FedEx Freight | Let's start working on a CONTRACT.

I understand if it gets to the point of a contract it's not going to be perfect and at some point it will mean get what you can in the first one then work on it each contract! I would like see us all make the same pay but I do understand some areas cost more to live! If you can't get nation wide pay scale, I would like to see the bottom scale abolished. 2 pay rates high cost of living then everyone else!

I understand if it gets to the point of a contract it's not going to be perfect and at some point it will mean get what you can in the first one then work on it each contract! I would like see us all make the same pay but I do understand some areas cost more to live! If you can't get nation wide pay scale, I would like to see the bottom scale abolished. 2 pay rates high cost of living then everyone else!

I think it's adorable that you guys think you're going to get a great contract the first time and make it better every time after.

I'm mostly pointing out that you guys think every contract you are going to keep improving, you aren't.

Says who? You? Why don't we get through the election process first, then WE will work on our initial contract. Subsequent contracts are a moot point at this time. "Adorable"? Who in the hell do you think you are addressing?

Says who? You? Why don't we get through the election process first, then WE will work on our initial contract. Subsequent contracts are a moot point at this time. "Adorable"? Who in the hell do you think you are addressing?

Don't cuss at me, I have been nothing but civil, you guys are the ones working on a contract before you even have a vote. The rest is from my personnel experience is that every contract negotiation I've been through we have have up a little more than we get.

Don't cuss at me, I have been nothing but civil, you guys are the ones working on a contract before you even have a vote. The rest is from my personnel experience is that every contract negotiation I've been through we have have up a little more than we get.

I see. I guess the fact that you stated "I think it's adorable you guys. ....." is lost on you. Implying we are naive, ignorant, or just plain stupid, and that we are to be treated as children. It was a condescending remark, and I called you on it. As far as working on a contract goes, I don't see a problem with SW starting this thread. It's the prudent thing to do. This is the perfect forum for us to discuss issues we want addressed in the event we win the election. You're out of bounds, and off topic.

I think it's adorable that you guys think you're going to get a great contract the first time and make it better every time after.
First sentence third word of my comment IF! IF (noun) 1. Condition, stipulation 2. Supposition- the act of supposing!
Suppose there come a time we have to consider a contract!
Not a perfect contract! IMPERFECT ( adjective ) 1. Not perfect!
They just ask for ideas that's all this tread is about!

I see. I guess the fact that you stated "I think it's adorable you guys. ....." is lost on you. Implying we are naive, ignorant, or just plain stupid, and that we are to be treated as children. It was a condescending remark, and I called you on it. As far as working on a contract goes, I don't see a problem with SW starting this thread. It's the prudent thing to do. This is the perfect forum for us to discuss issues we want addressed in the event we win the election. You're out of bounds, and off topic.

Good you picked up on that, I thought I would have to explain it. First off, I never said stupid. Naive and ignorant are not analogist to stupid. My wife has a college degree and is way smarter than me but she is ignorant about the brakes on her car, where as I can fix her brakes with no trouble. Is she stupid? No just ignorant. As in my opinion are you on the subject of unions and contract negotiations. I might add also a little thin skinned, you can't stand to be challenged, calm down. Also me being out of line is not up to you and I'm directly on subject.
The subject is union contract wishes and I'm pointing out you deficiencies.

Care to say how many negotiations you've been directly involved in? Line of work, specifically? Number of employees? Stability of company? Etc.

Care to say how many negotiations you've been directly involved in? Line of work, specifically? Number of employees? Stability of company? Etc.

Directly involved in 0, you guys won't be involved negotiations either. You will go negotiations meeting at your local to tell them what you want, then the will take your concerns to a committee that will negotiate on your behalf. I'm in construction I belong to the International Union of Operating engineers local 18, I also have several years in the Teamsters local 284 and about 9 months in local 504. The local 18 has about 15,000 members. Stability of the company is irrelevant as the building trades union's work a little different than the kind of union environment your looking at. How many negotiations have you been involved in?

Directly involved in 0, you guys won't be involved negotiations either. You will go negotiations meeting at your local to tell them what you want, then the will take your concerns to a committee that will negotiate on your behalf. I'm in construction I belong to the International Union of Operating engineers local 18, I also have several years in the Teamsters local 284 and about 9 months in local 504. The local 18 has about 15,000 members. Stability of the company is irrelevant as the building trades union's work a little different than the kind of union environment your looking at. How many negotiations have you been involved in?
Sorry, I meant to say through, well aware of the process. Just wanted to know a number, how many negotiations you have been through in the construction world. Thx

Sorry, I meant to say through, well aware of the process. Just wanted to know a number, how many negotiations you have been through in the construction world. Thx

I guess about 5 personally, plus I have talked at length with older members of both unions as well as members of other unions about contracts. That is what I'm basing my statements on giving things up at every contract. Every negotiation meeting I've been involved in we have given our list and with out fail they have came back and said this is the best we are going to get, "we think you should vote for this". I can not site one instance where we have gotten anything meaningful besides a raise.

I guess about 5 personally, plus I have talked at length with older members of both unions as well as members of other unions about contracts. That is what I'm basing my statements on giving things up at every contract. Every negotiation meeting I've been involved in we have given our list and with out fail they have came back and said this is the best we are going to get, "we think you should vote for this". I can not site one instance where we have gotten anything meaningful besides a raise.

Out of those 5, how many were initial contracts?

I guess about 5 personally, plus I have talked at length with older members of both unions as well as members of other unions about contracts. That is what I'm basing my statements on giving things e at every contract. Every negotiation meeting I've been involved in we have given our list and with out fail they have came back and said this is the best we are going to get, "we think you should vote for this". I can not site one instance where we have gotten anything meaningful besides a raise.

OK, I can appreciate why you would have the opinion you have, which is your contention that getting less is always the end result. Not trying to downplay or diminish what you're saying, I would just say, that for me having been in the construction world for about 12 years and trucking for over 20 years, having worked for small outfits as well as large, that there is a big difference between the two "professions", as well as the people involved. And that one has an endless source of employees to draw from, the other a shortage. One size does not fit all is how I'm looking at it, while what you say may well be the case at some point, it may not. I'm not much for trying to win someone over or be won over. I have my experiences, my gut, and the ability to make good decisions so far up to this point in my life. This topic is not enough to influence me one way or the other....only I would concede it is something to be mindful of when that bus ride approaching the bridge (negotiation) comes, not as a deterent to get on the bus and ride in the first place.

OK, I can appreciate why you would have the opinion you have, which is your contention that getting less is always the end result. Not trying to downplay or diminish what you're saying, I would just say, that for me having been in the construction world for about 12 years and trucking for over 20 years, having worked for small outfits as well as large, that there is a big difference between the two "professions", as well as the people involved. And that one has an endless source of employees to draw from, the other a shortage. One size does not fit all is how I'm looking at it, while what you say may well be the case at some point, it may not. I'm not much for trying to win someone over or be won over. I have my experiences, my gut, and the ability to make good decisions so far up to this point in my life. This topic is not enough to influence me one way or the other....only I would concede it is something to be mindful of when that bus ride approaching the bridge (negotiation) comes, not as a deterent to get on the bus and ride in the first place.

I appreciate your candor, and I'm not now and never have said you should vote no. I'm just trying to keep it honest. I'm not saying you will always loose. I am saying that besides a little more money here or there and a tweak to the bidding process or something like that, you are not going to get big sweeping changes. But on this board and by extension I have to assume in the break rooms as well the pro union side is saying, just get the first contract in and then next time we will make it way better. Where is the example of that ever happening?

Perhaps that is so to some degree. I am only guestimating that only a small percentage of employees actually post here from either side. And that maybe a large percentage of those are very passionate; pissed, fearful, or any other level of emotion and some generalize, exaggerate, or like to stir the pudding. Many don't care to elaborate or post a manifesto or its that they could be setting certain specifics aside until later? I'll finish by saying that I directly work with some pretty damn smart drivers at my barn. Nobody is wet behind the ears. Are there some who might be ahem......next in line or a spot or two back? Absolutely, and I'm somewhere in it. I know the ones ahead of me. But, we all come from a broad spectrum of past professions. Intellect/intelligence, work ethic, age etc. And last, to answer your question, I don't know. A good answer(s) is out there somewhere

Exactly! !