XPO | Looking to Make A Move

I live between two terminals also. I chose to go to the bigger one with the FAC. Well, the FAC now has only a few drivers come in each night and has not grown at all in the 13 years I've been here. The other terminal has not only grown, but they also run more miles than I do and get paid more per hour and per mile due to "market value"! So while I agree that location is important, things do change as time goes on. It's a crap shoot for sure.
I find that I'm in a similar situation as you, rollin, except after 13 years in, I don't like the direction XPO is going and I would like to get out of what I see as a sinking ship.

So many guys leaving. And so many going to OD. First advice to this man is that he look at other LTL alternatives. If XPO is all that will hire him. It is a vast improvement over humping ::shit:: around all over. If he is lucky enough to work steady. But it's not what it once was. Use extreme caution when considering options.

Basically they don't pay you any more then they have to, right? If they are having a hard time finding drivers, the market value goes up. If it costs more to live in a certain area, Boston for example, your pay rate will reflect it.

Which is a bunch of crap. They are allegedly short drivers everywhere. Is the pay going up ?

It's not the cost of living so much, but the cost of acquiring and retaining a driver. Let's say it's relatively easy to find drivers in the Boston area, but a lot more difficult in the middle of Iowa. The Iowa driver would get paid more. That's why there are some low cost areas with higher pay, and high cost areas with lower. Not a whole lot, but some.
What if everyone got paid the same, reguardless of where they live? I doubt a driver in Iowa makes more than one in Boston...And the company not trying to convince everyone that is the industry standard...

What if everyone got paid the same, reguardless of where they live? I doubt a driver in Iowa makes more than one in Boston...And the company not trying to convince everyone that is the industry standard...

That was an example, to make a point. It's not strictly the cost of living that decides top pay, it's a variety of factors.

And if everyone got paid the same, the company would either be paying drivers is some areas more than is necessary, or would be unable to attract drivers in others.

And as far as I know, nobody is trying to convince you of anything.

That was an example, to make a point. It's not strictly the cost of living that decides top pay, it's a variety of factors.

And if everyone got paid the same, the company would either be paying drivers is some areas more than is necessary, or would be unable to attract drivers in others.

And as far as I know, nobody is trying to convince you of anything.
Not trying to argue the point,Cc,but yes,why shouldn't everyone make the same. They also state in their help wanted adds that you have to work there so long to be offered medical.if they would offer insurance from the start,without strings attached,it may just get more people to apply....

Not trying to argue the point,Cc,but yes,why shouldn't everyone make the same. They also state in their help wanted adds that you have to work there so long to be offered medical.if they would offer insurance from the start,without strings attached,it may just get more people to apply....

Really it's because people with a lot more responsibility than either me or you have decided that the best way to attract and retain employees in certain markets was to pay them a higher rate. The old supply and demand thing. If we offered less, we wouldn't attract anyone.

As far as benefits, I may be wrong, but I believe new hires are given benefits from day one now. It's a bare bones plan, but they upgrade to the full plan after a year (I may be fuzzy on that, anyone with more info, please correct me). And i don't mean to be argumentative either, but I will say that the last time I worked for a NMFA company, it took me about 6 months to get benefits.

Really it's because people with a lot more responsibility than either me or you have decided that the best way to attract and retain employees in certain markets was to pay them a higher rate. The old supply and demand thing. If we offered less, we wouldn't attract anyone.

As far as benefits, I may be wrong, but I believe new hires are given benefits from day one now. It's a bare bones plan, but they upgrade to the full plan after a year (I may be fuzzy on that, anyone with more info, please correct me). And i don't mean to be argumentative either, but I will say that the last time I worked for a NMFA company, it took me about 6 months to get benefits.

tBpKG2A.jpg

Found this on Indeed. The comp and benefit section is what I was referring to. As far as NMFA benefits,when I started at RDWY,I had insurance after my 30 days probation. Thx.

Let me ask you all a question in a scenario like this. If you had lost your current spot where your at now, would you be willing to start at the bottom again? I'm talking in today's market, no rolling back the clock. You hadn't been fired or anything disgruntle. Would you be knocking on the TM's door knowing the company's reputation, what it has to offer (pay, benefits, etc), your current family position. Even if it's a different terminal location.

Let me ask you all a question in a scenario like this. If you had lost your current spot where your at now, would you be willing to start at the bottom again? I'm talking in today's market, no rolling back the clock. You hadn't been fired or anything disgruntle. Would you be knocking on the TM's door knowing the company's reputation, what it has to offer (pay, benefits, etc), your current family position. Even if it's a different terminal location.
They definitely would not be my first choice just saying.

Care to elaborate on that at all?
I worked for CON-WAY over 20 years. I have been gone a while, I got tired of the excess stupidity Lean program etc. I have since learned that there are plenty of good driving jobs out there. I can't speak for XPO, I left before the sale, but they still have a lot of Con-way brass hanging out still making bad decisions IMO. Also at my Barn , several drivers left most that had several years invested.

I would talk to UPS Freight.They still have a pension

I would talk to UPS Freight.They still have a pension

Many yrs back I was all about pensions, and that's one of the reasons I am where I am. Now if that pension doesn't get moved, fixed, might not be anything left in the future. Now I don't know anything about UPS Freights pension, rock solid or not.

On the otherhand the UPS Freight in the area, I'll bet they haven't done anything (invested) into that place since the Overnight days. There lots of other companies OTR trailers in the lot, not sure what that's all about.

Granted the benefits might be the best there is to offer, but keep in mind your going to work for about 17 something an hr to start. Maybe that's the way to thin out the applications. Your seniority doesn't hold up if you switch from p&d to linehaul or vice a versa, back to the bottom. Not ideal if life changes and you have time in with the company.

That's just my 2 cents. Everybody has their own situations and the opportunity might be perfect for what works for them.

Care to elaborate on that at all?

We are going through the pains of restructuring. Con-way got bought up by a multi national mega conglomerate. The future vision of XPO LTL is unclear. And can completely change on a whim, for the good or the bad. In the mean time. We are in between. Wondering what will shake out.

If I was outside looking in. I would stay away from XPO LTL. Look to an established company with clear direction. UPS, FedEx or OD. I worked for UPS, can't stand the militaristic bullshit. So FedEx would be my number one. OD second. Based on what my peers that have fled this mess have said about their jobs. FedEx works the dock and does short runs mostly. OD is just driving but the runs are longer. I ain't much of a truck driver so the FedEx version appeals more to me. Which also needs to be taken into account. Do you just wanna drive ? You were humping ::shit:: by hand before. Getting paid to sit on a forklift ain't bad at all. But many " pro " drivers can't stand the thought of it.

We are going through the pains of restructuring. Con-way got bought up by a multi national mega conglomerate. The future vision of XPO LTL is unclear. And can completely change on a whim, for the good or the bad. In the mean time. We are in between. Wondering what will shake out.

If I was outside looking in. I would stay away from XPO LTL. Look to an established company with clear direction. UPS, FedEx or OD. I worked for UPS, can't stand the militaristic :horseshit:. So FedEx would be my number one. OD second. Based on what my peers that have fled this mess have said about their jobs. FedEx works the dock and does short runs mostly. OD is just driving but the runs are longer. I ain't much of a truck driver so the FedEx version appeals more to me. Which also needs to be taken into account. Do you just wanna drive ? You were humping :::shit::: by hand before. Getting paid to sit on a forklift ain't bad at all. But many " pro " drivers can't stand the thought of it.
Best advice yet
Although I would put UPS freight at the top of my list. Rock solid parent company and wages that will steadly increase over the years.

Many yrs back I was all about pensions, and that's one of the reasons I am where I am. Now if that pension doesn't get moved, fixed, might not be anything left in the future. Now I don't know anything about UPS Freights pension, rock solid or not.

On the otherhand the UPS Freight in the area, I'll bet they haven't done anything (invested) into that place since the Overnight days. There lots of other companies OTR trailers in the lot, not sure what that's all about.

Granted the benefits might be the best there is to offer, but keep in mind your going to work for about 17 something an hr to start. Maybe that's the way to thin out the applications. Your seniority doesn't hold up if you switch from p&d to linehaul or vice a versa, back to the bottom. Not ideal if life changes and you have time in with the company.

That's just my 2 cents. Everybody has their own situations and the opportunity might be perfect for what works for them.
Just giving you information. My dispatcher came from UPS freight. One reason for quitting was PT. Most of the company drivers sat while freight was given to the PT drivers. They disagreed and was called out on it. They left and came here. It might be different in other areas of the country. PNW area. Best dispatcher I have worked for. Our company doesn't do any PT. A lot of our newer drivers are from Conway/EXPO. Mass exodus. LTL is a great opportunity. Check with other companies. Saia, YRC, Reddaway, Estes or OD. Best of luck.

I worked for CON-WAY over 20 years. I have been gone a while, I got tired of the excess stupidity Lean program etc. I have since learned that there are plenty of good driving jobs out there. I can't speak for XPO, I left before the sale, but they still have a lot of Con-way brass hanging out still making bad decisions IMO. Also at my Barn , several drivers left most that had several years invested.
Yes there is some old Con-way brass around. The one thing I can say is that they are towing the XPO line and if not they are shown the door. The only old Con-way brass in my district is the head HR manger all the others were fired or quit before they got fired.

Back in 2000 I worked for American Freightways. You were treated well and pay and benefits were around industry standards for the time. In late 2000 FedEx bought AF and Viking and in 2001 and 2002 is when all the changes started, I was young and angry at what was happening to AF that I left the company in 2002. Now look at were the FedEx Freight is today. I know I can't go back and change the past, but if I would have stayed I would have been there for almost 20yrs, started in 98. Reading these post now about how FedEx is one of the places to go just make me wander what will be said about XPO in 5yrs, 10yrs, or even 15yrs from now. No one here has a magic ball and know the future of any of these companies. I do know one thing though the company has to make a profit to operating. I sure if you went back 20yrs ago and told CF driver that Labor day 2002 that CF was closing their door you would have been laughed off the property and told we are to big to fail.
Other poster have post that they found that there are other good companies to work for. Well what good for you might not be good to someone else.
I not saying XPO is the greatest company out there but they are no were near the worst.
I one thing we must all remember is that a CDL driver with a clean record is in high demand and I know if XPO closed it door tomorrow that 1. all the freight we move has to be moved by someone else and 2. I would have no problem finding a job.

one thing we must all remember is that a CDL driver with a clean record is in high demand and I know if XPO closed it door tomorrow that 1. all the freight we move has to be moved by someone else and 2. I would have no problem finding a job.

True - a clean driving record and all your endorsements and some experience are valuable.

What about the supervisors and managers? Where will they go. Where have they been going to? The ranks seem to be thinning out ( at least in my area )

True - a clean driving record and all your endorsements and some experience are valuable.

What about the supervisors and managers? Where will they go. Where have they been going to? The ranks seem to be thinning out ( at least in my area )

And can't hire no one to do their jobs. Training dock hands into FOSs too.