FedEx Freight | Layoffs

I like your words of encouragement, and I really do hope your right. I do understand that there are great advantages that go along with the brand name recognition of FedEx; opportunities to branch out into new markets that it would have taken Watkins at least 5 times as long. I think that if the Big Wigs at FedEx want this thing to succeed, it will. My real concern is this.
Did they buy us to grow us or buy us to shrink us down and be more of a complimentory division to Freight and eventually merge us with freight? (In which case the whole seniority thing comes up and a LOT of former Watkins people will get screwed.) Honestly, it could go either way. Also, I think probably the key factor to the deal was acquiring the Canada freight, which without, FedEx probably wouldn't have bothered noticing our little blip on the radar. A lot of people are being "displaced", (isn't that the new politically correct term for refugee?) and are having their lives turned upside down. So it's clear to me that the bottom line with FedEx is money. I'm a realist, I understand that. Only time will tell what the plans are for the former Watkins, and I intend to hang on until I cant anymore and then find something else to do. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
R.ather B.e Fishing :USA:

The only thing I would add is I've never seen anything that FX bought that they wanted to downsize, I too think that Canada was a major part of the acquisition, but we have lost out on lots of freight at FXFE simply because we would not honor discounts between East and West, upper management had even said they were not interested in long haul for they could make as much on a shipment in the 1-2 day lanes and free the equipment up sooner for more freight.

Customers however want the long haul capability so even though that may not have been the prime reason for the Watkins purchase I do think it was an added plus not a negative for FXF as a whole.

FM

PS: back when the Watkins deal was a rumor there was also another rumor of a possible future purchase, the only way that future purchase would make sense is if they were to expand Nationals coverage. I do think it will happen and you guys will grow and stop interlining with us as you gain centers and coverage area, as you say, time will tell.

Oh yeah if you want to know who the other co was your gonna have to do some research and read some old posts, lol.

I think what a lot of it is, we all feel like a mushroom keep us in the dark and feeding us bull.Hi Ken in MPS.