ABF | Locking empty trailers

GO40

TB Legend
Credits
Why are we now locking empty trailers? The time and money being wasted by opening & closing barn doors & then putting a lock on them when they are against the dock is crazy. It takes about a hour for each shift to reopen & close & lock every trailer, so let’s say two hours a day times 52 weeks is a little over 31,000 a year wasted & that’s only using straight time. Outbound is usually on overtime, this math is only one terminal im sure the time will vary by terminal size & number of employees. This is based off of a 40 door & 18 man seniority list….

Last edited:
Why are we now locking empty trailers? The time and money being wasted by opening & closing barn doors & then putting a lock on them when they are against the dock is crazy. It takes about a hour for each shift to reopen & close & lock every trailer, so let’s say two hours a day times 52 weeks is a little over 31,000 a year wasted & that’s only using straight time. Outbound is usually on overtime, this math is only one terminal im sure the time will vary by terminal size & number of employees. This is based off of a 40 door & 18 man seniority list….
You need a hobby! :poke: :hide::hysterical:

If you don't lock the trailers, some squatter will show up with a fake lease and start using the trailer to pick up all the amazon packages from porches. Locking the trailers prevents porch pirates. Also, a locked trailer prevents some politician from using the trailers to house illegal immigrants. It's just good common sense to lock the trailers.

Back in the late 90's early 2000's a memo came out for us to do the same. Reason being the crooks wouldn't know which ones were loaded. Rest easy it didn't last long , at our barn anyway!!

If you don't lock the trailers, some squatter will show up with a fake lease and start using the trailer to pick up all the amazon packages from porches. Locking the trailers prevents porch pirates. Also, a locked trailer prevents some politician from using the trailers to house illegal immigrants. It's just good common sense to lock the trailers.
I should have added they the main reason for posting this is they are really pushing the production numbers & this is a dock #s’ killer….

If they really really really wanted to.. they can get that trailer door open.. we all can

How many barn door trailers does Fed ex have? We have way more barn doors then rollers which takes a hell of a lot longer then just pulling a down a door. And like I mentioned in previous post, they are really pushing productivity….
Why fret (wow, never used that word before) about it? It's a management issue and you're all on the clock right? When I was paid hourly I did exactly what management said to do, safely and carefully. :smile new:

Why fret (wow, never used that word before) about it? It's a management issue and you're all on the clock right? When I was paid hourly I did exactly what management said to do, safely and carefully. :smile new:
I don’t think I’m fretting at all just don’t believe it’s a real smart move. I have a peddle run so it doesn’t affect me. Remember every bad decision can have a negative effect come contact time….

Usually lock them up on over time.... Not a big deal for me.

I don’t think I’m fretting at all just don’t believe it’s a real smart move. I have a peddle run so it doesn’t affect me. Remember every bad decision can have a negative effect come contact time….
I have found over the years that when management institutes some new policy, the best way to have it rescinded is to do exactly what management wants us to do and to do it safely and carefully. It usually doesn't take long for them to see the error of their ways. :idunno: