucking since I was 19, and I will work rings around a 30 year old any day because they don't have the work ethics
that the old truckers have. most grew up with their mama's wiping their ass and daddy taking them to school ( and still can't count), they back to a dock and a lift unloads the truck. They go to a grocery whse and have to break off 2 layers and cry like a baby, I would love to see them take a Gerber Baby food load in with 4000 cs on the floor to unload. we worked hard for what we got and we still know how to work. not all layoffs where job performance, some attendance and some others. if anybody is going to talk up the union on this forum it is going to be ME, so take your ass back to yours!
I got your back Old Timer ..... And I hear you loud and clear. We are different in many ways. But we are also the same in many ways.

Hey pal lets calm down here, no U word was used or implied. It was just a simple question. I guess you haven't met any but there are a few young guys with heart that will put the heat on a peddle route and make the freight melt off the trailer.

Frootloop it's not directed at you , but I am a L/H driver now and I come in and listen to all the P&D drivers complain about how bad of a day they had and think of the days I wish I had days like that.

The Midwest seems to be down on bill counts and weight. I know my terminal has no extra freight. And laid off 1 part time dock worker and a P/D driver.

It's not just Saia though. Friend of mine at O.D. has only been working 4 nights a week. And a Conway dock worker was down to 30 hours a week and he said he normally does 50-55 hours.

Not every employee that Saia hires is a great worker. I'm guessing they are using the slow down In freight to cull the herd. Which in my opinion has to happen from time to time.
Ok so sorry for the lay off but I don't understand why people don't understand why its so important to be union. Senority health care time off retirment is number one. We don't kiss up to the boss or throw are coworkers under the bus to have a job. One more thing check on your social security what does it say about your benefits at 66 . Again if the wages are not high you suffer again. The union people be over $2000 not $1200. Then when all you anti union people reach that age its to late. You by yourself all your buddies the anti ones are all gone. A example you belived in your own bull ::shit::. Good luck

Ok so sorry for the lay off but I don't understand why people don't understand why its so important to be union. Senority health care time off retirment is number one. We don't kiss up to the boss or throw are coworkers under the bus to have a job. One more thing check on your social security what does it say about your benefits at 66 . Again if the wages are not high you suffer again. The union people be over $2000 not $1200. Then when all you anti union people reach that age its to late. You by yourself all your buddies the anti ones are all gone. A example you belived in your own bull :::shit:::. Good luck

As long as I DO my job, I have seniority.
I would put my compensation (wages+healthcare+retirement) up against anyone but Brown. I don't have 30 years or the lack of personality to work there anyway.
I work here by choice (mine AND Saia's). They tell me what my responsibilities are and how I will be compensated. I AGREE TO THE TERMS. Doesn't seem like a difficult concept. Even to a reformed Teamster (15 years), like myself. Good day.

No...thats not correct
Yeah it could be correct, it's awful easy for a supervisor to set someone up to fail, especially on a city route, give him 4 hotels everyday and 1 or 2 stops all the way across town, while he likes driver B and driver B bumps docks all day long and looks like a hero and has better numbers because he does not spend hours a day wheeling crap in on his 2 wheeler, here is another point, freight is hard on you, the longer you do it the more it wears you down, old guys can say all they want they keep up with the young guys, and maybe they do under certain conditions, but not when it comes to throwing a trailer full of tires or all the inside hand jobs, you are all going to get old, now you can worry about slowing down, and a Jr driver getting your spot because he is fresher than you are.

Yeah it could be correct, it's awful easy for a supervisor to set someone up to fail, especially on a city route, give him 4 hotels everyday and 1 or 2 stops all the way across town, while he likes driver B and driver B bumps docks all day long and looks like a hero and has better numbers because he does not spend hours a day wheeling crap in on his 2 wheeler, here is another point, freight is hard on you, the longer you do it the more it wears you down, old guys can say all they want they keep up with the young guys, and maybe they do under certain conditions, but not when it comes to throwing a trailer full of tires or all the inside hand jobs, you are all going to get old, now you can worry about slowing down, and a Jr driver getting your spot because he is fresher than you are.
You so underestimate Dispatchers. Just do your job. They know who does what. I could so go off. But it's really best I leave this one alone. They have pickups to make and it does them no good to cut their nose off to spite their face. Bringing back freight serves no ones best interest. And if you try and set someone up that is usually what happens.

Last edited:
Whether your a senior man that cherry picks his route or a junior man that gets what left. It really doesn't matter. You can't fool most dispatchers. No matter how much you try. Most are pretty good guys. And equalize things the best they can.

Those the same guys you refer to as "go getters"?