Yellow | Management monitoring T.B.!!!!

Unless your goofy enough to use your real name, or your the only guy in a 1 man terminal, there is no real way to prove you posted anything, even if you take credit for it in the TM's office. So keep on telling the truth, share info. The internet, and Truckingboards in particular, is the best thing that ever happened to the working man.:1036316054:

Lot's of management from all the companies, union and non alike, not only read the posts here, but also make posts themselves. I had a TM at 187, checked the boards on a regular basis, knew who I was, and did whatever he could to bust my nutz :nutkick: My previous steward also knew that I was posting and the TM was reading, and advised me to stop, if I knew what was good for me.

Well guess what??????

I never stopped posting.
I still post here regularly.
I have a new steward that reads and posts here on occasion.
My TM has been transferred to another facility. (sorry Baltimore)
I still have my job and will not change anything I do. :1036316054:
And I will continue to post here. :smilie_132:

Too bad the analysts that cover their stock from the brokerage houses dont read all this stuff, or perhaps maybe they could be enlightened to this ground level three dimensional real world source of information..........

I think its great that the company follows TB postings. It keeps them in touch w/the pulse of the workers. Over in Yellow, we even have Corpoffice. He jumps in frequently and provides the companies management perspective on some of our discussions. You can see by his Rep, we all value his insights.
Its also nice that the people at the top are given insight to others views and observations on lower level management. Many a terminal scandal has been revealed here, that upper management acted on down the road. You have to wonder if they got the first clue here. Not that I would expect them to be thrilled at our comments on the overall direction at times, however even that info has value. One of the reasons I became a Mod, was to help make the union experience on TB better. I think our members do a great job conveying valuable info to each other and the company. :1036316054:

Many of you know I have been critical of the company also in my postings at times, so others not aware of the fact, don't think I'm a suck up!!!

Just to give everyone an update.....On Friday I showed up to work with a printed copy of my original post of "Penny's from Heaven" taped to the front of my Teamsters t-shirt. I was asked to remove it and I said no. The steward came back to the dock where I was working and told me the t.m. was going to fire me if I didn't remove the paper from my shirt and I told him I would not take it off until I spoke with the b.a. About a half an hour later the steward returns to the dock and tells me the b.a. is on the phone. The b.a. proceeds to tell me that they can fire me for this and he had a case similar to this at ABF. He then told me that he would be able to get my job back but it would take a week or two and he said he does not want to see a guy like me with a young family go thru this. I told him a agree with him and would take it off and told him for the record that the reason I was wearing this was not because the t.m. broke the contract but because the company broke my civil liberties by envading my privacy when they confronted me about something I posted on T.B. on my private pc in the privacy of my own home.

Just to give everyone an update.....On Friday I showed up to work with a printed copy of my original post of "Penny's from Heaven" taped to the front of my Teamsters t-shirt. I was asked to remove it and I said no. The steward came back to the dock where I was working and told me the t.m. was going to fire me if I didn't remove the paper from my shirt and I told him I would not take it off until I spoke with the b.a. About a half an hour later the steward returns to the dock and tells me the b.a. is on the phone. The b.a. proceeds to tell me that they can fire me for this and he had a case similar to this at ABF. He then told me that he would be able to get my job back but it would take a week or two and he said he does not want to see a guy like me with a young family go thru this. I told him a agree with him and would take it off and told him for the record that the reason I was wearing this was not because the t.m. broke the contract but because the company broke my civil liberties by envading my privacy when they confronted me about something I posted on T.B. on my private pc in the privacy of my own home.

I don't think you have a claim to invasion of privacy. You posted something on a public message board, thus making it public domain. What you do have however, is a violation of your Federally given constitutional rights to Freedom of Speech. I almost had a similar situation regarding my freedom of speech, but the steward got involved, pointed out the error in my TM's thinking, and it was nipped in the butt. You could try this course of action with your BA, but I think his answer will be similar to my steward's.

You have a right to post anything factual on here but NOTHING ON THE INTERNET IS PRIVATE. Wake up, if you can find and read it anyone with internet can also. Any one with a library card can access the internet. And anything on the internet can be accessed FOREVER, even if deleted from some computers it exists on others, until the owners of those computers decide otherwise. Also you don't have freedom of speech in the workplace, even being union. While in someone's employ, you belong to them, look it up newspeople have been sued for accepting paychecks while working undercover.

Were you ever told exactly what you were going to fired for specifically? You are correct in having those constitutional rights and I have learned in a labor relation class that they are still very strong things to hang your hat on IF you can prove they've been violated in a court of law. Furthermore, I would keep a record of all of the people and details of this on paper, so if this does come back at you down the road you'll have something. A very smart and successful business man once told me that the person with the most documentation usually wins... :shades:

Overall, I am curious as to what you would of been officially nailed with by the company, but I have a feeling it would have been some off the wall charges.

Were you ever told exactly what you were going to fired for specifically? You are correct in having those constitutional rights and I have learned in a labor relation class that they are still very strong things to hang your hat on IF you can prove they've been violated in a court of law. Furthermore, I would keep a record of all of the people and details of this on paper, so if this does come back at you down the road you'll have something. A very smart and successful business man once told me that the person with the most documentation usually wins...

Overall, I am curious as to what you would of been officially nailed with by the company, but I have a feeling it would have been some off the wall charges.

How bout disobeying a direct work order, that is only limited to unsafe acts. If they can require drivers to wear a uniform they certainly can require a worker not to wear a written statement insulting the company. I'm not taking a company stance, just being realistic. Fact is in the last 20 years us workers have lost many human rights in the workplace.:deal::cuss::realmad::ranting2: Deep cleansing breaths, deep cleansing breaths, ok I'm feeling better now.

How bout disobeying a direct work order, that is only limited to unsafe acts. If they can require drivers to wear a uniform they certainly can require a worker not to wear a written statement insulting the company. I'm not taking a company stance, just being realistic. Fact is in the last 20 years us workers have lost many human rights in the workplace.

Yeah, your right too. Thats why I am wondering what they were going to get him with officially. Overall, the rights have been dwindling away and theres no question about that there... :furious:

Also you don't have freedom of speech in the workplace, even being union.

You have the right to freedom of speech anywhere at anytime in the United States, with the following exceptions.
There are exceptions to the general protection of speech, however, including the Miller test for obscenity, child p*rn laws, and regulation of commercial speech such as advertising. Other limitations on free speech often balance rights to free speech and other rights, such as property rights for authors and inventors (copyright), interests in fair political campaigns (Campaign finance laws), protection from imminent or potential violence against particular persons (restrictions on Hate speech or fighting words), or the use of untruths to harm others (slander).
The use of untruths to harm others could also include yelling bomb or fire in situations where they don't exist, leading to panic and unrest. It doesn't say anything about these rights being nonexistant in the workplace. As I mentioned before, I had a situation where my former TM told me to keep my thoughts and words to myself, basically stifling my rights. My steward then got involved and informed the TM of his violation of my rights to Freedom of Speech. I was then called back into the office where the situation was rectified. Looking back at that situation now, I feel as though I should have followed up on those charges, but things ended working out for the best anyway, since he (TM) is no longer at my terminal.

big dogs watching boards,eh?

Yo, G.B. check it out. :tongue0002::tongue0002::tongue0002::tongue0002:

You have the right to freedom of speech anywhere at anytime in the United States, with the following exceptions.
There are exceptions to the general protection of speech, however, including the Miller test for obscenity, child p*rn laws, and regulation of commercial speech such as advertising. Other limitations on free speech often balance rights to free speech and other rights, such as property rights for authors and inventors (copyright), interests in fair political campaigns (Campaign finance laws), protection from imminent or potential violence against particular persons (restrictions on Hate speech or fighting words), or the use of untruths to harm others (slander).
The use of untruths to harm others could also include yelling bomb or fire in situations where they don't exist, leading to panic and unrest. It doesn't say anything about these rights being nonexistant in the workplace. As I mentioned before, I had a situation where my former TM told me to keep my thoughts and words to myself, basically stifling my rights. My steward then got involved and informed the TM of his violation of my rights to Freedom of Speech. I was then called back into the office where the situation was rectified. Looking back at that situation now, I feel as though I should have followed up on those charges, but things ended working out for the best anyway, since he (TM) is no longer at my terminal.

100% right! And as you say nothing in your post prevents anyone who works for a YRC company to say what the hell he/she wants when they want too!
The more I think about this the more pissed I get!
Two inventions have done more to keep Teamsters informed about the doings on the Road or the latest "B.S." the Company is trying to pull, The Cell phone and the internet.
Would I be correct to think that someone wants to keep us in the "Dark Ages"?
Having said that and understanding that people will use this board to "alive their frustrations" What I can't understand is why the hell management cannot see T.B. as a valubile tool to see problems comming and fix them before anyone has to file or complain? My God why cause a problem when you can get some good out of it?
The genie is out of the bag so to speak and there is no going back! Teamsters are going to stay connected and no one is going to "Pull something unless we all know about it!
Here's hopeing that A.G.O. and Overland Park wake up to the realilty of the Internet!

I have no problem with management reading or posting here.
I do have a problem with managment hunting down any1 here just to try to INTIMADATE and HARASS them . thats just wrong and unacceptable.
Instead if they would pay attention maybe the could learn something from us dumb TEAMSTERS

it reads more like a communist manafesto than a law that would apply to whats going on here

Absract?

as i understand this link was a ABSTRACT from a duke law school student.

I think it would be more properly refered to as an "iBRIEF" written by Konrad Lee
The foot notes ID the author:
1. Assistant Professor of Business Law, Management and Human Resources Department, Utah State University, Logan, Utah. B.A., University of Calgary; M.B.A., Brigham Young University; J.D., Brigham Young University. The author expresses profound appreciation to graduate assistant, AmberLee Shepherd, for her invaluable assistance in the preparation of this manuscript.

The points that I specifically referenced were:
III. Internet Speech Anonymity and Blogs and IV. Internet Blogger Identity Disclosure Cases These had to do more with past case law and could therefore give us an indication on how the courts might rule in the future on similar matters.

hopfully since its 2 1/2 years old its been updated to a higher standard by now although since G.W. BUSH :toxic: is still in office i doubt it.
seems hes more worried about the rights of 3rd world countries than the people in this country :sadwavey: