FedEx Freight | Layoffs

Junk!!!!!!!!!!!

What happens at Freight doesnt pertain to National.Maybe National will lay off. The no layoff at Freight stems from American Freightways. National will make more than Freight,and get their old junk equipment paid for sight unseen.There will be some "weeding out" at National for sure.National will get parted out and integrated .We bought Watkins for Canada and thats it.And the slow service that is cheap,called"longhaul" is an afterthought.
Well to start off with I believe our trucks are as new as yours.As for the junk!! The only junk we have around is some of the million mile wonders we got from FXE. When they showed up on our yard and they stacked them down, shinning like a new WHITE million dollar bill,3 of the 5 wouldn't even run.So a few days later....back on the hook headed for the shop. More money spent on JUNK that we didn't need. Sans the old FXE tractors nearly all our trucks are 05,06. and 07's. Maybe they don't get down the road as fast as FXE trucks, but they sure as hell are just as nice and new.:butt kiss:

Guess FXFE thinks they're better, big suprise! If the no layoffs stem from AMFRT, Watkins didn't layoff either. Because of the buyout, I'm collecting a less than 1/2 a paycheck from unemployment because I'm on a forced DTO until the "restructuring". I sure do miss Watkins. A year ago this time they had plenty of work for everyone. FXFE just wanted Canada huh, seems they still can't get that together right either yet!

Junk

Well to start off with I believe our trucks are as new as yours.As for the junk!! The only junk we have around is some of the million mile wonders we got from FXE. When they showed up on our yard and they stacked them down, shinning like a new WHITE million dollar bill,3 of the 5 wouldn't even run.So a few days later....back on the hook headed for the shop. More money spent on JUNK that we didn't need. Sans the old FXE tractors nearly all our trucks are 05,06. and 07's. Maybe they don't get down the road as fast as FXE trucks, but they sure as hell are just as nice and new.:butt kiss:

I hear ya man, they are nothing but repainted bombers! We have like 20 or 30 old Volvos ready to go to repint for National, on the yard, and every day I have 2 or 3 antique junkers to choose from to sweat in all day, that is, if I can find one that runs!!! As I drive past all the reasonably good old volvos.....looking for the most acceptable junk to drive all day in the heat!

but look at it this way ,they wont be taking our twinscrews to pull treir pups around cause they will rip the mud flaps off

jibber-jabber we were told on friday at our barn no layoffs things should start to pick up guess this means salespeople are finally going to get off the back 9 and start to make sales calls

You do realize your citing a post made last November by someone who's rep points are bleeding red, there are several others following with not such a negative opinion, so why would you pick that one??

FM

Guess FXFE thinks they're better, big suprise! If the no layoffs stem from AMFRT, Watkins didn't layoff either. Because of the buyout, I'm collecting a less than 1/2 a paycheck from unemployment because I'm on a forced DTO until the "restructuring". I sure do miss Watkins. A year ago this time they had plenty of work for everyone. FXFE just wanted Canada huh, seems they still can't get that together right either yet!

What would cause you to make such a statement? Have you read the entire thread? The one post he cited was made last Nov and there are lots of others with a very different opinion, don't be so biased.:smilie_132:

FM

The first wave of "restructuring" (layoffs) will be nothing compared to what's going to happen on July 23rd. The acquisition isnt going the way FedEx hoped it would. They are rapidly trying to lower the OR to get the Profit Margins up to where Fred Smith wants them. I hope we either get a gang of new accounts or the economy surges in the next couple of months. I'm hoping for the best. It sounds like the freight levels are soft in the mid west. The West is steady but nothing heavy. Good Luck All!

sales

Heard from a DM on thursday at a terminal meeting that ALL fed-ex freight sales people have gotten their marching orders to sell national hard , starting immediatly!!!

Heard from a DM on thursday at a terminal meeting that ALL fed-ex freight sales people have gotten their marching orders to sell national hard , starting immediatly!!!

Freight sales people were at National on Friday in DLS my friends at freight in Waco said that National sales people were at there yard.

Yeah my TM told me last month that the sales force would be working in each others offices to get a lay of the land. In fact i met one of the FXF Sales Lady at the coffee pot couple of weeks ago. Lets see what they can do

What would cause you to make such a statement? Have you read the entire thread? The one post he cited was made last Nov and there are lots of others with a very different opinion, don't be so biased.:smilie_132:

FM
When I'm sure I still have a job next month, I wont be so negative. Nothing has changed good wise since SEPT< NOVEMBER< whenever.They wanted our terminal to do something different with Canada freight everyweek. Fed Ex better get everything together soon. My buddy has been at (Watkin's) for 20 years and even he's scared he wont have job next month. Tell me something good!

When I'm sure I still have a job next month, I wont be so negative. Nothing has changed good wise since SEPT< NOVEMBER< whenever.They wanted our terminal to do something different with Canada freight everyweek. Fed Ex better get everything together soon. My buddy has been at (Watkin's) for 20 years and even he's scared he wont have job next month. Tell me something good!

If he's been in the freight business for 20 yrs he knows there's no guarantees, the economy is screwed, probably mostly due to fuel costs, can't buy anything but gas at these prices.

However what I was referring to was the FXFE comment, while I'm sure some at FXFE think they are better than National I'm willing to bet there are those at National that also think they are better. All I was saying is don't lump us all into one pot.

Thanks and best of luck, I think you guys will do better in the months to come than Freight will.
FM

If he's been in the freight business for 20 yrs he knows there's no guarantees, the economy is screwed, probably mostly due to fuel costs, can't buy anything but gas at these prices.

However what I was referring to was the FXFE comment, while I'm sure some at FXFE think they are better than National I'm willing to bet there are those at National that also think they are better. All I was saying is don't lump us all into one pot.

Thanks and best of luck, I think you guys will do better in the months to come than Freight will.
FM
Why do you think national will do better than freight?

Because we will get it there faster with the teams and there is more freight going coast to coast than within a region.. I was told that they expect national to grow 25% a year. so we will see

Why do you think national will do better than freight?

Your a new offering for FX, I know Watkins has been doing it for a long time, but don't underestimate the power of a leading brand like FX to get more business. One stop shopping and your the missing link, no pun intended. With the realignment and the FX name you will get more freight and expand into new territory, at Freight we have covered just about everything so now all that's left is overseas or taking from the competition.

FM

I like your words of encouragement, and I really do hope your right. I do understand that there are great advantages that go along with the brand name recognition of FedEx; opportunities to branch out into new markets that it would have taken Watkins at least 5 times as long. I think that if the Big Wigs at FedEx want this thing to succeed, it will. My real concern is this.
Did they buy us to grow us or buy us to shrink us down and be more of a complimentory division to Freight and eventually merge us with freight? (In which case the whole seniority thing comes up and a LOT of former Watkins people will get screwed.) Honestly, it could go either way. Also, I think probably the key factor to the deal was acquiring the Canada freight, which without, FedEx probably wouldn't have bothered noticing our little blip on the radar. A lot of people are being &quot;displaced&quot;, (isn't that the new politically correct term for refugee?) and are having their lives turned upside down. So it's clear to me that the bottom line with FedEx is money. I'm a realist, I understand that. Only time will tell what the plans are for the former Watkins, and I intend to hang on until I cant anymore and then find something else to do. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.
R.ather B.e Fishing :USA:

i talked to a fxfe salesmans about 3 weeks ago and he said he wasn't selling national any time soon. my tm said we will not interline frt with fxf that we do not cover. so my question is how do we have 900+ sales for national if we don't interline freight. so if fxf picks it up in a area that we don't cover they keep i9t regardless if its long haul or not. bye the way say hi to ken e.(dm) from mps he checks these boards.:smilie_132: