ABF | Locking empty trailers

PIE sealed the hoods on the tractors and posted a notice you would be subject to dismissal if caught with the seal broken.
A driver called in with the tractor running hot.
When asked if it was low on water, he replied, we are not allowed to raise the hood, send a vendor.
The seal rule didn't last very long.
When i was with O.D long ago they had a seal rule that the seal on the trailers were not to be removed except by O.D worker at a terminal. They were using those big thick bolt looking seals that had to be cut with a bolt cutter. I got pulled in a weigh station one day and officer told me he needed to remove the seal to look in. I told him no sir only O.D persons at a terminal could. So he said what did you say. So i repeated it. So he says well if you don't open it im arresting you. So i called terminal and they said let him open it because they were okd to, but they never told me that until then. He got his bolt cutter because i didn't have one and looked in. Nothing wrong and then he put a seal of his back on. He then told me that id better never tell an officer that they can't look in a trailer again. I said yes sir im sorry. He then said get out of here.

When i was with O.D long ago they had a seal rule that the seal on the trailers were not to be removed except by O.D worker at a terminal. They were using those big thick bolt looking seals that had to be cut with a bolt cutter. I got pulled in a weigh station one day and officer told me he needed to remove the seal to look in. I told him no sir only O.D persons at a terminal could. So he said what did you say. So i repeated it. So he says well if you don't open it im arresting you. So i called terminal and they said let him open it because they were okd to, but they never told me that until then. He got his bolt cutter because i didn't have one and looked in. Nothing wrong and then he put a seal of his back on. He then told me that id better never tell an officer that they can't look in a trailer again. I said yes sir im sorry. He then said get out of here.
I see you never ran Fla.
At one time they opened every tenth trailer and looked inside.
They once opened my trailer and freight fell out on the ground.
He got two more guys and 2 ladders and loaded it back, he looked at me and asked, you are laughing your azz off, aren't you? I turned my head and walked off.
They always replaced the seal with theirs and signed your trip card.

Why are we now locking empty trailers? The time and money being wasted by opening & closing barn doors & then putting a lock on them when they are against the dock is crazy. It takes about a hour for each shift to reopen & close & lock every trailer, so let’s say two hours a day times 52 weeks is a little over 31,000 a year wasted & that’s only using straight time. Outbound is usually on overtime, this math is only one terminal im sure the time will vary by terminal size & number of employees. This is based off of a 40 door & 18 man seniority list….
Because the people making the decisions have NEVER done the job !!